• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ODAC offerings from Various Vendors

Do you want an ODAC back panel for the O2?

• yes for sure!

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • I want to use the ODAC as stand alone unit.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • I'd rather wait for the ODA...

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Turbon ; Sweden ; 1 ODAC
igor0203 ; Slovenia ; 1 ODAC
mravlca ; Slovenia ; 1 ODAC
Atilla ; Norway ; 1 ODAC
TheShaman ; Greece ; 1 ODAC
Greenalien ; UK ; 1 ODAC
Finbob ; UK ; 2 ODAC
robodoc ; Germany ; 2 ODAC
matulo_g ; Slovakia ; 1 ODAC
endia ; Turkey ; 1 ODAC
timpert ; Netherlands ; 1 ODAC
serios ; UK ; 1 ODAC
pellesand ; sweden; 2 ODAC
hubsand ; UK ; 2 ODAC
forwidur ; CH, Zurich ; 1 ODAC
schuhbu ; Germany ; 1 ODAC
Nikola Krivorov ; Bulgaria ; 1 ODAC
Gaston ; Sweden; 1 ODAC + 1 backpanel

no worries George, mistakes...we all make 'em

tbh though I would have a similar query then, because given there is no schematic, no discussion of the design choices, no PCB, no soldering really and mods will no doubt be discouraged, so there isnt really much to talk about that shouldnt be handled in a vendors forum; at which point everything is perfectly above board

Last edited:
This is pretty much standard for high-speed USB devices.
Understood that its normal for UAC1 devices, I'm just wondering if the ability to improve the clocks may be a tangible advantage to a UAC2 device.

The Tenor TE7022L is a UAC1 device and was a better fit with NwAvGuy's needs than the other devices I have on my bench.

The cynic in me says that it is certainly the most easily implemented USB solution that can be retrofitted to a O2 enclosure. The nwavguy blog is surely a ready made market full of people with O2's built and interested in a reasonable quality usb DAC. By this I mean that I am hopeful in future articles we will see some details and measurements of the intermediate iterations taken to reach the final design.

Schematics:
I am not sure if the TE7022L will accept anything other than a 12mhz crystal for it input. The crystal I used was from Digikey: 644-1047-1-ND. Other than the usual digital bypass glue there is little else associated with the TE7022L. If you would like a pinout of the chip you can find it on this page.

Someone on NwAvGuy's blog asked about S/PDIF out. From the pinout you can see there is a pin for that but we never used it as there was no space on the card for the connector. You might be able to tap that line and give it a try.

Space limitations dictated most of the 'feature' choices and we ended up with a bare-bones USB->I2S digital section.

The DAC schematic nothing special and you can find a representative version inside this archive .

As NwAvGuy has mentioned on many occasions it is the details that make the difference. Some asked why there so many board revisions. 2 boards revisions were tied to physical layout and 2 revisions were ties to parts. Currently 90% of the DAC passives are 1206 instead of the 0805. This size is friendlier than the 0603 sized parts used with the TE7022.

FYI: Since there has been more than a few comments on the fact the ODAC is not open source I have talked with NwAvGuy about the possibility of creating an open source ODAC. The stumbling block is not the DAC as it will be exactly the same but the UAC1 controller. Since commercial controllers are out it means something like the audio-widget only smaller and cheaper and must fit the ODAC physical dimensions. If the processor was a 44-48 pin flat pack it would be perfect.

I do have a schematic at 90% using the TAS1020B but I don't think there will be many takers for this design as the only compiler I could find $1600.

George

Last edited:
ODAC offerings from Epiphany Acoustics

Hiya all,

Just to say that Epiphany Acoustics will indeed be offering the ODAC as well (we have cunningly named it the E-DAC though).

EHP-O2D
PRE ORDER DOWNPAYMENT: £100
Price: £186.99

The EHP-O2D incorporates both the EHP-O2 portable headphone amplifier and the E-DAC into one small desktop enclosure.

The headphone amplifier section has been designed from the ground up to offer some of the best, if not the best, specifications and hi-fi functionality on the market today. This has been accomplished by months of development using top of the range audio testing equipment to fine tune and carefully select the most optimum design, layout and components. The specifications achieved speak for themselves. It is powered by the included AC adaptor suitable for your region.

EHP-O2 Retrofit Service
PRE ORDER DOWNPAYMENT: £50
Price: £86.99

If you already own an EHP-O2 amplifier, we can retrofit the E-DAC module to upgrade your amplifier to the EHP-O2D. The price for this service is £86.99. The DAC modules are currently on pre order, so to reserve your module please pay the pre order deposit below. Shipping costs are bourne by the customer.
Note: only available to existing customers!

E-DAC
PRE ORDER DOWNPAYMENT: £60
Price: £99.99

The E-DAC (which is identical to the ODAC) is a stand alone USB digital-to-analogue converter which comes in a small form factor aluminium enclosure with custom front and rear panels. Input and power is supplied via the USB input on the rear of the unit. The line level analogue output is via a 3.5mm jack. The E-DAC will take your computer audio to the next level and when coupled with the EHP-O2 provides an audiophile experience far beyond their price level.

This high end DAC is based on the TE7022L UAC1 engine ES9023 24 bit DAC chip. It supports 16bit and 24bit at sample rates of 44.1kHz, 44kHz and 96kHz. The on-board filtered power supply ensures that noise is practically non-existent.

We are in discussions with JDS Labs to sort out the enclosure for this DAC, so more info in terms of that as well as lead time will be made available as and when we hear it.

We have had a surge in orders and the initial stock of E-DAC modules will be limited so it is imperative that you place a pre order to guarantee your DAC in good time. As is always the case with the EHP-O2 headphone amp, demand often outweighs our ability to supply so it goes without saying that you need to be especially prompt if you want an EHP-O2D!

2 year warranty and service with a smile as standard.

You can ask any questions on here, via PM or via email (orders@epiphany-acoustics.co.uk).

Have a good one,
Oliver Freeborn

:cool:

@GeorgeBoudreau: If you decide to do an open source ODAC, please consider using the XMOS chip. It seems from reading nwavguy's posts that the major reason to not use that chip was that Windows doesn't support USB2.0 audio and that Windows would require a driver. I understand the reservation, but just because Windows is behind the times doesn't mean that a new design has to be. The XMOS chip will pass all digital signals up to 382, including DSD. This future proofs the product. I know that nwavguy disputes the audibility of anything above 44.1, but there is a lot of material in high resolution, and there are a lot of people who would like to listen in the native format. At least then we could have 88.2 working.

Very useful info, thanks George.

Can we swap out that 12MHz clock for a better one with lower phase noise and jitter? Has anyone actually measured the TE7022's jitter? i'm a little skeptical of its performance, given its chinese origins..

Jitter measurements are on nwavguy's (rocketscientist here) release post. There are more measurements to follow in a subsequent in depth article about design choices.

"ODAC JITTER: The ODAC passes the conservative criteria with several dB to spare even on the worst-case J-Test signal. And the spread at the base of the signal (very low frequency jitter) is extremely minimal being entirely below –130 dB. It’s also worth noting the jitter here looks subjectively worse because the noise floor is much lower than most of my jitter measurements which are done with a 16 bit test signal. A 16 bit noise floors masks most of the “spikes” seen below. The ODAC also has negligible inter-channel phase error and essentially perfect pitch accuracy:"

I don't know if swapping the clock would better those measurements. What do you think?

Aaron

Last edited:
list updated to post #18

Turbon ; Sweden ; 1 ODAC
Atilla ; Norway ; 1 ODAC
Greenalien ; UK ; 1 ODAC
Finbob ; UK ; 2 ODAC
endia ; Turkey ; 1 ODAC
serios ; UK ; 1 ODAC
hubsand ; UK ; 2 ODAC
Big Brown ; Singapore ; 1 ODAC
mabur ; Germany ; 1 ODAC

@Gaston, assuming the panel is for the O2 - black or silver anodized?
The panels will be available about 4 - 3 weeks after the ODAC is ready to ship.

Stefan

Incidentally, if you are after an ODAC on its own, we can price match + 5% off prices from other international vendors. This may prove to be a bit cheaper for UK customers because domestic shipping will be cheaper and quicker (first class shipping).

Also, just to confirm, international orders are always welcome.

Last edited:
First I want to thank you for your work on the ODAC. I am looking forward to getting one (or more) of them. Because the ODAC was in a way, an afterthought addition to the upcoming desktop version of the O2, it had some limitations in size and scale for the design. If there is going to be an open source, or second version, it would be great if you considered increasing the format support and using a more modern chip for the USB to i2s conversion.

I thought the XMOS was open source. Here is a page that documents their "open source manifesto".

So many manufacturers are choosing XMOS independently from one another that there has to be a lot of reasons why it is on top for USB to i2s and SPDIF.

Meitner, DcS, Grace, Cambridge Audio, Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Ayre, Mytek, Wavelength, Bel Canto, and a bunch of other manufacturers use this chipset.

The Meitner DA-1 is $7000, and the DcS Debussy is $11,000, so they definitely had options in choosing their USB interface.

Cambridge Audio uses it in their DACMagic Plus, and they have a windows driver posted on their site. The M2Tech HiFace2 also uses the XMOS chip and has a free driver posted. I don't run windows, and don't have their products, so I cannot test, but I wonder if one of these drivers will work with another XMOS product.

I don't own an XMOS product yet, but I do have an interest in full format support for my next USB DAC or USB-i2S/SPDIF purchase or build.

Thank you for your consideration and time.

Aaron.

list updated to post #19

Turbon ; Sweden ; 1 ODAC + 1 blk backpanel
Atilla ; Norway ; 1 ODAC
Greenalien ; UK ; 1 ODAC
Finbob ; UK ; 2 ODAC
endia ; Turkey ; 1 ODAC
serios ; UK ; 1 ODAC
hubsand ; UK ; 2 ODAC
Big Brown ; Singapore ; 1 ODAC
mabur ; Germany ; 1 ODAC

does anyone know if the odac has enough juice to drive a power amp with pot directly or do i need a preamp. the amp in question is topping tp20 or an avr.

I know that an AVR (if you're talking from H/K) will take the ODAC's output perfectly because it is designed to take redbook line-level input signals and it has its own volume adjustment. It appears the Topping TP20 is also designed the same way. I wouldn't feed them directly from a DAP (may be a bit too weak... but maybe not), but it appears the ODAC will feed them perfectly without a preamp. The kinds of amps that need a preamp are the kind that are fixed gain and have no volume adjustment built in. Powered speakers (like powered studio monitors) also need a preamp because they almost never have volume adjustment capabilities like preamps do.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.