One (1!!) transistor clapping...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john curl said:
Protection diodes are not as necessary in this design, because there is no stepup transformer.

So what if there's no step-up transformer? What difference does that make? And how does this circuit guard against damage from ESD events?

Of course the BUZ900DP has the protection diodes built-in if I'm not mistaken. But what if someone goes and uses other devices?

However, there is no gain, either.

No gain? What do you mean? The input's driving the bottom MOSFET's gate and the output's taken from it's drain. That makes it a common source amplifier no?

se

This may seem redundant, but I feel really foolish. I 'saw' a completely different circuit that what is presented here. I actually 'saw' a zener biased complementary mosfet follower, without source resistors, by an added connection and reversing the parts in my mental picture. It is a good lesson for me to look carefully first, before commenting. I like the pi filter power supply.
The more that I look at this design, the more that I see that I first missed, such as the CR470 'current source' I though that I saw a zener. This is sort of a Norton equivalent of the circuit that I normally would use. I hope that I have beaten SE to any other criticism of my initial remarks.

I was wrong, and I did it from 'poor' memory. I am running out of paper, so I didn't print out the schematic. Then, in my mind, I saw 3.3 rather than 3.3k, the CR470 became a 4.7V zener, and an extra connection was made from the CR470 to the 2.2uf cap. It is a real lesson for me, but please disregard my first posts on this topic. I screwed up.

Just a procedural point, John- you can go back and edit or delete your posts for (I think) about a half-hour after they're up. That way, you can take care of oopsies and typos yourself. If it's been longer and you REALLY want to change or delete something, just ask me or one of the other Moderators; we have magic powers.

tschrama said:
Lets put a 0.5R in the source of the lower transistor to ground and a 100uF cap from the top of that resistor to the gate of the upper transistor....

Tsk tsk tsk.

Safety first, boys. :)

Attachments

• mosfetpoweramp.jpg
    mosfetpoweramp.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 597
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.