Odd grounding problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Funnily enough, I just found a comprehensive article on this subject on this very webiste (also deals with the naming-issue):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...udio-component-grounding-interconnection.html

I'm halfway through the article at the moment, and I'm already considering some modifications to my DIY projects. And yes, that may include connecting PE to the chassis now that I know the pitfalls (the "pin 1 problem") and how to avoid/correct them. Since the audio part of my system is already connected to PE through the DAC (through the interlink shields) and the video part is galvanically separated from it (Toslink), I might as well go the safer route after all...

I'd say anyone DIYing audio should read this article...including those who think they know what they're doing...

OK, since the problem has been fixed now, on with the discussion...

What do you suggest to use instead of "common"? "Earth" and "ground" are also confusing, so those are out too...
0V. All voltage is relative and a matter of potential difference (unless you're dealing with sub-atomic particles... but luckily we're not). In a +/- circuit, the mid point between is 0V. 0V doesn't imply a PE or mains connection.

0V. All voltage is relative and a matter of potential difference (unless you're dealing with sub-atomic particles... but luckily we're not). In a +/- circuit, the mid point between is 0V. 0V doesn't imply a PE or mains connection.

Since it's relative, 0V for GND is a very dangerous name! I know of equipment with several different GNDs, some of which are definitely NOT 0 V with respect to earth potential. You can tell that to my colleagues who found out the hard way that some equipment may have "GNDs" that have several hundreds of V above the earth potential! That stings, so 0V is a no go!

Last edited:
Since it's relative, 0V for GND is a very dangerous name! I know of equipment with several different GNDs, some of which are definitely NOT 0 V with respect to earth potential. You can tell that to my colleagues who found out the hard way that some equipment may have "GNDs" that have several hundreds of V above the earth potential! That stings, so 0V is a no go!
Fair enough. Come to think of it, I got a mild shock from a CRT TV a few years ago where the line I was testing (and accidentally touched via an exposed CRO probe) that was marked ground in the service schematic. Ah, the joys of CRTs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.