No more CDs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Precisely. With hard media, the cost for two or three SKUs is two or three times higher. With distribution via brick and mortar, even worse. Using downloads, the marginal cost of different versions is near-zero, and the availability of lower quantity/higher price versions suddenly becomes more attractive.

As per my first post I envision a future with virtually no downloads, ownership of copies of recordings will become a thing of the past. Perhaps audiophiles will continue to do this for a long time though.
Men do like to hoard or collect but most people do not value music in the same way as audiophiles. CD cases are not attractive items like records, they will go the way of the cassette tape.

As broadband connectivity gets easier and faster throughout the world streaming will take over from downloading. The average guy on the street does not care about bitrates etc. Joe Average cares about convenience, minimal fuss, instant gratification with minimum effort involved.
Eventually the average music lover will simply listen to streamed music on account, wherever they are. Audiophiles will pay a premium for higher bitrate accounts.

not much has really changed

new music is compressed to death (loudness wars) so the lower quality Mp3 wouldn't matter since we won't be listening to the new crap anyways.

and this is different from most of the crap issued in the '50s, 60's, 70s, etc.. for mass market consumption on noisy evanescent vinyl..., how?? remember, the medium is just the messenger...;);)

John L.

Last edited:
I think the OP report is somewhat premature (they were wrong about vinyl, too) but the economics of software audio distribution are attractive. There is, though, the attractiveness of hard copy permanence that still needs to be overcome. Widespread streaming will be something like 8G technology. IOW, still a ways into the future.
Here's an idea... I've heard for years about "wearable electronics." So you attend a concert, and get a tour t-shirt with the latest album built in.
Can I patent that?

As per my first post I envision a future with virtually no downloads, ownership of copies of recordings will become a thing of the past. Perhaps audiophiles will continue to do this for a long time though.
Men do like to hoard or collect but most people do not value music in the same way as audiophiles. CD cases are not attractive items like records, they will go the way of the cassette tape.

As broadband connectivity gets easier and faster throughout the world streaming will take over from downloading. The average guy on the street does not care about bitrates etc. Joe Average cares about convenience, minimal fuss, instant gratification with minimum effort involved.
Eventually the average music lover will simply listen to streamed music on account, wherever they are. Audiophiles will pay a premium for higher bitrate accounts.

So in the future people will "rent" their music?

I think that in the future, due to better food supplies, better education and the rise of the average IQ, people will begin to see things the same way I do. This will result in the demand for quality downloads of their favorite symphonic music, as well as bagpipes. Anyone that, for whatever reason, does disagree will be directed to the Department of Mind Alignment to get the necessary "repairs."

Yes Comrade, I forsee a much brighter future for all of mankind!...(or maybe not)

Best Regards,
TerryO

i´m not worried i already have everything i like in CD :D

I understand supply of traditional CD mech's are drying up.
Better hope Blu ray and DVD stick around for a good few years. Maybe beardy weirdy old men of the future will meet to discuss classic CD mech's instead of rare triodes and fullrange units with alnico magnets.

Eventually we will stream everything and cloud computing will kill off expensive physical storage mechanisms in the home. Then Google will own you!
I suppose the current financial situation effecting the world is slowing "progress" in that direction as expensive advanced fast infrastructure is not invested in quite so rapidly.

So in the future people will "rent" their music?

Yes Comrade, I forsee a much brighter future for all of mankind!...(or maybe not)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yeah, and the movies (love film etc), like telephone and tv, with your personal files sitting in virtual space on servers Cloud computing.

Of course lots of people will not like that idea, physical formats will be with us for a long time to come, I hope.

Well comrade, in these uncertain times when terrorists strike perhaps it will be easy for the world police to justify checking on your electronic imprint.
See exactly what you are doing, who you talk with, where you are and where you have been, what films, books and music may influence your actions.
One possible future. Electronic big brother comrade!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.