• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ok SY...You Win

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We interupt all this beer swillin' to bring you an important update....

After reading all the reviews on Amazon, I purchased the companion volume "Building Valve Amplifiers". It seems the first edition included this as a section in the book, but since the book grew, it is now a second book. Ironically, it was the dufus who reviewed it on Amazon and complained about all the technical info included in it that swayed me to buy my second new book in as many weeks :D .

....Carry on :drink:

-Casey

I received my book from Amazon today! Although I had to pay Customs clearance and the dreaded VAT on it, it was still cheaper than buying locally.

Now I have to figure out a way to comfortably read the tiny print font that they used; my guess is that the font size shrunk in the shrink wrapping ;-)

"A machinic assemblage, through its diverse components, extracts its consistency by crossing ontological thresholds, non-linear thresholds of irreversibility, ontological and phylogenetic thresholds, creative thresholds of heterogenesis and autopoiesis. The notion of scale needs to be expanded to consider fractal symmetries in ontological terms.”- Felix Guattari

Huh?

Mine, too. The most egregious was one of the CCS drawings (fig 2.48b); the top transistor should be an NPN, emitter pointing south toward the lower NPN. That typo will apparently be fixed by the next press run.

Alas, my book shows the last print run as 2006, and the error is still there :(

Thanx for the heads-up Sy…anymore I should know about?

-Casey

"A machinic assemblage, through its diverse components, extracts its consistency by crossing ontological thresholds, non-linear thresholds of irreversibility, ontological and phylogenetic thresholds, creative thresholds of heterogenesis and autopoiesis. The notion of scale needs to be expanded to consider fractal symmetries in ontological terms.”- Felix Guattari

From the Wikipedia entry of this Felix feller...

Born in Villeneuve-les-Sablons, Oise, France, Guattari first made his way into the history of Psychiatry, Philosophy, and French Militancy....

Well that pretty much explains it.

MJ Valve Amplifiers 2nd Ed. vs 3rd Ed

Hi,

I have the second edition of Morgan Jones book. Can somebody that owns both 2nd and 3rd edition post a short summary of the differences /additions so that one might to decide whether to "upgrade"? Any opinions on this matter are also appreciated.

Thanks!

hi Valverine, I don't own the 2nd edition but I borrowed it from my friend. If I remember right, the projects are a bit different. One that stuck in my mind is that the 2nd edition focused on the 417A/5842 while the 3rd on the 6SN7 or something like that. My friend bought the 3rd edition too after I described it to him, so I think that is a vote of interest.

I just bought Building Valve Amplifiers and to me, it was worth it for the metalworking section alone. But then I ain't too bright, so you probably know all that already.

The third edition of Valve Amplifiers did have a flaw on a calculation that I noticed, however, on page 80. I think that the cut-off frequency calculation should have "946" in the denominator for the 946R resistor that is referenced in the text and not the "2380".

I could obviously be very, very worng about this, but the calculation does not yield the 170uF conclusion with the 2.38K resistor in the denominator.

Whew!

Great, great book, by the way.

Kofi

Up to post #41

Ah, you beer boozin'. liquor-consuming bunch! What an advertisement for a Tube Book! (Beer companies should pay royalties to Morgan Jones.) :D :D :D

Now I will just have to journey down to Family Dog and have a wee gaze at this exotic volume. I grew up on Radio Designer's Handbook by Langford-Smith, apart from own experiments and tube data sheets, etc. This book is of course quite more up to date; it seems that I might just be persuaded to part with some dollars.

Now which beer to buy in the R of SA; that still is the question......

Regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.