Now Playing + What are you listening to?

2009 remix of Tubular Bells i found in mint condition for 50 pence at my local charity shop yesterday .
It hasn't aged well , just got to the end of track one where he names all the instruments in a ' posh ' voice .
It may once have been a classic but just sounds like pretentious cr@p now and the remixing is awful.

Always meant to buy that LP back in the day when the title track was on the radio, and the scary movie was in the theaters; never got around to it. To this day I've only ever heard the Tubular Bells song, which I like, but always seemed an odd choice for a radio single.

Were you familiar with the whole album from its original time, Mr. K, or are you just hearing it all now for the first time? I find it curious to listen to music for the first time these days that I didn't hear way back when. Even if it's from a band whose music I enjoyed at the time, it's hit-or-miss as to whether I'll like it at all now. I think the difference is all the nostalgia / memories that attach themselves to the stuff we hear in its own time. When we hear similar music for the first time nowadays, it hasn't had the chance to "imprint" on us in the same manner.

Or, it might just suck, heh.

Last edited:
Yes Jim i had the original LP , i also sneaked into the cinema aged 13 to watch that film :D.
The original Part 1 was much better , the rest of the remixed version is ok though, i guess some stuff is best left unadulterated although i quite like hearing different versions of classics this one should have been left as it was.

The Jeff Beck Group, eponymous (the "orange" album), original '70s Quadraphonic mix on Mobile Fidelity SACD.

There's something amazing about a lot of these old Quad mixes. And it's not even the mixes themselves, many of which are fairly gimmicky or just plain silly. Throw the drums back in the right corner, lead guitar back in the left - makes no musical sense, and is one of the reasons I never got into Quad back when it was happening (the main reason of course being I couldn't afford all the extra gear required).

But there's something different about the sound of these things, compared to the stereo mixes we've grown accustomed to down through the years. Take this title, for example. I dearly love this LP, always have, and yet I've always been disappointed with the sound. Max's piano always sounds weak and tinny, and there are little crusty globs of distortion that show up frequently. All this can be heard even on the original stereo mix included on a different layer of this same SACD.

I always attributed these shortcomings to cartridge mistracking and other vinyl limitations. When the stereo CD was finally released, it seemed a bit better, but not by much. But this! The quad mix has the piano sounding like a piano, the drums are dynamic, the unintentional distortion is gone, and the "good" distortion on guitar and Rhodes piano is nice and crunchy - gooder than ever! This all begs the question: What the hell happened to the stereo mixes of these records?

I can only speculate, so I will. :) I would guess that these Quad mixes were done in a different studio with different, possibly newer & better-sounding gear from the older stereo rooms. Also, it sounds like many of these mixes were done in a bit of a rush - there are some obvious mistakes in some of them. But it's also obvious that many of the "standard" stereo mix/master treatments (overall reverb, compression, etc.) were omitted on the Quad releases. I believe this may be a blessing in disguise, having allowed the original sound to emerge unmolested.

Whatever the reasons, it sure is cool. This is one of my favorite old albums, and I never expected to hear it like this! Great stuff.

Last edited: