• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Nigel Wright's Vendor Thread

Hey Nigel, what file formats do you support? I have a load of designs with schematics done in Orcad Capture 10 and layout done in Freepcb. Both were used in Win XP, but we all know where that's gone. Neither program works with Win 7 or later, so I am desperate to find a way to update. Is there any way to import to your package?

cheers
Adam in Ashland, Oregon

Hey Nigel, what file formats do you support? I have a load of designs with schematics done in Orcad Capture 10 and layout done in Freepcb. Both were used in Win XP, but we all know where that's gone. Neither program works with Win 7 or later, so I am desperate to find a way to update. Is there any way to import to your package?

cheers
Adam in Ashland, Oregon

The software only supports its own memory efficient binary format.
The software does have a gerber import but it is very basic and is only a subset of the gerber format.

The software runs under XP, Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8/8.1.

It would be a lot of work to convert all your layouts.
You would have the library symbols to add before converting your schematic and pcb.

Are you sure your orcad and freepcb programs wont run under a later version of Windows ?
Unless they are 16 bit programs they should work ok or work under a compatibility mode for XP.

Its a shame about XP.
I previously used XP along with Windows 8.1 so I could ensure my software ran under XP as well. I also used a Website design and photo software in XP 16 bit.
Last week I upgraded my pc to an i7 3.5GHz processor with new motherboard and XP wont install on it ! OK the pc is now twice as fast but I have to go out and buy new software which is a pain. I had got used to they old software.

As a software seller I was quite shocked at the number of people who still use XP.
I guess if it works why upgrade. I also develop Win 8 apps so need Win 8.1