OB compact 3way nearfield monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Edit - it's the 104/2. It has two internal woofers connected by a central force canceling rod. The drivers push air out of a common chamber through a round port. I have heard this speaker is really nice sounding. It has an MTM above it.

Hmm maybe I am building an OB mini version of I went with an MTM.

KEF 104/2

Having it, I agree . It's a sort of closed W-linkwitz !

It's a Strange load : the open port is nearer to the bottom driver than the one above, it's asymetric... while the two driver has the same sized load but in Push-pull ( or maybe push-push !) !

It seems it's not really the sloated philosophy. I asked some days ago in the Multi-way section without answer ! Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8119/8657986909_508d789734_c.jpg

It has only 55 Hz roll off at -2/dB, but which is interressant is KEF sold it with the Kube : an EQ to allow lower F3 ! LP XO is 125 hZ !

I don't know if a folded sealed or open, or a ripole, pulse the air with more energy ! The Kef 104/2 without the Kube is not happy in rooms gretaer than 5 m x 5m ! (don't know how its measure in tatamis for HK or in feets for US)

The big Kazba has a nice looking. Finally if you putt a panel of wood to divide the sealed load for each driver, you have the same load of the 104/2 ref ! The shape of the Kazba front panel is also asymetric with the most open apperture in the bottom !

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
near the TADs studio speakers ; two woofers in line for wider soundstage with less room mods ?

But in wild vented M frame (push-push) for near field : Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/high-end/122825d1243506249-gear-face-just-laughs-augspurger_monitors.jpg

Kind of reminds me of my dual driver 6th order band pass XKi sub.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/268524-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-26.html

466269d1424148438-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-w5-sub-photo-03.png

466270d1424148438-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-w5-sub-photo-04.png

But then I have Karlson aperture on it:

466271d1424148438-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-w5-sub-photo-05.png

This one sounds quite nice.

Very nice looking and very complex internal load : Hey is it not close to an Onken ?

Did you notice big différences between horizontal or vertical positioning with pictire 1&2 at listening position (so without the Karlson bafle)? I readed the main goal with the horizontal TAD woofers was to have less horizontal room modes while not having more explanation on how it is translated at listening position ?! Or was it the opposite : http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=...ved=0CCcQ9QEwBGoVChMI3vqxj5LKyAIVx24UCh0DlQdo

The fig 3 is like a SLoat loaded (the slot is not in depth but planar in front of drivers with the Karlson bafle ?) vented push-pull : cancelation of the noise in the two ported loads ?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's a 6th order series band pass alignment with the K aperture in front and without it, then it's like an Onken but very different design goals. Onken has a very particular ratio for vent aspect. The K aperture provides cone xo from so you can push higher SPL without hitting over excursion with other alignments. Cone motion is at a null at tuning frequency. No difference vertical or horizontal.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Progress on the kaZba dipole desktop bass unit

My first build with all 3/4in plywood. That's some heavy stuff but I don't think it will rattle. I have a mess of sawdust around now - what a pain. All cuts done freehand with a sabre saw.

Waiting for liquid nails to dry. Clamped with construction screws.

509421d1445118665-ob-compact-3way-nearfield-monitor-kazba-w5-876se-build-1.jpg

Attachments

• KaZba-W5-876SE-build-1.jpg
    KaZba-W5-876SE-build-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2,147
I think I just outgrew the desktop option and graduated to stand mount. The Kazba is already 15in high. Once I add the trapezoid OB for the mid and tweet that is another 9in or so. So at 24 in high already. It's going to be an LX521 style stand mount though.
Yeah I was going to ask for your final measurements of your 3way. I really need to stay with the original formula since the monitor needs to fit into my existing home studio which means that the maximum size is about 300mm x 450mm x 300mm (~12" x 16" x 12") HWD landscape. Anything too much bigger than this and I would need to give up on the idea of a nearfield 3way (without moving to a bigger apartment).

KH310 is 253 x 383 x 292 mm
SCM25A is 264 x 430 x 369mm
Focal twin6 is 250mm x 500mm x 340mm (and this is already too wide for me)

This is why I really want to try to make the SLOB work, since I think it is the only compact way to do an open baffle (sub)woofer which can get down into the 30-40hz range. I am going to see if I can make my SLOB in a modular manner so that I can use the long threaded rods to allow changing of the curved slot to change the slot width from 70mm to 90mm to maybe 110mm.
70mm -> 3.3x compression
90mm -> 2.6x compression
110mm -> 2.1x compression
Nelson Pass recommends 3-4x compression for the SLOB so by 2.1x it is more like half way between a SLOB and a W-frame (but with the drivers on the outside and firing inward). A Ripole might be another option to try to keep the width down, but this would put more stress on the rear panels.
Slot-loaded-W-frame.png
Linkwitz-W-frame.png
Ripole.png

Right now my SLOB is looking like it will be 280-300mm tall, about 280-300mm deep and maybe 300-350mm wide. Add in another 100-130mm to the width for the DQ25/TG9 baffle and my final size might be 300x430x300mm HWD landscape and within my target. Hope I can make the 70mm 3.3x compression SLOB work.
I will get some new EVA/Cork tiles tomorrow along with some threaded rods and will start gluing this week.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Maybe lay the Kazba on its side for a landscape monitor bridge ?

My initial testing of the dual W5-876SE drivers in an OB are not good from Max SPL standpoint. They seem to hit xmax at pretty low volumes in order to reach 50Hz even. They are low Qts motors designed for vented alignments of horn loading even.

Last edited:
XRK, when you made your SLOB with those W5-876se, did it go lower and louder than the Z-frame? One of Nelson Pass's statements about the SLOB (and ripole) is that the slot loading compression causes the Fs to lower and the Qts to raise.

Sent from my K00R using Tapatalk

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
XRK, when you made your SLOB with those W5-876se, did it go lower and louder than the Z-frame? One of Nelson Pass's statements about the SLOB (and ripole) is that the slot loading compression causes the Fs to lower and the Qts to raise.

Sent from my K00R using Tapatalk

It was not mounted in a baffle so there was self cancellation going on and can't tell if it was louder. I think it would be. My Kazba definitely is more sensitive and measurement of fs went down and Qt went up I believe. Kazba is actually a slob but the slot length is aperiodic. In the Kazba thread I show measurements where fs went from forty something to thirty something Hz. I will measure the current Kazba fs and Q and post. Had some time to work on the trapezoidal OB top today as well as the Kazba. It makes nice bass - very quick and clear transient. I had to pad it down by 6dB to match the TG9. Still waiting for ND25FA tweeters to come in. My DC28F frame and bezel are too wide to have good ctc spacing. I stuck a cheap Mylar dome tweet in there for now to fill the hole and get some sound. I probably should flip the K aperture to get the bass to mid ctc smaller. I made some wings on the back of the trapezoid OB to act as legs and also to extend bass of TG9 so it can cross at a relatively low 300Hz. The wings are asymmetric to reduce diffraction and increase bass extension and help with smoothness even farther.

509645d1445209092-ob-compact-3way-nearfield-monitor-image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 2,193
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is a rough cut at the XO so far just to make sure the woofer actually crosses the mid with good overlap. I am running the mid 1st order electrical for 2nd order acoustic and woofer 4th order electrical. The Harsch XO will work fine here.

Still a lot of work left to get delays and acoustic offsets correct. I will do it methodically in PCD with FRD files. But this is done by eye to see if it can even get there.

509646d1445209589-ob-compact-3way-nearfield-monitor-image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 3,233
Last edited:
I've made a clone like this :D
View attachment 509596

Chassis:
Woofer: Scan Speak 22W4434G00
Mid: Tang Band 75-1558SE (in a small Waveguide)
Tweeter: Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT

One Hypex AS2.100 per side.

Crossover
Woofer - Mid/Tweeter: active LR24 at 500Hz (with Hypex)
Mid/Tweeter: passive LR24 at 2500Hz

burnett, that is a brilliant kh310 clone! Excellent combination of drivers. I am using GRS 8pf in this "experiment" 3way, but if it works, then I want to upgrade to either the 22w4434, 22w8434 or 830667. Also Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT is on my short list of alternate tweeters I want to try in my Satori MW16p-4 based 2way (currently using the Dayton/Usher RS28f). I also like the mixed DSP/passive approach and have been thinking if I might be able to do that with my 3way design, but so far it looks like I am leaning toward going fully active with a pair of miniDSP and 4 stereo amps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.