OMNI Gallery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
photo.JPG

This looks awesome and "correct" :cool: some questions:...

- is that 10" or 8" woofer?
- How did you bend the metal poles ? :)

As for finding out pipe resonance, normally I just lift the speakers a bit and poke the microphone. I'ts very revealing.

Hi A,
no offense meant. I ran into the issue myself with the midwoofer and no damping could fix it.
Just put a mic very close to the membranes and measure the frequency response with periodic noise at loud enough levels. Then you might see the fundamental resonance and some of its multiples that are re-radiated through the membranes easily.
What subs are you using and where are the x-over points ?
BTW, I like the look !

Oliver

Ha! you never told me that. But this is exactly one 'issue' I could not fix with my Pluto clone!

I measured the pipe resonance via impedance and FR and could see them 210hz...420hz... etc. from memory. Tried this and that with damping but in the end they were still 'audible'. I even tried notching *every* peak at one stage :D

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• 2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube small px.jpg
    2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube small px.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 664
  • Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
This looks awesome and "correct" :cool: some questions:...

- is that 10" or 8" woofer?
- How did you bend the metal poles ? :)

As for finding out pipe resonance, normally I just lift the speakers a bit and poke the microphone. I'ts very revealing.

It's a 10". Same Peerless unit as the Pluto sub. Poles were bent in a special way :cool:. Meaning I had a shop do it.

Poke the mic? What's that?

No tweeter?
Fullrange? pointing at ceiling.
Treble is more directional from a fullrange than from the small radiating area of the diaphragm of a tweeter, if you did not add a forward radiating tweeter or flooder device what would you expect?
the treble would be more open and airy with more direct treble.
Very large, hardly a point source.

No wonder a dipole worked better.

The fullranger was a Ciare HX201 with massive treble rise, so that direct sound plus treble reflection gave a fairly good frequency response.
I hate dipole airiness, so I prefered it in a closed or almost closed setup.

how is the listening experience with such directivity

The graph is highly misleading because just a single measurement was used to generate the sonogram. You can use any single measurement to generate such a graph. It even doesn't need to be flat if normalization is used.
For such a concept it would be more interesting to see a vertical sonogram. Unsmoothed, free field, mic at about 2m distance and not at 1m.

Last edited:
c) With such a small driver the mic is in the far field at 1m distance

a) I verified that the response did not change horizontally. So it does not matter if I use 1, 2, 3 or much more measurements. The time that was saved to take snap shots every 5° or 10° or whatever degrees is spent well elsewhere.

b) agreed on normalization. That's why I also show other diagrams and mention that it is normalized.

Compare the vertical measurements. There I went the full 9 yards because the response does change.

c) With such a small driver the mic is in the far field at 1m distance

Yes? There's a diffraction device involved. Did you confirm with measurements?

a) I verified that the response did not change horizontally. So it does not matter if I use 1, 2, 3 or much more measurements. The time that was saved to take snap shots every 5° or 10° or whatever degrees is spent well elsewhere.

How did you verify if not by measurements??

b) agreed on normalization. That's why I also show other diagrams and mention that it is normalized.

Compare the vertical measurements. There I went the full 9 yards because the response does change.

Could you also posts a sonogram with vertical data?

Yes? There's a diffraction device involved. Did you confirm with measurements?
Yes, if I remember correctly I went up to 1.7m.

How did you verify if not by measurements??
I did measure it ! I probed one side with one of the little poles. Then I compared the graphs by substracting them from each other. The result was a flat line. Only the calculation/the picture is based on one measurement because it would have made no difference.
I have no reason to cheat here. I am not afraid of the work. One intention of the horizontal sonogram was and is to show that nice pictures cannot describe how a speaker really sounds regardless of how perfect they are.

Could you also posts a sonogram with vertical data?
If you can read that better than the polar plots I can do that (next week).

Thanks for the additional information.

One intention of the horizontal sonogram was and is to show that nice pictures cannot describe how a speaker really sounds regardless of how perfect they are.

Well, one can read that graph one way or the other. I obviously chose the wrong one :)

If you can read that better than the polar plots I can do that (next week).

Would be nice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.