oh my gosh, I can't hear 15kHz :-(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys I after reading the thread I experimented.I guess It depends on how u do this? I noticed that above 13Khz listening becomes critical. I could hear till 16Khz. but from 15Khz it was like need to pay attention. or say, db level need to be boosted. I carried out on my laptop. don't know if my laptop is able to deliver all the spectrum linearly.

On the first hearing test I could just barely hear the 14kHz tone. More like I knew it was there, but it wouldn't be a meaningful volume compared with the lower frequencies.

On the "Engineer" site, I couldn't hear the 14kHz at all. But I did 4/4 on the tone test, 3/3 on the loudness test and was able to tell the difference between the Mp3s even on the crappy built in monitor speakers on my computer in a not too quiet office. (see how I like to work?).
I already knew I could tell the difference between such disparate Mp3 encoding on my home stereo, that is very easy.

At home I did a quick trial with a single song and the 31 band digital equalizer on Hijack pro for itunes on my mac mini server. I do not know what the bandwidth limit of my system is, but I have to presume greater than 20kHz.
If I suppress the top end, I really can't tell the difference with the 20kHz level. All the way off seems the same, but with the 16Khz and lower I could tell a marked difference, even though I can't hear above 12-13kHz. Maybe this reflects the width of the equalization control? I don't know, but it mattered.

I just hooked a tweeter directly on the output of my signal generator. I set the output to 30kHz and then slowly started lowering it with my eyes closed until I could hear something.

Looks like 17kHz is the upper limit for this 30 year old. The results were nearly the same for sine, square, and triangle. I could hear the square wave a couple hundred hertz higher though.

I've got a CRT television at home and whenever I do my revision in the living room (bedroom is a bad place for revision as there's too many stuff to play around with) my mum will "mute" the TV. Yup, no sound from the speaker, but still the CRT high pitch sound. I told mum about it but she couldn't hear the sound and she kept on changing channels and changing channels and every time she did so, the high pitch sound changes in pitch...

I can't hear anything above 8kHz with my hearing aids, nothing above 2kHz without them. 50 plus years of loud engines, aircraft, guns and machinery has left it's mark. My hearing loss was gradual but reached the point where my cell phone, telephone volumes were maxed out and I still could not understand what people were saying to me.

I'm a *freak* of nature I guess....there was a tone generator at a science museum I went to when I was a kid that supposedly could go to 30kHz. I heard 24kHz. I can still hear it if I'm directly on axis and I'm 24 now.

I still remember my little niece bragging about her ringtone that "adults cant hear". I had just turned 18 and in her mind everyone at that magic age suddenly lost their ears. :rolleyes:

The look on her face when I freaked out when she set that thing off in my ear while I was napping was priceless.

The poor cat did about the same thing. It ran out of the room meowing.

Perhaps its people like me that made the mall decide to take down their teenager repellent devices. I *HATED* that thing.... wanted to shoot it with a 30.06 every time I went to Sears! (or buy a ladder and a sawzall at Sears for the sole purpose of taking it down!)

I am interested to hear if anyone else has noticed if eliminating the frequencies above which we can hear from ones system adversely affects the sound.

It does make a difference. The far upper register will have the harmonics of the lower registers and even if you can't audibly hear them, cutting them out will tend to dull the sizzle and spaciousness and airiness of the music as they are still interacting with the phasing of the lower harmonics. It is there even if you can't hear it will still be reacting with the frequencies you can hear and make a difference.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

I'm a *freak* of nature I guess....there was a tone generator at a science museum I went to when I was a kid that supposedly could go to 30kHz. I heard 24kHz. I can still hear it if I'm directly on axis and I'm 24 now.

I had a friend like that when I was in grad school. Tested him with a generator by having him call "on" or "off" when I switched it out of his sight. Very impressive.

Enjoy it while you can. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.