Open Source, Open Architecture!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zenmasterbrain,

Here's a link to a Stanford Univ. bulletin board which deals with a Open Source/ Open Hardware project for high end audio. http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2006/04/0016.html

It's basically a side project for the Open Graphics Project. Here's a quote:

One such idea that's been brought up before is ultra high end audio.
The low-end is solved; it's called AC97 and is found in every PC
chipset you can buy today. But imagine taking what would normally
cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in audio recording and
production equipment and applying the open source model to it.

Is this what you are after?

John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's just dvd player software. I have an older version which performs well, but it still requires either a surround sound audio card or an external decoder/receiver connected via spdif.

A powered surround sound speaker system would obviate the need for a surround sound receiver, but how good the results would be I'm not sure. My current desktop supports dolby 5.1, but I use it in stereo only with a Cambridge Soundworks powered stereo speaker system with sub. it's ok.. LOL

IMO PC based players have a way to go to match even a cheap dvd player in terms of convenience and ease of use. PC based audio players are even worse.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Zen,

It's an older version, as I recall it gives several options as to what resources the sound is passed to. It all depends on what the audio card/integrated sound on your mobo can support. Beyond allowing the pass through of various formats the player doesn't do anything to the audio. (Note that surround codecs may come bundled with the player software so the above ascertion is not absolute. LOL)

Decoding is either performed externally via a decoder/surround receiver connected by spdif or internally if the sound card supports dolby/dts and your pc has the requisite audio codecs (software, not hardware) installed.

Most better sound cards and motherboards with integrated audio support coaxial spdif, a few also optical. In some cases you will have to buy an adaptor that goes in one of the rear slots to make the connections required with integrated sound - the same may or may not be true for separate sound cards.

M-audio supports spdif in the 2496 model and above, many sound cards with the via envy also support spdif. (Chaintek AVS-710 IIRC asio compatible too) Cards from RME, M-audio, and EMU amongst others generally support asio, direct pass through mode for surround via spdif and have better converters. (Asio allows you to totally bypass the windows sound dll (winmixer, resampler, etc..) which is kind of important for good *stereo* sound quality over spdif.)

Most AC-97 compliant hardware uses a hardware based resampler which in some cases cannot be defeated for stereo, most allow pass through of dolby and dts. Most Realtec chipsets used in cheap sound cards and integrated sound should be avoided for this reason if high quality stereo is the primary motivation. Better cards based on the Via Envy processing engine which is AC-97 compliant have a non resample option that can be used in stereo as well as dts/dolby.

That said I don't use the surround sound capability at all on my desktop as I am not a big fan of surround sound. (Been there, done that - imho for music anyway high end stereo is FAR preferable to good surround.) I do most of my listening down in my basement media room where a media server configured for stereo operation over spdif is the primary source. Take a look at my media server thread for my experience in this area.

As always YMMV.

So it looks like all I would need to make sound now are the right VST plug ins, and a VST host.

Or I could use the Linux standard and DNNI plug ins. VST plug ins can be adapted to be DNNI plug ins.

Then, there can be a quest for an open source host, and open source plug ins.

Finally, there can be porting of software to something more appliance like and cheaper, and diskless, fanless, and Microsoftless.

I do think the promoting, prostelitizing, can make this happen.

I look at this kind of stuff, and all the names and anacronyms make me dizzy in just a few minutes.

But i also see that lots of energy and talent have gone into these kinds of software, and continue to.

Seems to me that what is really needed is a publication, probably online. Say a blog and a forum.

Then the various standards for plugings and hosts can be discussed, as well as the stengths and weakness of what now exists.

The software developers will have to yield to the standards of compatibility which work best and are most prevalent.

They will also be under pressue to go open source. The open source movement will also be drawn to this too.

So really, just by promting this in an open and collaborative way, it should happen!! Lots of people already want it. Some of whats needed is there already.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Take a look at sourceforge.net, you will find a lot of open source media projects there.

I recently installed J.River Media Center 11 and liked it enough to buy it. It supports all of the media formats I currently use either natively or with readily available (and often open source) plugins. Unlike Winamp, FooBar2000 (open source!) or QCD it is not freeware, but at $40 for a license to install it on 2 machines it is a bargain.

It is capable of handling, audio, video, dvd playback, off air TV, and picture media, has a built in server capability to serve media to other machines (will explore this more fully at some point, not using it currently) It is fully compatible with microsoft plays for sure and Apple AAC with DRM (m4p) although they are not allowed to translate from one to the other. I currently use it to play the several hundred m4p songs I have purchased from iTunes as well as flac, m4a, and mp3 encoded material I have in my library.

Many of the plugins written for it are open source. FLAC and other codecs are available for it directly from the J. River site or sourceforge.

Asio, DirectSound and other modes are supported depending on the hardware installed in the pc.

This player is designed to compete with the media edition of WinXP which it does I think quite successfully.

IMO The only open source player listed (FooBar) is also the least desirable currently available. The one big thing I really liked about it was the tabbed playlist feature. Performance with FLAC, ASIO and HDCD encoded material was poor compared to the others. (Couldn't handle the HDCD bit stream cleanly.)

Despite being the most complex player media center 11 (in the short time I have used it) has proven to be considerably more stable than either WinAmp or QCD.

This would be the one to beat I think.. There is a currently a free 30 day trial offer for this software so you can get a sense of exactly what I am talking about.

You're shopping for paint to paint a house that isn't even designed yet. My original point still stands: decide exactly what you want to make. Then go searching for code.

Those online DSP resources aren't really practical anyway; depending on wether the target DSP is fixed point, floating point, etc.. the amount of available ram.. they may be inefficient or even unusable. In reality, you'll be looking at code on there for inspiration only and then writing your own code.

gmarsh said:
decide exactly what you want to make.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen if I were you. It seems to me that zmb has heard a few buzzwords like open source, plug-in and porting, likes the sound of them and so he parrots them and that will probably be the extent of his contribution. Then again, I could be wrong and pigs might fly.

The Open Source movement is a collaborative effort. Thats how it worked in the 1970s, and thats how it is working today.

Looks like there is already a fair amount of open source code. There are also some compatibility standards, like VST.

What there is not yet is a voice of advocacy to promote this movement.

Lots of people are writting code, and lots of people want to write code.

Look at the Open Source PC applications and how far they have come in just a few short years. Open Source audio will be even simpler. It will build on the code already available, and leverage the existing plug in standards.

The element that has not yet emerged is a voice of advocacy.

That could begin anywhere, even here.

Open ended topics will be better received at:
Audio Explorations
http://groups.google.com/group/audioex_amps_atob
http://groups.google.com/group/audioex_amps_dght

The following statement is how I am now seeing this project:

<<
The movement towards open source software is extensive, and
collaborative. No one person or one project is going to make it
happen.

In the area of digital audio, the applications run from recording,
mixing, and processing, to music synthesis, to commericial sound
reinforcement, to domestic listening.

One of the keys will be compatibility or plug in standards. These
provide ways of breaking it down into pieces.

One key result will be platform portability, getting residential
listening off of fixed function boxes with very limited user interface,
on to PCs, but finally onto a more suitable diskless, fanless, and
microsoftless platform.

We can start here be cataloging the best that is now available. Lots
of people are writting code and want to write code. Likewise,
commercial equipment manufacturers do accomodate when standards exist.

What is needed is a voice to advocate for Open Source Digital Audio.
>>

Audio Explorations
http://groups.google.com/group/audioex_amps_dght

new thread for open source digital audio
http://groups.google.com/group/audioex_amps_dght/browse_thread/thread/0327b414e991c9c7?hl=en

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.