Now Playing + What are you listening to?

There are 2 clues in the song itself. First, the solo in "Lucky Man" spans 4-1/2 octaves. The Minimoog's keyboard is only 3-1/2 (the modular's is 5). Also, the portamento, or glide effect on the solo has a distinctive exponential characteristic - you can hear the notes swoop rapidly up & down, then settle gradually into the new pitch. This was the way the modular keyboard worked. The Mini on the other hand used a linear glide circuit that produced a noticeably different effect. (I'm trying to think of a song that demonstrates the Mini glide, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll post a link if I remember one.)
Thanks for clearing that up, Jim. Now I have to listen to it all over again. :)

I know there are long synth-glides in the music of PFM, so I had to look one up but found this instead. Ian Anderson and Premiata Forneria Marcone - COOL!:D

PFM & Ian Andersson - Bouree

Very nice! Jethro Tull's Stand Up, which included this improv, was the very first LP I purchased as a wee lad, with profits from my very first job (a paper route). :p

When we were still kids at home, my sister had that Iron Butterfly LP. She didn't take care of her records, and so this song wound up with a ding right in the middle of the drum solo.

Fifty years later, listening to this tune as it streams from whatever newfangled device, I still tense up a bit waiting for that drum solo to skip. :rolleyes:

When we were still kids at home, my sister had that Iron Butterfly LP. She didn't take care of her records, and so this song wound up with a ding right in the middle of the drum solo.

Fifty years later, listening to this tune as it streams from whatever newfangled device, I still tense up a bit waiting for that drum solo to skip. :rolleyes:

Years ago as kids we played with making headphone recordings.

Setting up two microphones 6" apart then recording
what was played through the speakers.

My sister called me to supper later when I listened to the tape I answered
her when she called to me on the tape, only to find she had not called me.

Hee hee!

Lately, being a bit too busy and making a laughable attempt to multitask, I've tried using my work laptop on a TV table in front of the desktop, where the big computer is surfing diyAudio, watching TV/movies, etc. I find it nearly impossible to remember which keyboard/mouse I'm manipulating vs which screen I'm peering at.

At this stage of my life I should know better than to even try something like this.