• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt (The Simpler Simplistic Design by Salas)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI, I have re-ordered the correct 820k resistors, have also ordered some Mundorf Supreme Caps .22uf to make the order worthwhile as the order is from the Canada.

While I am waiting for the new parts was just wondering if the resistors I used being 820ohm would this have been the culprit for my lack of volume and bass output.
Also would it have caused any damage to the other components.

Regards Jezza

HI, I have re-ordered the correct 820k resistors, have also ordered some Mundorf Supreme Caps .22uf to make the order worthwhile as the order is from the Canada.

While I am waiting for the new parts was just wondering if the resistors I used being 820ohm would this have been the culprit for my lack of volume and bass output.
Also would it have caused any damage to the other components.

Regards Jezza

I would guess yes, if you had the zeners installed you might get lucky with the mofdets but the SK170 may be toast, if it were me I would go to mouser and order order a new set of parts otherwise you get killed on shipping one item at a time.

Hi, replaced the resistors in my phono but something is still not right, getting alot of background hum, and if I unplug the turntable from the input there is a very loud pulsing sound coming from the speakers, when i touch the ground of the left RCA input it cancels the pulsing but not the hum...not sure if it is coming from the sshv or the phono stage...I was hoping this was going to be an easy project, not so sure now..

i am use Mil spec components, someone suggested that I may have damaged Q4 the 2SK170, but if this was the case would i still get proper voltages on the output?

Any input is appreciated as I am still a newb here.

Jezza

Hi, replaced the resistors in my phono but something is still not right, getting alot of background hum, and if I unplug the turntable from the input there is a very loud pulsing sound coming from the speakers, when i touch the ground of the left RCA input it cancels the pulsing but not the hum...not sure if it is coming from the sshv or the phono stage...I was hoping this was going to be an easy project, not so sure now..

i am use Mil spec components, someone suggested that I may have damaged Q4 the 2SK170, but if this was the case would i still get proper voltages on the output?

Any input is appreciated as I am still a newb here.

Jezza

HI! q4 2sk170 in this case , not died , Because you still get 200v v-out!

Check all GND, and conect GND to the Turntable .
My be That phenomenon file. now lift your head out of the capacitor connected directly to the PCB and see Amplifier has been this phenomenon?

Hi Quang, Thats what I thought also about Q4, what I was wondering though is that although I am getting correct v-out could there be noise or oscillation coming from the SSHV. I donot have an occilloscope so I cannot tell if the oscillating noise is coming from SSHV or the phono stage. I donot understand what u mean about the capacitor could u please clarify, do I isolate one of the capacitors to see if the problem still exists.
Regards Jezza

Hi Quang, Thats what I thought also about Q4, what I was wondering though is that although I am getting correct v-out could there be noise or oscillation coming from the SSHV. I donot have an occilloscope so I cannot tell if the oscillating noise is coming from SSHV or the phono stage. I donot understand what u mean about the capacitor could u please clarify, do I isolate one of the capacitors to see if the problem still exists.
Regards Jezza

You se that!

Attachments

• Huong-dan-lam-Phono-hi-end-.jpg
    Huong-dan-lam-Phono-hi-end-.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 448
Hi Quanghao,

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I finally got around completing the SSHV1 for the D3A phono (i was using the Janus shunt before to power the D3A phono board). I need some help with the bring up.

I'm not getting over 165V on B+ when I power the SSHV with a variac.. When I turn the variac slowly, it voltage continues to increase until AC voltage is at 90V (Vin is about 220V), but does not continue to rise after that. The IRF9610 becomes very hot after that point (even with load resistor). When I vary the trimmer pot, I get the voltage variation on Vout, but I get only a max of 165V.

FYI, I'm using Red LEDs instead of the green ones - is that going to matter in this case ?

I also need some general tips for bringing up this regulator board.

Thanks,
nikhil

Problem solved - it was wrong value of resistor in R4 :p

Hi Quanghao,

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I finally got around completing the SSHV1 for the D3A phono (i was using the Janus shunt before to power the D3A phono board). I need some help with the bring up.

I'm not getting over 165V on B+ when I power the SSHV with a variac.. When I turn the variac slowly, it voltage continues to increase until AC voltage is at 90V (Vin is about 220V), but does not continue to rise after that. The IRF9610 becomes very hot after that point (even with load resistor). When I vary the trimmer pot, I get the voltage variation on Vout, but I get only a max of 165V.

FYI, I'm using Red LEDs instead of the green ones - is that going to matter in this case ?

I also need some general tips for bringing up this regulator board.

Thanks,
nikhil

Hi nikhilji
yes use green led, and change Irf 9610 ,for CCS

thanks

Thanks Quanqhao! Finally got the right voltages for B+ and the SSHV is working as expected and no overheating of heatsinks. I have both the SSHV and D3A phono board in one single chassis using a R-Core power transformer and shielded hookup wire. Needless to say, the sounds is clear and detailed with no low-frequency hum ! I'm impressed. :cool:

Thanks Quanqhao! Finally got the right voltages for B+ and the SSHV is working as expected and no overheating of heatsinks. I have both the SSHV and D3A phono board in one single chassis using a R-Core power transformer and shielded hookup wire. Needless to say, the sounds is clear and detailed with no low-frequency hum ! I'm impressed. :cool:

I'm enjoying the music coming out from this phono stage. Thanks to Quanghao, Salas and Andrea. Truly a global collaborative effort for the enjoyment of the diyaudio community.

Posting some pics :

DSC_0397.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0405.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.