• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IF you do not use TL43, keep 10R for CS8414 and 74HC04, it is better, no need 220uF and 0.1uf.
That is ok!
Thanks, I will use 10R for all digital 5V.

One more question regarding the S/PDIF input: in the CS8414.pdf, page 34, two receiver connections are described: professional interface (balanced receiver) using XLR connector and consumer interface (unbalanced) using RCA connector.

Is the double isolation with input transformer and the 0.01uF (on RXP and RXN pins), really needed? I don't want to criticize but according to the pdf if we use the 0.01uF the transformer is not needed. A transformer would be useful for balanced mode without using the 0.01uF, however, this is possible only by cutting the ground track of the transformer (anyway, I bought the input transformer so I will use it, just thinking...).

suggestion: for future boards you could separate the transformer ground with a wire strap, so a balanced mode connection would be possible.

Thanks,
Zsolt

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is that an RC filter or just a resistor? Try with and without and evaluate. Easy to decide. Unfortunately I have no experience with the whole thing so to guide you specifically. I know that the reg strives for low Zout and that inductance is bad for sure. If local RC or just C filtering is best, you gotta try it out IMHO. There is no significant noise off the reg to filter, maybe it will need more of isolation or not, against best Zo I guess.

Is that an RC filter or just a resistor? Try with and without and evaluate. Easy to decide. Unfortunately I have no experience with the whole thing so to guide you specifically. I know that the reg strives for low Zout and that inductance is bad for sure. If local RC or just C filtering is best, you gotta try it out IMHO. There is no significant noise off the reg to filter, maybe it will need more of isolation or not, against best Zo I guess.
10R could part of an RC filter with 220uF for low and 0.1uF for higher freqs and not a simple dropping resistor, but I might be wrong, as 220uF is necessary for the stability of the TL431.
Anyway, I will evaluate with and without.

Last edited:
Zsolt,
I am agree with you about the possibility to eliminate the capacitors if we are using a digital input transformers also if the datasheet is not very clear.

About the ground, yes we can keep the input ground separated in the next dac board to use balanced digital input

Last edited:
Zsolt,
I am agree with you about the possibility to eliminate the capacitors if we are using a digital input transformers also if the datasheet is not very clear.

About the ground, yes we can keep the input ground separated in the next dac board to use balanced digital input
The data-sheet is indeed not very clear. In order not to confuse others I would say that with this version, so using capacitors at input, the use of transformer is optional. As it offers galvanic separation it is good to use it.

Now I have PCB
18 PCB Salas shunt for DAC
18 PCB DAC-end
18 PCB IV- stage for DAC
no have supply for IV ( you can use Salas shunt HV )
if you need it you can write please:

1. Strosek: full set
2. boudy : full set
3. ksnider1: full set
4. toufu : (IV + Supply For IV) x 2
5. ferrari: (IV + Supply For IV) x 3
6. analogdiy: full set
7. wobii: full set
8. Cobra2: (IV + Supply For IV) x 2
9. mikelm: full set
10. le´flu: just one salas reg

5. ferrari: (1x DAC-end) + (2x Salas shunt for DAC) + (3x IV)

Update of my entry

2. boudy : DAC-end x 1, Salas shunt for DAC x 1, IV- stage for DAC x 1, Salas shunt HV x 2
5. ferrari: (1x DAC-end) + (2x Salas shunt for DAC) + (3x IV)

11. Joshua_G: full set (1PCB DAC-end, 1 PCB IV- stage for DAC, 1 PCB Salas shunt for DAC).

As I understand, the prices are:
PCB- DAC END = $15
PCB- I/V stage = $15
PCB- Supply for I/V = $15
Shipping = $6
(so far $45)
Plus Payment by PayPal fee %3.5 = $46.575 .
Is that correct?
Shall it be $46.57 or $ 46.58?
(I had to browse back 112 pages to get to the prices)!

Payment made to: quanghao168@yahoo.com.vn .

Now I have PCB
18 PCB Salas shunt for DAC
18 PCB DAC-end
18 PCB IV- stage for DAC
no have supply for IV ( you can use Salas shunt HV )
if you need it you can write please:

Hi quanghao, I send you $60 via paypal for full set. I'm confused now. Do I get full set from you ? Is Salas shunt HV better for IV- stage. Please please clarify.

Thansk

I want to update with my request:

11. Joshua_G: full set (1PCB DAC-end, 1 PCB IV- stage for DAC, 1 PCB Salas shunt for DAC).
12. ims: 2 x PCB-Supply for I/V salas reg

As I understand, the prices will be:
2 x PCB- Supply for I/V = 2 x $15
Shipping = $6
(so far $36)
Plus Payment by PayPal fee 3.5% = $37.26
Is that correct?

I will make a payment to: quanghao168@yahoo.com.vn
Is this your valid paypal account for now?

Thanks.

Ok i have another problem, on my I/V board.
I had C6 and C2 blow as I put them in the incorrect way around. Since replacing them I no longer get any voltage drop across R1-4 and R13-16.
What have i blown? :D:eek:

I should also say that i do not have the tube plugged in. However when i had voltage drop earlier, i didn't have them in them either. Was it because the cap was the incorrect way around that it allowed current flow and as such gave me a voltage drop???

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.