One inch waveguide/horn - which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remember that the mesurement shoen above was "raw", that is, without any caps on the driver. For someone who knows about passive filters, it should be fairly simple to produce a reasonably flat response.

This combo sounds pretty good. The highs are more relaxed with this combo than on the BMS 4592 ND. It is probably preferable to place the crossover higher than 1500 Hz. In case you want to go that low, it would probably be better to get a larger horn (e.g., the 600 Hz horn from Stereolab - I think these horns are well made). However, I think that the Beyma TPL-150H's that I use now are a little more revealing and sound somewhat more natural on s- and t-sounds from human voices. They are also quite a bit more expensive, for sure:)

Good luck!

Best regards
Peter

I have attached a measurement I had made with a B&C DE25 (previous model of the DE250) on the StereoLab 1000 Hz horns. As you can see this combo loads down to app. 1500 Hz.

Peter, I want to learn how you are reading this graph. When I look at the graph, I would assume the rolloff at 1500 hz is just the rolloff of the driver, and that it cannot play much lower. Nothing to do with the horn. How do you tell where it is loading versus where the driver rolls off?

thanks.
tom

tomcat9 said:

Peter, I want to learn how you are reading this graph. When I look at the graph, I would assume the rolloff at 1500 hz is just the rolloff of the driver, and that it cannot play much lower. Nothing to do with the horn. How do you tell where it is loading versus where the driver rolls off?

thanks.
tom

Hi Tomcat9,

You are right, that I was somewhat unclear regarding cut-off, since both horn and driver characteristics obviously influence cut-off - thanks for pointing this out!

I haven't checked this out recently, but if I remember correctly then both the B&C DE25 and the newer DE250 model are not recommended to be used lower than 1500 Hz, for PA that is. Thus, the roll-off in the graph may, at least partly, be due to the specific B&C DE25 driver. One the other hand I believe that Earl Geddes used to use the DE25 in the first versions of his Summa's, where I think the crossover point is around 900 Hz, so given that the horn is sufficiently large, the B&C DE25 may be used lower - at least for home use.

The small StereoLab horn is actually only 6.25 cm long. I haven't got a Tractrix calculator at hand (last time I checked the Melhuish calculator was down), but I am not certain that the StereoLab horn will load down to 1000 Hz with any driver. Besides, many people do not recommend using a mid/high horn all the way down to cut-off. If I were to use a StereoLab horn down to app. 1500 Hz, then I think I would go for the >600 hz horn.

Best regards
Peter

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just tried the StereoLab 400hz horns (w/Altec 299 drivers) in my setup, and loved the sound...until I was getting up to fill my coffe-cup.
Dispersion is very narrow.
(I had mine working great with a 12dB/oct active filter set at 660hz)
After a week, the Mantaray horns came back on...

Arne K

Re: 5kHz 12 inch waveguide

dobias said:
What are the advantages & disadvantages of using a 12 inch waveguide only for frequencies above 5 kHz?

It works, 7 kHz here, w/BMS 4540.

I don't understand why all the agony; just do it and find out, the waveguides are $10. Alternative tweeting compression drivers, JBL 2408H and 2414H:

Attachments

• keeper system front a.jpg
    keeper system front a.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 549
12" waveguide

ZilchLab,
It's not the waveguide cost, it's whether or not I can reuse some of my my present OBs or make an entirely new set.
I'm also on the fence as to using a waveguide or a 'dedicated' super tweeter.
The (admittedly) little I know of waveguides, suggest that the upper frequencies beam straight out as if there was little, if any, control imposed by a waveguide.
Frank

Renkus-Heinz Advanced Conic Models

At this time I do not know how availible these are, or if they come in larger sizes, but maybe someone else has some experience with these...:boggled:

This model appears to be the TRX121T/6 x 2 in an array, the waveguide appears to be a 1" designed to work with a 12" woofer...;)

http://www.renkus-heinz.com/pdf_datasheets/RPA_T12.pdf

Attachments

• RH T12_6_2.jpg
    RH T12_6_2.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 428
And there is more...

Circa 2008 approx $125ea. min according to Magnetar...so jbl like pricing...:eek:

Renkus-Heinz 1" Complex Conic Horns
CCH1000/44 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1000Hz,40x40,REV A
CCH1000/64 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1000Hz,60x40,REV A
CCH1000/94 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1000Hz,90x40,REV A
CCH1200-12 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1200Hz,120x60,1"
CCH1200-15 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1200Hz,150x60,1"
CCH1200-9 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1200Hz,90x60,1"
CCH1500-6 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1500Hz,60x40,1"
CCH1500-9 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1500Hz,90x40,1"

Renkus-Heinz 2" Complex Conic Horns
CCH500-66 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1500Hz,60x60,2"
CCH500-94 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,500Hz,90x40,2"
CCH500/44 HORN,COMPLX CONIC,500Hz,40x40,2"
CCH500/64 HORN,COMPLX CONIC,500Hz,60x40,2"

The 500Hz horns appear to use coaxial compression drivers to cover the full 500-18K Hz
Co-entrant drivers are also discussed for the 500Hz horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.