No more CDs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's only those old farts who say that ... (see link below)
that's ok, world is going to end anyway...
The World is already ending:
The Sizzling Sound of Music - O'Reilly Radar
And here was I thinking the replacement was going to be a very high resolution "Flash drive" in the same size as a floppy, I was happy enough with HDCD and look where that went
I recall when mp3's were getting popular 10 years ago and reading people online saying "Someday we'll have a lot more bandwidth on the Internet and we can download CD's directly." No, people just download a larger quantity of 128k mp3's.

I recall when mp3's were getting popular 10 years ago and reading people online saying "Someday we'll have a lot more bandwidth on the Internet and we can download CD's directly." No, people just download a larger quantity of 128k mp3's.

you are right , but few bands have cds available for download (payed) , all distribution costs/comissions could be avoided and artists would receive their money directly , being the single cost the recording that if made at home is almost free

I object to the insane greed of the corporate giants. If I buy an album / movie / book, I own that copy. If I owned it at a beta-video then I had to re-buy it on VHS and rebuy it on DVD and all the while corporate greed screams YES!!!!! in an ecstatic almost orgasmic scream of pure pleasure. To have me buy it every time I want to listen/watch it would put the corporations into orgasmic overload.

Would it not be nice if I could pay the artist direct, Ah utopia, a dream perhaps, but ahhhh so wonderful.

And of course we would all pay the small fee to the artist. Of course .... they're rich and I'm not .... I'll do it later ....... I'll send this to all my mates ........ . Will the artist ever get paid. Corporate greed has it's alter ego. We like to think of humans as the greatest of hunter / gatherers. We don't like to view ourselves as scavengers ...... but we are!

Two sides of the one coin, both unpleasant.

Terry

If you think that the "corporations" are greedy, by all means buy stock in them! As a shareholder, I would expect them to do what it takes to maximize profit- if I were a shareholder in a large media company, I would certainly want to see them moving toward a download distribution model, which saves a great deal of cost. Physical media is for old folks, and they're ("we're," actually) not the mainstream. And indeed, that it the direction they're going.

I'm fortunate in that my favorite artists have discovered alternate means of distribution and promotion, and a larger portion of my purchase dollars goes into their pockets. But don't think for a minute that "major" artists are any less "greedy" and "profit-oriented" than those awful corporations. For example, Bono (a billionaire) takes his private jets to places to make speeches about how the rest of us need to pony up money for environmental causes, and uses tax dodges to avoid contributing himself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.