opamp plus driver stage and output stage with its own supply, what could happen?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never got on with SketchUp when it first came out, but that drawing looks like it's up there with SolidWorks. (That would have been a great Christmas present - along with a new Macbook that isn't running out of memory and space, like mine is!) It's not New Year yet, but I must take some time out to learn what Solidworks can really do, so I'm going to make that a resolution. Happy Xmas!

Still waiting for HV opamps... Happy new year everyone :D it has been 2014 here for 30 minutes only.
I smoked 2 pairs of outputs yesterday, somehow I managed to connect the supply backwards. Stupid bulb tester bulb was blown :(
I was going to rebuild the amp but then I got high...
From silicon smoke.

I have to continue with single pair. But...
With single pair, at +-15V regulated I heard something WONDERFUL.
I tried with output transistors only but then it started to distort the audio at around 1-1,5W just sounded really wierd.
Im still listening to it, Its pretty loud at +-15V I belive the output power reaches nearly 20W But that could be a lie.

The one on picture has a design failure, those diodes did nothing, I dont know why maybe one or more of them were blown. Didnt check tho
Next one was hard wired and Its still working like a charm.

I bought 20 pairs of those drivers and outputs, for testing porpouses...
Yet I will build one 150W amp for my subwoofer in next few days if they open the damn store so i could buy some more solder, I always run out of solder before i finish my project.

A bit drunk too, must get some sleep. Tomorrow I might talk about it longer.

Getting the supply the wrong way round will do it every time! It's great fun when you have op amps with tants around them - they explode quite spectacularly! It really is worth putting in diodes, if only to avoid this. I have managed to get things the wrong way round even when I have had everything colour coded in red and blue. (somehow one's in a bit of a haze, imagining you are doing everything right, and you just go on and do something stupid.)

You may need to double up on the diodes.
They may not be raising the voltage on the bases high enough to keep the transistors turned on.
It is good to match up the Vfr (diode forward voltage drop) as well.
Diodes are typically .67v for the 1N4148 that I just measured.
Some transistors may require as much as .8V or more if you are using a darlington configuration.
Just be sure that the diode is rated for the base current that is flowing through them.
Else use a higher current diode like a 1N4001 or something.

jer :)

Parasitic oscillations comes to mind as well.

Do you have any small capacitance in parallel with the feedback resistor?
If not try adding some say 20pf to 100 pf ( or more) or so.

Or from the +input to ground works sometimes as there are a few different methods to solve such issues.
I think that is what the .01uf in my schematic was used for, But I am not positive since I tried many power supply configurations as well.

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.