Now Playing + What are you listening to?

How about 'Brothers in Arms' by Dire Straits? Always a thought provoking record for myself.

'Lake of Fire' covered by Nirvana on their Unplugged sessions is quite a nice recording and has meaning too. Something which a lot of the more modern, i.e Simon Cowell et al, 'artists' just don't possess.

A lot of J.J. Cales recordings are prety cool and another favourite of mine is 'Dead End Stret' by The Kinks, still as poignant today as it was in'67.

I am 34 years old and find myself going further and furthwer back in time to find decent music. Problem is though I don't know where to look as the major 'chain' record shops that are dominating the high-street shoppimg centres stock only the latest pop-music.

Any suggestions as to where I can find some quality music ? I listem to everything from Prokofiev to Paul Simon. Malouma to Massive Attack so i thibnk I have a varied taste........except Simon Cowell!!!!

Cheers
Gareth

gareth said:

Any suggestions as to where I can find some quality music ? I listem to everything from Prokofiev to Paul Simon. Malouma to Massive Attack so i thibnk I have a varied taste........except Simon Cowell!!!!

Cheers
Gareth

I gave up going to music shops years ago, they rarely if ever had what I wanted and when they did they were overcharging for it.

Everything I buy now is sourced on the net*. Predominantly from Amazon/Amazon Marketplace or eBay.

A few discs have been bought direct from the artists websites. Sometimes this is the only source for them, it was for a while for Orianthi but her CDs are now available from a couple of online sources.

*Cds of Mylene Farmer, Zhong Ting Ting, Zhao Cong, Happy Rhodes, Mika Agametsu etc. are just not available in this country, anywhere.

myglaren said:

I gave up going to music shops years ago, they rarely if ever had what I wanted and when they did they were overcharging for it.

Everything I buy now is sourced on the net*. Predominantly from Amazon/Amazon Marketplace or eBay.

*Cds of Mylene Farmer, Zhong Ting Ting, Zhao Cong, Happy Rhodes, Mika Agametsu etc. are just not available in this country, anywhere.

I used to come across some pretty good finds in the stores, a few had quite good import sections, but now if a CD isn't going to sell a million copies in the first month they don't want it taking up space.

I have managed to get pretty much all of the Happy Rhodes CDs though :)
Now if I could just learn French I could maybe order the stuff I want from Amazon.fr :\

now playing... after mentioning it in another thread I'm listening to the Nocne Graffiti soundtrack

radtech said:
I used to come across some pretty good finds in the stores, a few had quite good import sections, but now if a CD isn't going to sell a million copies in the first month they don't want it taking up space.

Now if I could just learn French I could maybe order the stuff I want from Amazon.fr :\

now playing... after mentioning it in another thread I'm listening to the Nocne Graffiti soundtrack

I can't speak nor read French or Japanese but have managed to buy stuff from Amazon.fr and Amazon.jp

Touch and go at first though.

Jean said:
myglaren - not easy to find her stuff here stateside, I've only seen Live a Bercy, Avan Que l'ombre and Mylenium Tour :)

I just recently started listening to her stuff, been a long time Patricia Kaas fan...

Much the same in England. I use mainly Amazon.fr and eBay.
Got the Avant Que L'ombre box set limited edition CDs + DVDs for €120 (usually go for >€1,000 :eek:

She was unable to break into the American market. Odd as she lives in LA. She won't sing in English though.

radtech said:

If you like Happy Rhodes, this may please you - video of some live performances made by one of her friends.

Gainoh Yamashirogumi - Ecophony Gaia

Heard this record in a barber shop 20 years ago - the barber wrote the artists and the name of the album down for me, but I did not find this record anywhere those times.
I tried to find it again 10 years ago, when the internet came up - no
result.
Two weeks ago, I stumbled over the barber´s 20 years old note while cleaning up, checked the net -et voilá, bought the CD immediately - When I heard to it the first time, I even recognized the track that impressed me 20 years ago.
But Geinoh Yamashiroguimi (a collective of musicians, but also ethnologists, computer programmers) are not as rare or unknown as I thought-
They became famous (to the west) with the soundtrack of the animated film "Akira"...
one will call it "world music" with blends from gamelan music , Taiko and No, but also european and buddhist chants, synthesizers, some blends of pop.
But they started in the 70´s very "genuine": With Bulgarian chants!
Oh, btw:
Windham Hill were one of the very first CD´s I bought - George Winston, of course, Liz Story, "An Evening with Windham Hill Live" is still on my Cd-player sometimes