On Semi ThermalTrak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JPV said:

As Bob said, Rbb is changing with the collector current. For a normal transistor, Rb increases with decreasing current which is a pitty because correct biasing ( 26mV) has to happen at low current ( at crossover).
Therefore, the only way is to monitor the distortion while adjusting bias. A good experiment would be to monitor distortion while adjusting the base stopper resistor.

JPV

For emitter follower circuits, things are much more complicated than that ... the base resistance, internal and external, is reflected as series inductance in emitter at HF.

roender said:

For emitter follower circuits, things are much more complicated than that ... the base resistance, internal and external, is reflected as series inductance in emitter at HF.

These are two different things:

In the linear small signal approximation, it can be shown that the output impedance of the emitter follower is equivalent to an inductance and resistance network for gm high enough.

I am talking about non linear distortion at crossover and there you have to analyze using the large signal ( exponential) model.

It can be shown that crossover distortion is minimized for a bias current giving a voltage drop of Vt on the equivalent resistance seen from the load.
This resistance is the sum of the resistance in the emitter including all the parasitic resistance plus the resistance in the base ( including parasitic) divided by beta. This concluse comes from a large signal analysis.

Because the presence of these ill defined resistance, I believe that the best is to adjust the bias to minimize crossover distortion.

JPV

janneman said:
JPV,

How far should this be taken? In the end, you also see the emitter of the driver 'through' the emitter-base of the output device. Maybe use the base stopper also to define the driver source resistance?

Jan Didden

Jan,

As you say the base stopper should define the source.
This is again a good reason to use a topology lile the triple T that gives a very low source resistance.

On another topic, are you living close to the Belgian border?
I wonder if it would be ok for me to come to your place with my tektronic distortion analyzer that I bought on ebay. I could get it calibrated with you audio precision as I understand that you have one.

JPV

JPV

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
JPV said:

Jan,

As you say the base stopper should define the source.
This is again a good reason to use a topology lile the triple T that gives a very low source resistance.

On another topic, are you living close to the Belgian border?
I wonder if it would be ok for me to come to your place with my tektronic distortion analyzer that I bought on ebay. I could get it calibrated with you audio precision as I understand that you have one.

JPV

JPV

Cool! I'm 25k from Lanaken. I'll mail you.

Jan Didden

roender said:

This is true, but it is not an issue for static crossover distortion. On the other hand, it might conceivably be an issue for dynamic crossover distortion in the same way that inductance in the external emitter ballast resistor can be degrading.

Let's plug in some simple numbers. Assume all the resistance is in the base in the form of a 5-ohm base stopper resistor. With a transistor beta of 50, this will look like 0.1 ohm at the emitter. If the power transistor is a RET with an ft of 50 MHz, then beta will be 50 up to 1 MHz, where it will then start to decline. This will be the point at which the effective inductance seen looking into the emitter begins to rise. It is the point where the inductive reactance equals the low-frequency emitter resistance seen (0.1 ohm). If I've done the math right, this equivalanet inductance is on the order of only about 17 nH - not much.

There is probably more than this in the wiring and in the emitter resistor, even if it is a non-inductive type.

Cheers,
Bob

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Bob Cordell said:
Hi Stinius,

Theoretically, the 26 mV ideal voltage drop across Re is only that value at room temperature. That number is Vt, which is Proportional To Absolute Temperature (PTAT). In other words, the current that should flow in the output transistor that makes its transconductance equal to 1/Re increases in proportion to absolute temperature.

So although the idea of making that portion of the bias spread responsible for the Re drop a constant value (rather than a value that shrinks with increased temperature) is a step in the right direction, it is still not quite theoretically there.

We may be splitting hairs here, however.

One could also argue that the theoretical desire to have the idle bias increase in proportion to absolute temperature means that the output stage should perhaps be slightly under-compensated; but caution needs to be exercised in going this route.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob

Thank you for the comments, I agree in what you are writing.

And I think it’s a step in the right direction to add an R, and it should be increased.
As a starting point we could look at 12R and the output stage slightly under-compensated.

Cheers
Stinius

janneman said:
JPV,

How far should this be taken? In the end, you also see the emitter of the driver 'through' the emitter-base of the output device. Maybe use the base stopper also to define the driver source resistance?

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,

The simple answer is that we can take it all the way back to the Vbe multiplier. We should assume that the center of the Vbe multiplier impedance is at ground for purposes of this analysis (this is a different issue than the output impedance of the VAS, by the way).

In a more practical sense, recognize that if the driver is biased at 50 mA for each output pair that it serves, then the resistance seen looking back into the driver emitter is about 0.5 ohm for each output pair served. This is likely smaller than Rbb of the output transistor, even if a base stopper is not used.

Notice that a pre-driver biased at 10 mA will have a local output emitter impedance of about 2.6 ohms, which when divided by the beta of the driver will be perhaps 0.05 ohms, which is comfortably less than the emitter output impedance of the driver.

Going back to the base of the pre-driver, we see that the base circuit impedance that it sees from the Vbe multiplier is sufficiently low that its aforementioned emitter impedance of 2.5 ohms will dominate.

Once again, from the viewpoint of impedances to minimize crossover distortion, it is not the output impedance of the VAS itself that counts.

In any case, it can be seen that this sort of thing converges pretty quickly when a Triple is used.

Cheers,
Bob

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I'm looking to build a simple and clean sounding amp using 4 pairs of NJL3281/1302 complementary pairs and as driver/biasing stage a LME49830 chip to drive each channel. What do you guys think ??

Hi

My quick answer would be that the LME49830 is a MOSFET driver, and it is not meant to drive BJT ops.

How did you plan to use the TT diodes?

In my opinion there are a lot of discrete amps on this forum using TT that you should have a look at instead of using that chip.

Cheers

Hi

My quick answer would be that the LME49830 is a MOSFET driver, and it is not meant to drive BJT ops.

yes...
But MOSFET's aren't as linear as complimentary pairs and with the thermal tracking allowing a more stable operation and knowing that they will always be biased correctly regardless of temperature.

How did you plan to use the TT diodes?
I will running them in series in the biasing circuit always allowing the proper bias to be set across to minimize distortion and keep the drivers at their peak performance without overshooting their SOA.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
yes...
But MOSFET's aren't as linear as complimentary pairs and with the thermal tracking allowing a more stable operation and knowing that they will always be biased correctly regardless of temperature.

I will running them in series in the biasing circuit always allowing the proper bias to be set across to minimize distortion and keep the drivers at their peak performance without overshooting their SOA.

Hi,

You asked a very general question "what do you guys think". Just to get a better understanding of what it is we can help you with, are you comfortable with configuring the bias with the TT diodes? How many diodes are needed, additional resistive elements to get at the target bias voltage? Are you comfortable with calculating the current through the TT diodes and how to relate the TT diode tempco to the output device tempco and how to match those to get good tracking?

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Because the cooler transistors would have diodes that didnt heat up as much and hotter transistors would have diodes that were warmer and so adjusting the bias very accurately.

Ahhh I think I get you. You have a string of TT transistors on a heatsink, and each one adjusts the bias according to HIS temp. Is that what you mean?

jd

Ahhh I think I get you. You have a string of TT transistors on a heatsink, and each one adjusts the bias according to HIS temp. Is that what you mean?

jd

That would be simple if you only run a single matched pair, not multiple sets :eek:

In my case there will be a the driver IC -> driver MOSFET -> thermal trak output devices.
needless to say it will be a mirrored configuration with drivers between 2 thermal tracks while the IC and its power supply will be housed on a separate PCB with its own heatsink with regulator.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.