Next Pass Shootout In Salt Lake City

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Square wave ringing?

BillWW said:

We decided the .001 UF was way too much. The 10 pF seemed the best we had tried, but the channels both seemed somewhat unstable with oscillations.

Any ideas? With no compensation caps you can see the very first photo Mark posted with a ringing peak on the leading edge. When we tried anything else, it seemed to be very unstable.

Any ideas on what to do or check?

I do not have any 43 ohm resisters on the LTP. Could that be the cause?

Ground loops?

Regards, Bill

do you have 1n cap connected between base and collector of little bjt in output CCS?

Re: Re: Square wave ringing?

choky said:

do you have 1n cap connected between base and collector of little bjt in output CCS?

I do not believe I have that value laying around. I will have to go to my local electronics store Monday when they are open and try that idea. To make sure I am looking at the right mpsa18 in my Aleph 3, is it the one bjt below the two 1.5K 1K5 UF ohm resisters off of the positive 25 volt rail? Not the current sense side? In your babelfish thread on page 1 your schematic referred to Q4 BC546?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=862357&stamp=1141601488

I hope to get this oscillations solved.

Both Mark and Lyndon were very enthusiastic about converting their Alephs after hearing mine. Mark thought maybe he could convert his Aleph 2's by changing some resisters to lower the voltage to the front end.

But for now, I still need to solve the oscillations yet alone the ringing.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: 1nF

BillWW said:
Well...

After checking, I do have some ceramic ones. No film though. Would it be better to use a film or it won't matter on the mpsa18 Q4 in your schematic Choky?

yup;
1 nanofarad from C to B of Q4 in Babelfish schm
NP sez that this cap is for preventing oscillations in CCS

ceramic is more than good for that,in fact-maybe best solution (think RF)

if that doesn't help,problem is somewhere in your physical layout of pcb and parts,not actual schmtc

btw-I have some thoughts about comparing KSA bass with J bass........not on Dynaudio :devilr:

you can try the same on some 15" based lsp system,but not on Dynaudios

Capacitors

Oh, and by the way,

Am I missing something. You all have such HUGE capacitors for your Alephs ... most people here on this board do.

My multi-purpose capacitors (i.e. must do for EVERYTHING) are 10 000uF 50V 85Celsius, and are only 30 * 40mm. A 120 000uF bundle sits nicely along my hand. Just looking back on the specification, the temperature rating looks like the most likely thing to be my undoing. It is these that I would be wanting to use on my currently non-existent Aleph 3/Babbelfish-Js.

Any thoughts please.

George.

They like a deeeeep reservoir for the power supplies on the Alephs. Pass approves, and the sound apparently can't be argued with...

There has been a lot of good discussion about large filter sections on this board, you can read for days about caps and chokes etc.

But it sure is hard to argue with so many satisfied "customers".

Re: Choky

GeorgeBoles said:
Hello Choky and everyone,

Choky, do you have a ringing problem with your circuit?

BillWW, could you just remind us what basic Aleph 3 board you are using? Do you have any pictures of what is inside your case, a little more close-up perhaps?

Regards,
George

George,

I am using the MikeW boards that are single ended. I do not think it really matters on the boards, because I also have some Aleph BrianGT boards, and they sound similiar to me.

I do not know how to post photos on the forums yet. So, would not be able to do that currently.

It seems to me all of the Alephs that I have seen ring and that they all need compensations caps.

Even with mine slightly ringing, it sounded really nice. Some argue, if you dampen the ringing too much you lose musical definition or clarity. So, you only want to dampened as little as possible.

Regards, Bill

Hello, Stocker.

Yes, I can understand the need for a large capacitance. As I wrote, 120000uF is what I am familiar with, and I am going to use that at least for any of the Alephs from 30W and up. It is just the general "bigness" of the blue capacitors which everyone seems to be using. Maybe it is a voltage or temperature thing, but I would have thought that the ones I describe should fill the bill. I guess I could add a fan if temperatures in the case get too high.

Regards,
George

Re: Square wave ringing?

BillWW said:
Mark and I worked on the Aleph 3 jfet conversion late in the evening, before I needed to go home.

We found the amp tends to oscillate with any compensation cap. We tried the .001 UF and also 10 pF and 15 pF.

We decided the .001 UF was way too much. The 10 pF seemed the best we had tried, but the channels both seemed somewhat unstable with oscillations.

Any ideas? With no compensation caps you can see the very first photo Mark posted with a ringing peak on the leading edge. When we tried anything else, it seemed to be very unstable.

Any ideas on what to do or check?

Regards, Bill

Put a resistor in series with the 10 pf. cap. Try 10 ohms.
Maybe just put a pot in there to see what is best.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:
which compensation cap is that?

they think on cap across 220K feedback resistor

I think that Bill's "abused" :devilr: amp needs compensation in output CCS or even ~1n from gate stopper of lower output mosfet to output rail,known from some iterations of Alephs

but-first,I'm sure that his amp need pair of new pcbs.......or ptp from start... ;)

Attachments

• exm.jpg
    exm.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 262
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm just curious :
whatza initial DC offset for Aleph amp (from cold) ?
I didn't make any Aleph before,so my xperience is limited to Babelfish only;

to NP,if he's willing to respond:
do we and when we will have chance to see J service manual :devilr: ?
I'm not dying from desire to make exact J,same as I will not make Z8 (even if I have several LU thingies).....I'm just curious and willing to learn something :clown:

Test tone generator

Here is an update,

I have not done much with the amp, since Mark has my test tone generator. I do have my computer, which I could use my Tri Vista DAC to output a square wave to the Aleph from my computer software generator. But after checking the square wave of the DAC, it was no where near as nice as my Test tone tube generator that Mark has. So, I became discouraged in trying to even look at my aleph with the poor output from the DAC.

I guess I will have to see Saturday how Mark is doing with it. He was going to check some of the tubes in my tone generator.

I did try 10 pF on the 220K feedback resister. On the MikeW boards, the .001 uF on the mpsa18, it only had provisions other than the base and collector, so I have not tried that exact combination yet.

I will start with the 5 pF on the feedback, but will have to most likely play around with it Saturday. Maybe I will be able to get my tube test tone generator back to try various compensations.

To me the ringing did not look that bad on the first photo in the square wave photos in this thread on page 7 I believe.

Regards, All

Thank you for all those who have helped me on this jfet project. This has been a very wonderful project and I have learned a lot for my first amp that I have continually modified over the year and a half owning it. :D

PS Choky,

I have more boards than just this prototype. Once I find what I like, I will tri amp my system, but first I have to find what I like first before using my fresh mint boards. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.