• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Nigel Wright's Vendor Thread

Hi Nigel,

The price and features are very good value, you would think many folks would use it over other options with hard limits.
I currently am using Orcad 16.1 which fine for what I do. I once was employed as a pcb designer that used Mentor Board Station and Cadence Allegro, so I have an idea what is required for high end eCAD.
Do you offer any documentation and how about some sort of way to evaluate the product before making a commitment to buy it. As you know the CAD library development is a large part of the work, so how extensive is your library?
Do you have classes for net types, drc rules for each net class?
I am puzzled by your feature "Gerber file viewer (PCBCAD51 files only)"
gerber rs274x is generic, why would it not be able to read in any rs274x data? just like my copy of Gerbtool does?

Hi Nigel,

The price and features are very good value, you would think many folks would use it over other options with hard limits.
I currently am using Orcad 16.1 which fine for what I do. I once was employed as a pcb designer that used Mentor Board Station and Cadence Allegro, so I have an idea what is required for high end eCAD.
Do you offer any documentation and how about some sort of way to evaluate the product before making a commitment to buy it. As you know the CAD library development is a large part of the work, so how extensive is your library?
Do you have classes for net types, drc rules for each net class?
I am puzzled by your feature "Gerber file viewer (PCBCAD51 files only)"
gerber rs274x is generic, why would it not be able to read in any rs274x data? just like my copy of Gerbtool does?

I just sell it as it is described. It does what it says in the ad. Most people just accept that.
The libraries are quite minimal but to add every components ever made would mean the software would never be finished. There are 7400 and 4000 through hole and SMD libraries. There is also a general library for resistors, capacitors, transistors etc. The software does have component wizards to make
new components with minimum of fuss.
RX274X is a massive specification and it is unusual for cad packages to include every option. I use a subset and that works fine. The viewer only has to read output from the PCBCAD51 gerber file generator anyway.
The gerber viewer is more for my benefit to make sure output is as it should be. It is also checked against GCprevue too.

Last edited:
Here is part of the manual.

PCB DESIGN SOFTWARE

(C) MURTON-PIKE SYSTEMS

PCBCAD360 PCB design software © Murton-Pike Systems

Click on the module you want help with

Some Basics

Contacts for help

Schematic Definitions

Integrity Check

PCB Definitions

PCB to Gerber Translator

Schematic Entry

Gerber Viewer

Schematic to PCB Translator

Parts List Generator

PCB Entry

Re-Annotator

Pick and Place file

Some Basics.

A schematic (circuit diagram) is made up from schematic library symbols, text and lines.

The lines join pins together or the pins can have lines with tags on them with net names for describing the line i.e. GND or VCC etc. All lines with the same net name (case sensitive) will be joined together when the schematic is later converted to a PCB. This creates a much neater layout than hundreds of lines going all over the place.

A PCB (printed circuit board) is made up from PCB library symbols, tracks and text of which can be on one or more layers.

A single sided PCB will have a silk screen (layer 0), copper (layer 1), solder resist (layer 1) and a power plane (layer 1).

A double sided PCB would have silk screen (layer 0), copper (layers 1 & 2), solder resist on both layers, and 2 power planes. Don't worry about solder resist layers as this is done automatically later by the Gerber file generator.

Both schematics and PCBs are built from symbol definitions and these are kept in libraries. Some basic libraries are supplied.

You can design your own symbol definitions using either the definition wizards or do it by hand.

Once the schematic is drawn it can be translated into a PCB. You will be warned if any errors occurred in the translation process.

The first time the PCB is viewed it will be in ratsnest form (just symbols and lines)

You can use the layout functions to place the components and then route the PCB.

Auto placers and autorouters are supplied.

Once the PCB is laid out with an outline it can be converted into Gerber and Excellon drill files for your manufacturer.

The files are in the RS274X format which not only holds the lines but the apertures (sizes) too.

Moving around.

Clearly you need to move around a layout to place or edit components, tracks, text etc.

Cursor keys = pan around a layout, up, down, right and left.

“Z” key = zoom in to the layout.

“U” key = unzoom out from the layout.

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 keys give direct zooms, 1 = closest.

Shift + left mouse button pans to the point you click on.

Ctrl + left mouse button pans and zooms in Schematic Entry and PCB Entry.

Mouse wheel = zooms in/out.

Mouse middle button = pans to point you click on.

Pick and Place.

Most of the modules work on a Main Menu and drop down menu system.

For example, I would add text by pressing F6 from the main menu then clicking on the place I want to put the text, once the text is laid then the "Text" drop down menu comes into play and you can edit the attributes of the text. Lines/tracks are a little different as you need at least two points to make a track. Once the second point is laid then the "Track" drop down menu comes into play. Pressing escape exits the current mode. The status bar at the bottom of the screen will prompt you for what it expects next or will give an indication of the mode you are in like "edit track" or "edit text".

Its a little more complicated for laying down a component. Press F8, move the cursor somewhere onto the grid then click the left mouse button. You then choose a library with a double click left mouse button, you then choose a symbol with a double click left mouse button. The symbol can then be edited, moved etc via the Symbol drop down menu.

Alternatively you can use the right click context menu's to navigate the menu system.

Right click then left click on the function you require, press escape key to exit the current mode and go back to the main menu.

Layers

A PCB is made of from various layers consisting of copper, silk screen and solder resist.

A silk screen would hold the component reference numbers, outlines for the components and the PCB outline.

A copper layer consists of pads, tracks and possibly text.

Solder resist is used to stop solder running between pads and shorting them out.

PCBCAD360 also provides copper pours that are made up of copper that is not used by tracks, pads and text.

In PCBCAD360 layer 0 is top silk screen, layers 1-n are copper layers then the bottom layer is a second silk screen for if surface mount devices are put on both sides of the board. Solder resist layers are generated automatically at the Gerber file generation stage. PCBCAD360 allow connecting each copper pour layer to a different net.

In PCB definitions and PCB entry silk screen shows up as white. Copper layer 1 is red and copper layer 2 is green.

On components where a pad appears on every layer it is said to be "all layer" and this will be light blue.

Have a play with supplied files.

I would highly recommend having a look around before getting stuck into anything serious. Go into Schematic Definitions and click on “Library Definitions” then “Get from Library”, choose any library then choose any component. This will show what is needed to create a library definition. A special case is 4000 in the 4000 library where separators are used to allow gates and the power supply pins to be moved around independently. See how I have constructed the 4000 IC to see how it is done.

Load in “single” in Schematic Entry and see what I have done, notice the tags on the end of lines with net names.

Load in “single” in PCB entry and have a play, press F1 then click on a track, use “b” and “n” for back and next segments to move around. Press F5 then click on some text and change it by pressing “a” to edit its attributes. Don't save the files after you have changed them!

Touch gestures.

The gestures available will depend if your touch screen is single or multiple touch.

Tap - moves mouse pointer and is also used to move objects when selected.

Tap + shift button - pan to tap point.

Pinch two fingers together or apart to zoom in or out on a document.
Press-and-hold – Hold your finger on screen for a moment and release after the animation to get a right-click.
Press-and-tap with a second finger – to get right-click, just like you would click the right button on a mouse or trackpad.

Press-and-move to pan.

Schematic Definitions

This module creates library components for a schematic.

The easiest way is to use the Definition Wizard on the top menu bar.

This will ask a few questions like vertical pitch of pins etc. and automatically designs the definition for you. Once the definition is designed save it to a library by clicking on “Library Definitions” then “Add to library or update library” Naming of the new definition is very important as it is case sensitive and must not be duplicated in any library unless updating. The exact same name must be used for a PCB definition so the schematic can be converted to a PCB later.

If the definition wizard does not design what you want then you need to build your own definition from pins, text, reference(s) and lines. A good shortcut can be getting a similar definition from the library, editing it, and then saving it as a new definition with a new name.

Note it is vital that the schematic and PCB definition have the same reference type i.e. R, IC, L, D, Q or the schematic to PCB converter will give an error.

Main Menu

F1 Edit line – picks up a line for editing.

F2 New Line – adds a new line to the definition.

F3 Edit Separator – picks up a separator for editing.

F4 New Separator – adds a new separator to the definition.

F5 Edit Text – picks up text for editing.

F6 New Text – adds new text to the definition.

F7 Edit Pin – picks up a pin for editing.

F8 New Pin. – adds a new pin to the definition.

F9 Blockmode – allows functions on blocks of components.

Edit Reference – picks up reference for editing.

New Reference – add a new reference to the definition.

Edit Value – picks up the value for editing.

Status – displays memory status.

ReAlign Definition – aligns whole definition to full-grid.

Line Menu.

Back – moves cursor to previous segment.

Current – moves cursor to current segment.

Delete – deletes current segment.

End – moves cursor to final segment.

Home – moves cursor to first segment.

Invert – inverts whole line direction.

Circle – draws a circle from a single segment using the x length as the radius.

Kill – kills whole line.

Next – moves cursor to next segment.

Repeat – repeat whole line.

Shift – shift the whole line.

Line width – change whole line width

Segment width – change segment width.

Pin Menu

Attributes – alters pin attributes like size etc.

Current – moves cursor to current pin.

Delete – deletes pin.

Move whole pin – move whole pin.

Move pin number – just move pin number.

Move pin name – just move pin name.

All pin size – change size of all pins.

Repeat – repeat pin.

Mirror in x direction – mirror pin number and name in x direction.

Mirror in y direction – mirror pin number and name in y direction.

Auto adjust pin number and text – adjusts pin number and name.

Reference Menu

Current – move cursor to current reference.

Delete – delete reference.

Move – move reference.

Repeat – repeat reference

Reference type name – alter reference name i.e. IC or R or C etc.

Change reference names – change reference name types.

Library Definition Menu

New library definition – clears memory to start a new definition.

Get from library to edit – get a library definition from a library to edit

Add or update to library – adds a definition to a library or updates it.

Delete – delete definition from a library.

Create new library – creates a new definition library.

Scan library – scans library for a definition to edit.

Creating a Schematic Definition.

The easiest way is to use the Definition Wizard.

Click on “Definition Wizard” then SIL package.

Type in 10 in the “Number of pins in column” editbox.

Type mydef in the “Definition Name” editbox.

Click on IC in the “Reference type”.

Then click OK.

You will be prompted for the pin names ten times.

Fill these in or leave them blank as you choose.

You will then have a finished definition displayed on the screen.

Click on “Library definitions” then “Add to library or update library”.

You will be prompted for a name but just click OK as you already have one.

Choose a library to save the definition to i.e. general.slb for general components. The definition has now been saved to a library and can be picked out when designing a schematic later.

PCB Definitions.

This module creates library components for a PCB.

The easiest way is to use the Definition Wizard on the top menu bar.

This will ask a few questions like vertical pitch of pads and automatically design the definition for you. Once the definition is designed save it to a library by clicking on “Library Definitions” then “Add to library or update library”

Definition pads can be made in metric or imperial measurements.

The smallest resolution is in 1 thousandth of an inch so this means metric measurements will be rounded up or down to the nearest 1 thou of an inch.

If you choose to design a definition by hand it is vital that a pin lies exactly on top of the pad. There is a function when inputting a pad to add a pin exactly on top of it.

If you make a pad a single layer then the gerber translator will assume no through hole plating on the holes.

If you want through hole plating on the holes then make the layer “all layer”

Track Menu

Track layer –alter whole track layer

Back – move cursor back one segment.

Current – move cursor to current segment.

Delete segment – delete current segment.

End – move cursor to final segment.

Home – move cursor to first segment.

Invert – invert whole track direction.

Circle – draws a circle from a single segment using the x length as the radius.

Kill – kill whole track.

Next – move cursor to next segment.

Segment layer – change layer of current segment.

Repeat – repeat whole track.

Shift – shift whole track.

Track width – change whole track width.

Segment width – change width of current track segment.

Resist on/off – switch solder resist on/off on current segment.

Copy layer to all tracks – copies layer of current track to all tracks.

Pad Menu

Attributes – alters layer, size etc. of current pad.

Current – moves cursor to current pad.

Delete – deletes current pad.

Move – moves current pad.

Repeat – repeats current pad.

Repeat with place relative – repeats current pad to an x/y displacement.

Copy current pad to all pads – copies layer of current pad to all pads.

Creating a PCB Definition.

The easiest way is to use the Definition Wizard.

Click on “Definition Wizard” then DIL package.

Select Inches or Millimetres.

Type in 4 in the “Number of pins in column” editbox.

Type mydef in the “Definition Name” editbox.

Click on IC in the “Reference type”.

Then click OK.

You will then have a finished 8 pin definition displayed on the screen.

Click on “Library definitions” then “Add to library or update library”.

You will be prompted for a name but just click OK as you already have one.

Double left click on a library to save the definition to i.e. schem.plb for general components. The definition has now been saved to a library.

Schematic Entry

This module allows the design of a schematic drawing using symbols, lines and text. Press F8 then click on the place you want to put the component, and then choose a library, then click on the symbol you want to use. Once the component is placed you can use the Symbols drop down menu to alter the attributes of the symbol.

Connect pins together with lines. As you click on a pin you will here a sound to show you hit the pin.

Move the mouse to one side of the pin then click the left mouse button to lay the line.

You can keep left clicking the mouse to add segments to the line.

You can give the lines names (net names) and put a tag at the end of the line by pressing "g" then "x" to change the name.

Note you cant have a tag where a line hits a component pin. The tag can only be on when away from a component pin.

This saves running lines all over your schematic. The schematic to PCB converter automatically connects the same net names when converting to a PCB.

Main Menu

F1 Edit line - pick up a line for editing.

F2 New line - add a new line.

F3 Edit separator - pick up separator for editing.

F4 New separator - add a new separator

F5 Edit text - pick up text for editing.

F6 New text - add new text.

F7 Edit symbol - pick up a symbol for editing.

F8 New Symbol - add a new symbol.

New symbol from recently used list - add a new symbol from the list of already used symbols.

F9 Blockmode - enter blockmode for operations on blocks of symbols etc.

Locate symbol - locate a symbol i.e. IC 1

Status - memory status.

Align everything to grid - align all symbols to 100 thou grid.

Render capability - rendering capability of the graphics card (design use only)

Line Menu

Tag angle - changes angle of line tag.

Back - moves cursor back one segment

Current - moves cursor to current line segment.

Delete - delete current line segment.

End - moves cursor to final line segment.

Tag on/off - switches the tag on or off.

Home - moves cursor to first line segment.

Invert - inverts direction of the line.

Kill - kills whole line.

Next - moves cursor to next line segment.

Repeat - repeats the whole line.

Repeat with netname increment - repeats whole line but adds 1 to number part of netname.

Repeat with netname decrement - repeats whole line but subtracts 1 from number part of netname.

Line name - changes the tag name for the line.

Symbol Menu

Attributes - change attributes of symbol.

Current - moves cursor to current symbol.

Delete - delete current symbol.

Mirror x - mirror symbol in x direction.

Move - move symbol.

Reference number - change reference number.

Repeat - repeat symbol.

Pin swap - swap two pins on the symbol.

Update - update symbol from the library. (Used after a symbol is changed in the library.)

Value - change value i.e. 10K 100nf etc.

Mirror y - mirror symbol in y direction.

Design Rules

Find single ended net - Find a net that is only connected to one pin.

Unconnected pin scan - Look for symbols with unconnected pins.

Check for lines under pins errors - Finds line that are on the same point as a pin but not connected to the pin errors.

Check for pin on pin errors - Finds pins on top of pins, this is an error.

NETNAMES.

All lines with the same netname will be connected together when later translated to a PCB.

Note: if you change a netname then all occurrences of that name will be changed if the net meshes with other nets, otherwise just the current netname changes.

Adding a new line will create a unique netname each time unless you connect to another line in which case the new line will take the name of the line it connects to.

Schematic to PCB Translator

This module converts a schematic into a rats nest PCB with the same name as the schematic.

Any errors will be displayed. An error could be "symbol not found in PCB library", this means there is not a symbol with the same name in the PCB libraries.

Another error is "schematic and PCB symbol types not the same", this means you have the PCB symbol a different type like R instead of IC, these must match !

PCB Entry

This module allows editing of a PCB converted from a Schematic.

A typical strategy would be.

Create your schematic first then translate it to a rats nest PCB.

Go into PCB Entry and load in your file.

Click on “Optimise/Route” then “Orientate all components to angle 0”

This will put all the components in the same orientation.

Click on “Optimise/Route” then “Autoplace Corner”.

This will bring all the components together in the top left hand corner of the grid.

Click on "Optimise/Route" then "auto-autoplace" and let this run for a few minutes.

Click on "Optimise/Route" then "swap autoplace" and let this finish or at least run for a few minutes

Now finish with "Optimise/Route" “Place and Route”.

This repeatedly autoplaces and routes the PCB looking for the best solution.

Let this run for 5-10 minutes then cancel it to get the best route so far.

If some tracks have not been routed then press F1 then left click anywhere on the grid.

Then press “q” to find the next shortest track to route, you can add segments by left clicking or change layers, track widths etc. by the “Track” drop down menu.

A vital addition is a PCB outline, use a track on layer 0 with a width of 2 or more to surround the PCB. If this is missing then the Gerber file generator will take exception as it needs an outline to calculate base coordinates of the PCB. Also, if there is no outline your manufacturer might possibly refuse the files.

Main Menu

F1 Edit Track - edit a track.

F2 - New track - add a new track.

F5 Edit text - edit text.

F6 New Text - add new text.

F7 Edit symbol - edit a symbol.

F8 New symbol - add a new symbol to a layout.

New symbol from already used list - add a new symbol from the list of already used symbols.
F9 Blockmode - allows operations on blocks of components.

Locate symbol - finds a symbol.

Align symbols to grid - aligns symbols to 100 thou grid.

Status - status of memory usage.

PCB Entry in more detail.

Place and Autoroute = keep placing and routing PCB and remember the best route so far until cancel clicked.

Once cancel is clicked the best route is reinstated.

Mitre = mitres corners to 45 degrees where possible. Requires a clearance check afterwards though!

Autoplace Corner – simple grouping of components into top left hand side of grid.

Swap Autoplace – recursively swap components and if swap improves net length keep the swap.

Auto-Autoplace – recursively autoplace trying every possibility, click cancel to reinstate best combination so far.

Rotational Autoplace – rotates components looking for an improvement in the net length.

Orientate all symbols to angle 0 – places all components to the same orientation as designed.

Optimise Net – reduces net length as far as possible without autoplacing.

Rubberband all tracks – changes all tracks to layer 0 and width 0 with single segment between pins.

2 layer x/y bias – puts all x biased tracks on one layer and all y biased tracks on another layer.

Insert Vertical – inserts hundred thou at point of cursor vertically for shifting components aside for routing.

Insert Horizontal – inserts hundred thou at point of cursor horizontally for shifting components aside for routing.

An option I often use is "auto-auto-placing" for 5 minutes, "swap auto-placing" until done then "auto-route." This gives good results in the shortest time.

Other PCB Entry functions

Locate Symbol – finds a symbol such as "IC 1" and zooms in on it for you.

Continuity Check – Checks each pin is connected to the correct layer and that every track is routed.

Align symbols to grid – aligns each symbol to a 100 thou of an inch grid.

Options- Grid – alters the snap to grid setting, this is useful for aligning tracks to 100 thou, 50 thou etc.

Options - Display/Printer Switches – allows switching on/off of layers and attributes for printing and display

Options - Relative Origin – sets an origin to work from.

Options - Relative coordinates – allows reading coordinates relative to the relative origin.

Options - Absolute coordinates – coordinates are relative to the top left hand corner of the grid.

Options - Imperial/Metric – sets imperial or metric coordinates when moving the mouse.

Options - Focus on content – zooms in on the whole layout. Saves panning etc..

Options - Track top layer view - makes the selected layer appear on top and also selects the powerplane layer to view.

Options – Copper pour netnames - changes net connected to each copper pour layer and copper pour underlap

Track Menu

Track layer – allows editing of whole track layer.

Back – moves cursor back one segment along track.

Current – pans to current track segment cursor.

Delete segment – deletes current track segment.

End – moves to track final segment

Autoroute Segment- autoroutes current segment.

Home – goes to first segment of track.

Invert – inverts the order of the track segments, first becomes last etc..

Autoroute Track – autoroutes whole track.

Kill whole track – deletes whole track.

Change segment layer – changes layer of current segment.

Next segment – moves cursor to next segment.

Next segment clearance error – moves cursor to next segment with a clearance error.

Next track to route – moves cursor to next shortest track to route.

Repeat track – repeats whole track.

Change track width – changes width of whole track.

Resist on/off – switches solder resist on/off on this segment.

Change segment width – changes width of current segment.

Track name – changes net name of track.

Highlight on/off – changes clearance highlight of current track.

Rubberband track – rubberband's current track.

Change via size – change via size of current segment.

Exchange layers 1 and 2 - exchange all tracks from 1 and 2 and vice versa.

Set all via size – sets the via size of every track segment on the layout.

Track Corner - rounds off a 90 degree corner.

Symbol Menu

Angle – change angle of symbol, 0=as designed, 1=+90 degrees, 2=+180 degrees, 3=+270 degrees.

Current – move cursor to current symbol.

Delete – delete current symbol.

Move reference – moves symbol reference

Flip – flips symbol over, moves layer 0 to bottom silk screen layer. Used for flipping over surface mount to bottom of PCB.

Move – move symbol.

Movable – makes symbol movable during autoplacing.

Change reference number – renumber symbol.

Repeat – repeat symbol.

Pin swap two tracks – swaps 2 pins on symbol.

Update from library – updates symbol from library after library has been changed.

Unmovable – makes symbol unmovable by autoplacing.

Line up symbols vertically – lines symbols up in vertically in a column.

Place relative – moves symbol by exact x and y amounts.

Override pin/pad layer – over ride the current surface mount pin/pad layers after flipping to put component on bottom of PCB.

Text Menu

Attributes – alter attributes of text such as layer and size etc.

Current – move cursor to current text.

Delete – delete text.

Flip – flip text over.

Move – move text

Repeat – repeat text.

Design Rules

This clearance check function checks that pads and tracks are not too close to each other, any errors are highlighted in red/yellow in PCBCAD360. You can set up the clearance in thou of an inch. I usually use 15 thou.

You can also perform a Continuity check on tracks to make sure they connect to pads of the correct layer.

The Continuity Check also looks for tracks under component pins.

You can check tracks for being out of range for the layers you are using.

You can check for vias being too small.

Beta Versions.

A useful function is the Grid-less auto-router, this will do a better job on surface mount boards. The normal gridded router is fast and good for through hole boards. It is much more tolerant of thick and thin tracks than the gridded router.

To save translating the schematic to a pcb each time a schematic change is made use the forward annotate function.

You can also set all vias to 60/40 thou inch.

Gerber Import.

This function allows input of Gerber files and Excellon drill files into PCBCAD360.

This function is guaranteed to work with PCBCAD360 files but has not been tested on other systems files.

Load in the copper files first (layers 1-127) , then the silk screen (layer 0) then finally the drill file.

The drill file must be loaded last otherwise you wont be able to see the drill holes for other layers on top of the holes.

This is a last resort way of editing a PCB and you should, where possible, use the normal Schematic then PCB route.

Integrity Check.

This module compares the schematic and PCB for differences in their net lists and displays the errors. You can print out the errors if you like.