oh my gosh, I can't hear 15kHz :-(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested to hear if anyone else has noticed if eliminating the frequencies above which we can hear from ones system adversely affects the sound.

It does make a difference. The far upper register will have the harmonics of the lower registers and even if you can't audibly hear them, cutting them out will tend to dull the sizzle and spaciousness and airiness of the music as they are still interacting with the phasing of the lower harmonics. It is there even if you can't hear it will still be reacting with the frequencies you can hear and make a difference.

Some time ago I downloaded a tone generator and set the frequency outputs as follows:
left channel - 20,000 Hz
right channel - 20,500 Hz

Using my (cheap) PC speakers played both together and heard (what I assume to be) a 500 Hz tone.

So even though I couldn't 'hear' either tone, I could certainly hear the resultant interaction.

Cheers,

Alex

Some time ago I downloaded a tone generator and set the frequency outputs as follows:
left channel - 20,000 Hz
right channel - 20,500 Hz

Using my (cheap) PC speakers played both together and heard (what I assume to be) a 500 Hz tone.

So even though I couldn't 'hear' either tone, I could certainly hear the resultant interaction.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex, it's a physics phenomenon called "beating". Beats are produced when two relatively close but not identical signals are played. As the difference is 500Hz, the frequency of beating is 500Hz.

I guess so. In my limited and rudimentary "what sounds better to me" non-blinded testing, I prefer the sound that includes at least up to 18KHz, which is probably about 5KHz higher than I can consciously hear. The 19K-20KHz band seemed less noticeable, but I will have to play with that more. I currently don't have the ability to limit higher frequencies, but if I ever finish my speaker project the tweeter theoretically has rang up to 40KHz. I'll see if that helps.

Alex, it's a physics phenomenon called "beating". Beats are produced when two relatively close but not identical signals are played. As the difference is 500Hz, the frequency of beating is 500Hz.

I guess he knows what beating is. The point is that eliminating those TWO would translate in a change in final sound. Remember that "beatings" could appear even on the same channel...

On the other hand, this beating might be an artifact of the reproduction system and the original recording didn't intend for this beat frequency to be audible. If it had, then the 500Hz tone would be part of the music.

Limiting the high frequency response would seem to have a benefit !!!

Not only that, but limiting the bandwidth of the amplifier also reduces the total noise.

I can clearly hear the 18khz tone, and once I went to a custom speaker builder, ribbon tweeter builder if we have to be precize and he tested my hearing on a test stand, from the first try I heard 19.8 khz with my left ear and 21.8 with my right, the second time we tested from 50 cm each ear separately @1W with 92 db/w ribbon tweeters, left ear 21.2-21.8 and right ear 22.2-22.8 - enterestingly that above 23khz I cant tell that I hear something, but I can tell when the test signal is on or off I feel it like some pressure around my ears and like little suppressed hearing - like I have very thin pillows on my ears or like some water in my ears, but can't tell it's sound.

The test equipment was a big machine with round knob and big round scale with needle pointer, we tried two ways, one I rotate the knob until I stop hearing anything, and the second way is the professor operating the knob - whan I say that I don't hear we stop - both ways I don't look at the scale. Both ways the results were confirmed.

I am 28 tears old and since I have been baby I am known for my hearing :D nobody could make a step without me noticing it and begin crying :D:D:D I can listen to others people conversation at a bar... say 3 tables away :D and LCD and plasma televisions are a big relief for me... as I hear all CRT's synchronizing transformers...

Here Are Your Results:
Question 1: You answered CORRECTLY: Second tone is sharper
— Tone 1 (Original Pitch) vs. Tone 2 (+50 Cents)

Question 2: You answered CORRECTLY: First tone is sharper
— Tone 1 (+25 Cents) vs. Tone 2 (Original Pitch)

Question 3: You answered CORRECTLY: Second tone is sharper.
— Tone 1 (Original Pitch) vs. Tone 2 (+12 Cents)

Question 4: You answered CORRECTLY: Second tone is sharper.
— Tone 1 (Original Pitch) vs. Tone 2 (+6 Cents)

Here Are Your Results:
Question 1: You answered CORRECTLY: #1 is 0.8dbFS quieter than #2.
Question 2: You answered CORRECTLY: #1 is 0.3dbFS quieter than #2.
Question 3: SORRY, but you answered incorrectly.

on three I had a big doubt, but in the end I was shure in what occures to be wrong :)

Thanks for submitting your answer. The correct answer is Clip #1.

You selected Clip# 2 …Sorry, but I couldn’t hear the difference either!

Clip #1 is encoded at 320kbps (14915 votes)
Clip #2 is encoded at 128kbps (16953 votes)

The bigger cymbals lied to me... I thought that they sounded better on the second... strangely my first guess was right but I didn't follow it - the better stereo was the key, but after several comparisons it was no longer obvious.

Here Can you hear THIS? Musicians high frequency hearing test | NoiseAddicts music and audio blog I hear only to 18khz, but I think that's due to the Acer AS1810T not my ears - I'l try later on bigger speakers and report again :D

Last edited:
Thanks for submitting your answer. The correct answer is Clip #1.

You selected Clip# 2 …Sorry, but I couldn’t hear the difference either!

Clip #1 is encoded at 320kbps (14915 votes)
Clip #2 is encoded at 128kbps (16953 votes)

I found this very easy, but I think it's more due to a poor encoder that he's used for the test. What I notice most in low bitrate (or I think it's actually poor encoding) is glitchyness on some sounds. As soon as I heard the rising edge on the bead percussion instrument (on the left channel) I could tell it was low bitrate mp3, it sounds mushy, slowed, perhaps almost underwater!? It's on the third bead percussion sound you'll hear it. Other than that dead giveaway, they were surprsingly similar but both sound like mp3 to me, on the sibilance of the vocal particularly.

I got all 3 on the volume/level test right too, that was difficult though.

I'm very frequency limited in one ear - to about 6k. Just lost it suddenly a few years ago, & the doctors can't give me a definite reason - they say most likely an embolism of the inner ear. But in that ear I'm extremely sensitive to some sounds in the remainder of the spectrum - for instance I can now hear the filament lightbulbs in adjacent rooms. This is annoying enough that I have to seek out Philips bulbs, which are the quietest.

I've got a CRT television at home and whenever I do my revision in the living room (bedroom is a bad place for revision as there's too many stuff to play around with) my mum will "mute" the TV. Yup, no sound from the speaker, but still the CRT high pitch sound. I told mum about it but she couldn't hear the sound and she kept on changing channels and changing channels and every time she did so, the high pitch sound changes in pitch...

I have the same thing. When I visit my parents, I can tell that the TV is on from one floor away (all the way across the living room, through the hall, up the stairs and right to the doorway of my room there), simply by the high pitch whine, even when the tv is muted. In fact, sometimes when the tv is on low volume, I can hear the pitch first. My parents both cannot hear this whine, my girlfriend can though.

Also, my parents' wireless phone charging station makes a high pitched squeal as well, but it's not a constant squeal, it oscilates on and off at around 1Hz - once again, my girlfriend and I can hear it, my parents both cannot. It's quite annoying while sitting in the living room though.

10kHz quite easily audible, 12kHz I think I can just about feel 'something', I'm 59. Mind you, I haven't had my ears syringed for about 3 yrs and that always boosts the treble a bit.

I've noticed an increasing loss of high frequencies from about the age of 30-35. I tested my hearing at age 21 and I could hear 21kHz then. I've preferred home brew or modifiable pre-amps because I can tweak the treble response to compensate somewhat.

Last edited:
I've noticed an increasing loss of high frequencies from about the age of 30-35. I tested my hearing at age 21 and I could hear 21kHz then. I've preferred home brew or modifiable pre-amps because I can tweak the treble response to compensate somewhat.

So as your neighbours drive by, with you enjoying a fine concert equalized for your hearing, they hear a horrible screeching sound and all the neighbourhood cats have run away :D

I'm wondering about this trick myself, I'm down to 15kHz at best and it's only getting worse....

I too worry about this. I tend to beef up the high end with digital equalization to compensate for my declining hearing. It doesn't seem to bother my wife, but she is pretty tone deaf anyway. But what about my five month old daughter? I want her to love music, not find it a fatiguing screach. She is too young to ask how she perceives it.
Fortunately we hate cats...

On my laptop I could hear 12kHz with ease, 14kHz with some difficulties, 15kHz if I really cranked it up, above that it was more like a feeling than an actual sound?

The obvious question becomes: Do I really need speakers that are linear to +20kHz?
Maybe 16kHz is good enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.