OB Project Design Started, Help Requested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you think about this one ?
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
Qts 0.55
Xmax 14 mm
Sensitivity 91Db
Mms 43 g
And the graph freq response look very good.
Cost 77 euros or 107 Dollars ,in Europe

I would love to be able to give you advice but I fear I would be doing you a disservice if I did.

The sensitivity is not as flat as the Dipole15, but if you are going active you can wind up the gain to make up for it. If you are going to use two each side in a H frame that should also help.

I dont know if you have read right through this thread but there are quite a few suggestions worth a look at.

I was originally going to use 2 x 12" per side but in the end decided I would get more bang for my buck just using 1 x 15". The freight to Australia is a killer.

Qts 0.55
Xmax 14 mm
Sensitivity 91Db
Mms 43 g
For the same money you get the much better Peerless SLS 12. The 14 mm of the W300 are NOT Xlin, but Xmax. Xlin is 18,5-8 mm = 10,5 mm peak-to-peak.
For the SLS Xlin is 24-8 mm = 16 mm. Sensitivity at 50 Hz is 88 dB compared to 83 for the W300. Don't look too much for Mms. Imho your concept of "fast" woofer transient is not correctly based in reality. You may read Stereophile: Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Two or Fast Bass, Slow Bass - Myth vs. Fact to get a better understanding of how woofers contribute to transients.

Rudolf

Hi, I will read all the pages, yes. We are in the same project position and with kind on the same direction. Thx

I would love to be able to give you advice but I fear I would be doing you a disservice if I did.

The sensitivity is not as flat as the Dipole15, but if you are going active you can wind up the gain to make up for it. If you are going to use two each side in a H frame that should also help.

I dont know if you have read right through this thread but there are quite a few suggestions worth a look at.

I was originally going to use 2 x 12" per side but in the end decided I would get more bang for my buck just using 1 x 15". The freight to Australia is a killer.

Ok !...I (We) appreciate your experience as from the others members!

I will read more theory of those web pages and I'll come back.

That peerless look better in all aspect:D

For the same money you get the much better Peerless SLS 12. The 14 mm of the W300 are NOT Xlin, but Xmax. Xlin is 18,5-8 mm = 10,5 mm peak-to-peak.
For the SLS Xlin is 24-8 mm = 16 mm. Sensitivity at 50 Hz is 88 dB compared to 83 for the W300. Don't look too much for Mms. Imho your concept of "fast" woofer transient is not correctly based in reality. You may read Stereophile: Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Two or Fast Bass, Slow Bass - Myth vs. Fact to get a better understanding of how woofers contribute to transients.

Rudolf

Qts 0.55
Xmax 14 mm
Sensitivity 91Db
Mms 43 g
I found that one to as the best I could find with a great price tag.

Also the visaton ws26 is very good but a German complained that the ws 26 at the limit produces al lot of air noise. A OB with four ws26 would go easy down to 30Hz.

http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zubehoer/tiefton/ws25e_8.html

Last edited:
For the SLS Xlin is 24-8 mm = 16 mm. Sensitivity at 50 Hz is 88 dB compared to 83 for the W300. Don't look too much for Mms.
Rudolf
The sls is 35 euro more expensive. So one can buy 3 W300 or two sls315 and three W300 chassis solve the spl xmax issue at the same price

Looking athe possibilitys and I put in the top of my list with a ratio price/performance in "paper", for the Peerless SLS315. Do you think that two SLS315 will perform equal, better or worse that one Dipole12 ?

As dipole woofers two 12" SLS will move a third more air volume than one Dipole 12. But you need to keep them to woofer duties - no higher than 300 Hz IMHO. The dipole 12 will easily work up to 1 kHz. With this in mind the SLS are more than a match - considering the price.

One basic consideration: Two 12" woofers, one above the other, will take up all vertical space that you have for woofers in an OB. There is no real chance to add another one or two without resorting to W frames. So you should be sure that you don't need more bass than those two SLS provide. With the Dipole 12 you would have the chance to add another one - if found necessary.

Rudolf

Thanks Rudolf,

I dont know how to do the calculation to get the final parameters with two SLS12? As sensibility, power, etc....The two SLS12 in parallel I believe that I will get 4 ohms at the end. And if I put four woofers? I saw some projects with four woofers and they talk a setup of series-parallel...means, two by two in series, and then each pair in parallel? In this way where is the final impedance and the sensibility?
In my situation I have a big space for the project. I was thinking in something like the Lyngdorf Steynway D model

Steinway Lyngdorf's Model-D Music System - Brand Exemplifies Price - Born Rich

Or why not this idea also with four SLS
New open baffle - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

My goal is to manage the under 300 Hz for the bass drivers, not higher.

As dipole woofers two 12" SLS will move a third more air volume than one Dipole 12. But you need to keep them to woofer duties - no higher than 300 Hz IMHO. The dipole 12 will easily work up to 1 kHz. With this in mind the SLS are more than a match - considering the price.

One basic consideration: Two 12" woofers, one above the other, will take up all vertical space that you have for woofers in an OB. There is no real chance to add another one or two without resorting to W frames. So you should be sure that you don't need more bass than those two SLS provide. With the Dipole 12 you would have the chance to add another one - if found necessary.

Rudolf

New Concept

Well Iv'e committed to the Dipole15, I have two on the way, which has blown the woofer budget, especially since the shipping cost more than a driver.

I have been reading lots & have a new concept, have a look at the plan & see what you think.

I am also toying with going for the Neo10 & Neo3.

Iv'e read good things about the Neo10, but thee measurements Iv'e seen dont look that impressive?

The drawing is only a first draft, I thought I'd put it out there to gauge wether its a good idea or not before I got too carried away, as my first design didn't go down to well, as much as I liked it.

Attachments

• DQ Nude OB Sept 10.jpg
    DQ Nude OB Sept 10.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 355
Like the gothic arch style. If you get the thickness right it'll operate as an inverted pendulum but I'm not seeing a good way to do a magnet mount on a cone mid without messing up the look. It'll also sound better if you decouple it from the H baffle and move the woofer's acoustic center forward so it's time aligned with the mid and tweeter. See here and the next few posts for some of the issues around vertical separation of drivers.

Are you making the common mistake of looking at the free air SPL in the Neo10 datasheet and thinking it's infinite baffle?

HI DQ,

is it? i've just inquired for the shipping to manila, it costs only under $170 for 4 DIPOLE15 using FEDEX.

cheers
henry

It is $292.00 US dollars for two:eek:, with Fedex, AE Speakers gave me quotes for USPS & Fedex, I can only assume they dont charge much when it arrives in Indonesa. Whereas when it arrives in Oz they probably charge like wounded bull's, that's all I can assume. It's heart breaking.

David

Well Iv'e committed to the Dipole15, I have two on the way, which has blown the woofer budget, especially since the shipping cost more than a driver.

I have been reading lots & have a new concept, have a look at the plan & see what you think.

I am also toying with going for the Neo10 & Neo3.

Iv'e read good things about the Neo10, but thee measurements Iv'e seen dont look that impressive?

The drawing is only a first draft, I thought I'd put it out there to gauge wether its a good idea or not before I got too carried away, as my first design didn't go down to well, as much as I liked it.

Well, congrats on the Dipole 15's! Low cut filter below 25-30Hz and you will be rewarded with great sound. How high do you intend to take them? Your mid may be too far away being way up on top like that. I'm running them up to 300Hz right now, but will try up to 400 also. They can play clean as high as you would ever want to go, but being in that H frame, you'll want to cut them pretty low or you'll be running into the resonance of the frame.

Greg

Well, congrats on the Dipole 15's! Low cut filter below 25-30Hz and you will be rewarded with great sound. How high do you intend to take them? Your mid may be too far away being way up on top like that. I'm running them up to 300Hz right now, but will try up to 400 also. They can play clean as high as you would ever want to go, but being in that H frame, you'll want to cut them pretty low or you'll be running into the resonance of the frame.

Greg

I'm not sure how high, I need to measure the various speakers & see how it pans out. I wont get them for 4 to 6 weeks so have a bit of time up my sleeve.

I'll probably make a test box & play around a bit first. I assume you would give the Neo10 & 3 the nod of approval?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.