• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

O2 Headphone Amplifier GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe we can check specs with NwAvGuy (RocketScientist) just before ordering, to ensure we've got the latest pcb layouts?

Absolutely! I have to go on record and say, while I'm flattered by the overnight demand, I'm also a bit uncomfortable. I design hardware like this (not currently audio hardware) for a living and I've learned the hard way it's best to walk before you run.

So far, I'm the only one who's built an O2 on a similar PCB. The PCB artwork I've posted has a few minor revisions from the last one I had made. And it's not out of the question I've made a mistake I haven't discovered yet. I was hoping someone experienced with reviewing PCBs might at least go over the Gerbers.

I was also hoping for an initial run of perhaps 10 - 20 boards not 100+. If you do the math we're already talking about others investing at least $3000 in a brand new design. Like I said, that's flattering but it's also a bit scary.

The original cut off for the GB was, I believe, the end of the month. Hopefully by then I'll have at least done more testing and perhaps I can get a board or two into the hands of others from the few I have.

At the least, I would strongly encourage everyone to hold off ordering parts until the PCB boards are ordered by Olli. The lead times for the parts should be less than for the boards. So you'll still have the parts before the boards arrive. That way if things change you can make sure you're ordering the latest parts. There's little reason to order them sooner. That also allows anyone to cut their losses if it comes out the O2 has some serious problem I'm unaware of.

An example of why not to order parts yet: In working on the second half of my op amp article today I've made some interesting discoveries. At the new gain settings the various op amps perform a bit differently. Some might want to use an NE5532 instead of the NJM2068 for the gain stage. I've already made some updates to the last O2 article.

where are you putting it? i can't find it in the first & second page

It doesn't let me edit posts after a while so I am keeping all the info in a spreadsheet. I have copied and pasted it below. Messy, but it is all there. If anyone sees a mistake in their order, let me know via PM.

Olli1324 5
fishski13 1
AussieAmpBloke 2
Limp 2
agdr 2
SpaceTimeMorph 2
jerryyo 1
Fivetide 5
coacharnold 2
rtos 2
bcg27 2
Soaa 1
focal1 1
tcpoint 1
BobSaysHi 2
forsakenrider 2
Archimonde 2
deadkenny64 1
lenconian 1
Fiola 2
egallego 2
azirath 3
pcourtney 6
korben69 2
idjoel2000 1
sofaspud 1
WJH 1
mattycu 1
diamonddustin 2
dshambala 2
Currawong 2
Nezbleu 2
dogbert 2
bada bing 3
Charlie Ip 2
kike01 2
Etiriv 2
jenkmj 2
lurkumaural 1
alworx 2
castlevania22 1
flu_fighter 4
Ferrari 2
eketels 2
ricjd 4
retoll34 2
mik000000 2
neob 1
tacitapproval 1
pbd172 1
skozsert 1
Boscoe 2
c61746961 4
glt 2
guglielmope 1

Last edited:
You know I'm in.
2x (US)

Don't be freaked out too much. A lot of flapping goes on about what op amp might sound better than one another and how you must have silver cables etc. I think there is a certain sect of the DIY community that is really tired of it, and just wants a headphone amp that doesn't double as blind EQ.;)

:EDIT I forgot to thank you Olli. And NWAVGuy. You guys rock. There totally needs to be a Bro Fist emoticon.

Last edited:
I can't tell if you are saying it would be best for a group buy or just let people place their own orders? (I assume the latter?)

If a GB reached 100 mouser kits, the organiser would have to sort 7,700 components into handy labelled bags. I'm certainly not doing that :D

Sorry, I indeed meant that there is no point IMO in a group buy for parts, since that is what Mouser does effectively anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.