OHM Acoustics "Walsh F" Speaker remakes

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The last link worked fine for me and the others worked if I did the cut and paste thingy ya said to do. Works fer me. Come to think of it I think I sent Bud about half of that stuff back in the day.

BTW - wife is recovering well - it really is amazing what they can do with medical technology these days. The Surgeon was considering using "the robot" to perform minimal invasive surgery but he had to do another process to clear up her Afib while he was in there messing around so he had to crack her open. She's been out a week now and has resumed her attempts at bossing me around - so things are back to normal.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Actually - discussion and debate of BudP's EnABL process and what it does and how it sounds is discussed in depth and bloody detail over in the EnABL threads. If we venture with getting that discussion going on in this thread I'm concerned that many potential builders will loose interest in what this thread is about - making Walsh like speakers. EnABL can be an important enhancement to those speakers but applied as a separate operation and perhaps with it's own thread. Please understand that it is not my intention to seem rude or crude - I'm simply attempting to keep the thread On Topic..

Last edited:
No decision yet. You mean the dome tweeters would require or benefit from EnABL? I didn't realize that was even a possibility. I've been figuring using the speakers specified with the addition of magic triangles on just the big guys.

I bought a pair of Ohm FRS-9 speakers for $50 a couple of days ago. I got them hooked up today to a new Onkyo receiver. I figured if a mid/woofer was bad ($50??) I might take a bunch of the parts off, including the tweeters, and use those on the DIY Ohms. But the FRS-9's are OK. They don't sound great by any means though.

What would happen if I did use the tweets out of those in a Walsh-work-alike? I think the mains are 8" though - a little small. The Cabinets have a passive radiator. Not sure about the crossover network. There is no chance the 4 speakers could be moved into a direct downward firing type cabinet and have them sound better than these, right?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
There are many (but I don't think all) dome tweeters that can benefit from EnABL - BUT you will need to practice on some el-cheapo's 1st to understand the process and hand eye coordination thingy.

I don't know beans about the FRS-9s except that they were made in the early '90's and cost around a $1000. I would think that they would have sounded pretty good for that much mula but some folks will pay darn near anything for anything if the sales pitch is good. There may be others that can provide you with some input as to tweaks or fix's but I am at a complete loss as to if they are worth the time and-or $$$.

OTOH - I do know that the Walsh remakes are a nice build. Easy to knock together and not that much in $$$ (if you don't use expensive tweeters like my AMT1's - BTW I purchased mine used so not so much $$$).

You can remove the can cover over the top of the sorta Walsh driver and dome tweeter and see what you think. In the earlier Walsh 2 series they had a bunch of damping material around the inside of the can, in an attempt to match the sorta Walsh driver to the tweeter. Pretty misguided attempt at that. Just remove the cans entirely and listen for a while. You may not end up doing anything to them.

Bud

You can remove the can cover over the top of the sorta Walsh driver and dome tweeter
Bud

The Ohm FRS-9 isn't a walsh type configuration. Each speaker has a tweeter mounted on a corner at a 45* angle. It has a direct firing 8" on the top front and a 9"? passive on the bottom rear. If I had paid $1,000 for these things new, I would ask my wife to have me committed. Maybe they are worth $150. $1,000???

I suppose they will work OK for surrounds. But I was just wondering how the drivers would sound if reconfigured into a Walsh arrangement in a new cabinet. I suppose the first step would be to build some cabinets and size them for the 10" Pioneers listed in this thread (2.5 cu ft). It would be nice to get to a point where I could experiment a little with some speakers.

Why is there no picture of how those Walsh 2, 3, and 4 (5?) look with the can taken off? I wonder how the tweeter is mounted in there and how deep the woofer actually is, etc.

Thanks guys!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Why is there no picture of how those Walsh 2, 3, and 4 (5?) look with the can taken off? I wonder how the tweeter is mounted in there and how deep the woofer actually is, etc.

Thanks guys!

Hi Norm - BudP is a BIG fan of the Walsh F series and has worked his EnABL magic on a number of them. Outside of the kids over at Walsh there aren't a whole lotta people around that knows them (and luvs 'em) like Bud. I'm sure that he will be able to give you some pointers. ;)

I think the point is that if you want to knock out something that is pretty close to a Walsh follow Mamboni's instructions - it's a pretty darn sweet speaker and a good 1st build.

Last edited:
Hi Norm - BudP is a BIG fan of the Walsh F series and has worked his EnABL magic on a number of them.

Hi Thomas, I wondered whether the Ohm F and other Ohm speakers had already been given the EnABL treatment or something similar.

Bud, I've heard the Ohm Fs and have always been a fan even though I have never been fortunate enough to own a pair. From the time I heard them, they became my benchmark when listening to other speakers. I really don't want to settle for something less. I was considering buying some Ohm 4's and either using them the way they came or upgrading them to 4000's or 5000's. I hadn't considered the 2's. But it is very difficult to find someone who has heard the F's, let alone know how they sound compared to the 2's or 4's or 4000/5000 speakers. Are you a person that can make those comparisons?

And during the pursuit of that information, I was fortunate to find this site and Thomas has been helping to get me up to speed with the Walsh-work-alikes along with other related issues. Can you compare the performance of those with the 4's and/or F's?

Thank you for your time folks.
Norm

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Thomas, I wondered whether the Ohm F and other Ohm speakers had already been given the EnABL treatment or something similar.

And during the pursuit of that information, I was fortunate to find this site and Thomas has been helping to get me up to speed with the Walsh-work-alikes along with other related issues. Can you compare the performance of those with the 4's and/or F's?

Thank you for your time folks.
Norm

Hey - if Bud loans me some of his for and extended listening test I'll be glad ta let u know how the clones stack up!!! :eek::p:D:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW - It's been over 20 years since I listened to any Ohm's so I don't think any comparison would be valid. Do remember that this DIY version is a "clone". Sometimes we can get close to the real thing - sometimes we can even improve over the real thing (improvement in technology - components - tools, etc.). This speaker IS a clone and YMMV. What I can tell you is that for the amount of time and $$$ it's a darn nice speaker! BUT - if you want the REAL DEAL save up your spare change and go buy some.... (no offense intended).

Last edited:
You are correct Thomas. Since I am in Kansas, I must have been thinking the heel click thing could be a two-way transport mechanism. I'll check to see if the wife has some boots to wear. And I'll slap some wax on mine.

I sent an email to the Ohm 2 fellow, Bud referenced. I asked whether the drivers made any abnormal rattles, etc.