One inch waveguide/horn - which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brett said:

Has anyone bought any of these lately?

I'm interested in 4, but John at AE speakers bought some a while ago and posted pics that were really off putting, especially as I'd have to import them.

Any feedback guys to make me feel more confident?

Assistance Audio says the bolt on DDS are still crap and they only are getting the screw on versions right now but they have none in stock.

sannax said:
Defo: which driver do you have for 1200hz and up..I guess some compressiondriver?

The plan is to use the AE TD12M which has exordinary good extension up 4khz on axis. I guess due to the low induction and phase plug.

ZilchLab said:

The concept is to match woofer and waveguide directivity at the crossover frequency.... :yes:

That was the idea yeah :) If dispersion of the 1000hz Stereo-Lab horn is 60 degrees, and good extension down to about 1800hz as stated earlier in this thread, then I need to know the 60 degree beaming frequenzy of the TD12M.

The crossover is active with 4th order LR slopes.

jzagaja said:
Why we have to buy compression drivers in Europe for 150-400 Euro when made to the same spec in China for almost ten times less? And we have to worry about the fitting.

Where do you buy these chinese versions?

Is there a formula.....

ZilchLab said:

The concept is to match woofer and waveguide directivity at the crossover frequency.... :yes:

to determine woofer directivity at a given crossover frequency. I understand how to calculate when a woofer starts to beam, but can we calculate when a woofer is at 60* directivity vs. 90* directivity?

Or is this a measurement issue, requiring horizontal polars?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

An example - 15" woofer 90 deg (blue) starts to beam at 400Hz and Tractrix horn 400Hz, dome tweeter ca. 30 deg off-axis. Impossible to cross right.

Attachments

• 1021428_1.gif
    1021428_1.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 560
Re: Is there a formula.....

longdrive55 said:

to determine woofer directivity at a given crossover frequency. I understand how to calculate when a woofer starts to beam, but can we calculate when a woofer is at 60* directivity vs. 90* directivity?

The chart in Dickason Fig. 0.14 suggests a 15" is 60° @ ~2 kHz.

There's a formula, Keele, I believe.

OR, you push a button, apparently. Here's a 12" JBL midbass driver:

Attachments

• lf polar.jpg
    lf polar.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 561
Re: Is there a formula.....

longdrive55 said:

The chart in Dickason Fig. 0.14 suggests a 15" is 60° @ ~2 kHz.

There's a formula, Keele, I believe.

OR, you push a button in LEAP Enclosure Shop, apparently. Here's a 12" JBL midbass driver:

Attachments

• lf polar.jpg
    lf polar.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 520
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.