Online crossover calculators --- worth anything?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, guys, I decided to use Zaph's "Budget MTM" design, which uses Dayton DA-175 woofers, with which John Krutke (Zaph) is quite impressed, and the SEAS 27TBFC/G tweeter. I'll use his xover design. Those woofers take the same enclosure size and exact same cutout as the SEAS, so maybe later I'll try the SEAS woofers in the same enclosures once I come up with a suitable xover design. As a bonus, the Dayton drivers are less than a third the cost of the SEAS.

Thanks for all the help!

Gary, also working on a MTM (in over my head with xo :confused:) but other than that all is good :D
I've been doubling up 1/2" layers of plywood (full 1') for the backs of of my speakers, and they have never sounded better. Also I never have removable panels, I glue them up good; both sides of joint, let sit for 5 -10 minutes then clamp 2 hours, or more. I do think most of them will hold up a car.

Here's a stand that I've been working on (not screwed together yet), 2 compartments top and btm.

I assumed that is what I'd end up doing. I designed the enclosure with separate compartments for the xovers, with removable backs.

Attachments

• pmet.jpg
    pmet.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 93
Gary, also working on a MTM (in over my head with xo :confused:) but other than that all is good :D

What drivers are you using?

Mine are 3/4" MDF, except baffle, which is 1-1/4" MDF. 1 ft3, sealed, internally braced. Applied 1st coat of glue sizing today. Plan to take them to an auto body shop for painting with high-gloss automotive enamel.

Here's a stand that I've been working on (not screwed together yet), 2 compartments top and btm.

My "stands" will be a pair of SVS SB12-NSD subs (shown in photo). Will phase them in to match the MTM's natural rolloff (or maybe use the sub's hi-pass line out). The lower section of the MTM will be a separate crossover compartment.

Attachments

• mtm.jpg
    mtm.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 93
What drivers? It was a low cost build, but very happy with end result (which took months and several test boxes)
The Madisound Speaker Store
The Madisound Speaker Store (x2)
Used side ports with flares, an idea from the full rangers.

Did you line the insides with felt? I've been adding 3" x 3" cork squares to each panel also (under the felt). Used water based contact glue from HD to attach; which is a little messy, but works fine.

Attachments

• MTM Small Pic.jpg
    MTM Small Pic.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 67
Did you line the insides with felt? I've been adding 3" x 3" cork squares to each panel also (under the felt). Used water based contact glue from HD to attach; which is a little messy, but works fine.

Zaph recommends stuffing with Acousti-Stuf (for the sealed version. He also has a ported version), so I ordered some. Plan to follow his design pretty closely, except for having xovers in a separate compartment.

Zaph|Audio - Bargain Aluminum MTM

Your build looks great!

Considered building the subs too, but the components alone add up to almost as much as the SB12s. Doesn't pay.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.