New Years Eve in Paris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, La Madeleine monument near la place de l'Etoile : fine food shopps aera around it of course, you can find also caviar shops, eat oysters, buy foie gras and delicate food : Fauchon, Petrossian, etc...

Been there, don't remember any putes but had to laugh at the anti-Da vinci code display aimed at folks coming to see the clues in the church.

I thought we weren't supposed to eat in Paris? :)

I never say you were not supposed to eat but said it's just the most horrible famous town in France to discover the french cooking !

Do you believe eating "brut" product will give you an exact idea of what is the french cooking ! Cooking is the art to mix the goods ! I was talking of the food in the cafés and vast majority of restaurent but the 2 or 3 stars/forks !

A good advice is to go to the Epicerie Fine of the Bon Marché Shop at Sevres Babylone to have fine goods to cook or already made. For instance you may want to buy 50 cl of the best olive oïl of the world : Château Estoublon : just taste it with a little spoon or non cooked on vegetables or bred... Good cuisine is firstly good goods/products !

Most of the restaurents serve already industrial cooked food in restaurent of Paris but the most expensive of rare adress you will never find in books !

I even prefer to eat a sponge at Mac Donald than eating a jambon beurre made nowadays in the cafés ! a Jambon beure can be just fantastic with a very good jambon, a very good baguette.... I assume like a true Pizza and a true Hamburger made in the state of the art... which is more difficult to find in Paris than The X boson !

It's less difficult with noon cooked goods like cheeses : Paris has ones of the best cheeses shops of France !)... but once again many has to be avoided ;) !

Last edited:
No, experienced notions... I'm not sure you to know Paris better than I as I lived here 20 years, met the finest aeras, eated and clubbed a lot in all the scales of the parisians society and still go one day per week here ! It's like if you lived i NYC and I say to you you're wrong about understanding the quality of food in your town : this would be preconcivied and presumptuous.

Or maybe my tastes are higher than yours, it can be possible as well ! Quality is a cultural factor ! Mine is not too strong when talking audio but when talking food it's not the same game anymore ;). I visited a lot Paris with English, americans, japoneese and even chineese people from friends.... we have all a different way to appreciate the food quality and talking about french foods strangers are often wrong ! For Instance, even the finest japoneese girl from Tokyo will not like most of the french patisserie as it has too much sugar and will find good a crap in a bad pattisserie ! In a phenomenologic point of view, It's ok as far the personn is happy of what is eated... does not mean he's is right !

But it's not a competition, Paris has far more better to offer in culture experience than her food ! And most of the time, you will not able to see the difference with some french receips made by industrials for midle game restaurent if you are not a french and already a sota made one by grand ma or a fine cooker or chief : even some french may be wrong here ! I experienced thatr a lot !

I also experienced that in some place : at Tokyo japoneese friends took my hand to try to teach me how to recognize finest "sushi food" : damn they saw differences where I find it was the same but between the worst and a middle one ! Let's call that : Experience :)!

One thing is sure : I never heard someone don't liking to visit Paris...

Last edited:
No, experienced notions... I'm not sure you to know Paris better than I as I lived here 20 yearsand presumptuous.

Please point out where I said that. Offering an alternative opinion as a simple friendly gesture does not warrant agitated rude responses.

Or maybe my tastes are higher than yours, it can be possible as well ! Quality is a cultural factor !

Sorry that needs a DBT (unlikely BTW).

we have all a different way to appreciate the food quality and talking about french foods strangers are often wrong ! For Instance, even the finest japoneese girl from Tokyo will not like most of the french patisserie as it has too much sugar and will find good a crap in a bad pattisserie ! In a phenomenologic point of view, It's ok as far the personn is happy of what is eated... does not mean he's is right !

Have you ever tried what Asians think are sweets, I'm not surprised? Right and wrong in this case is meaningless, in that case forget the finest Charolais beef, 9+ Kobe is all that matters.

But it's not a competition,

You make it one

I also experienced that in some place : at Tokyo japoneese friends took my hand to try to teach me how to recognize finest "sushi food" : damn they saw differences where I find it was the same but between the worst and a middle one ! Let's call that : Experience :)!

I suffer bad sushi surrounded by worshipful sycophants all the time.

One thing is sure : I never heard someone don't liking to visit Paris...

Who implied anything different, you think a short visit should not include a $300/person visit to the Moulin Rouge where you can see Russian mafia with rolls of 500 euro notes (at least that was true 15 yr.ago) that's fine. BTW I disagree with Jacco, Versailles is an homage to pee-pee elegant decadence and the shaging of kings. My wife and I pushed backwards after about 1/3 of the tour just to get out, much to the chagrin of the locals.

On the music scene I was wondering if there were any punk/oi bands aligned with Le Pin like the British pub bands that support the National Front.

Last edited:
Food... Funny thing is while I was staying in Paris, I mostly ate Japanese, Lebanese or Italian when going out. French I can do at home ;) Still I suppose you don't want my Italian addresses in Paris, so...

Just next to the Louvres and the Comedie Française, there's a good place for lunch. It's a wine bar called "Juveniles", rue Richelieu. Mix of French-Italian-Scottish cooking and a very nice wine selection (you can trust their suggestions). Prices are ok considering the neighbourhood and a good vibe all around.

Avoid at all cost most restaurants in the Quartier Latin. Tourist traps most of them. Same thing around Montparnasse.

While the Bon Marché has everything, it comes at a significant markup. I'd push a bit further to the intersection of Rue Lecourbe and Rue Cambronne. Tons of good food shops over there (and all along the way, rue de Sèvres et rue Lecourbe).Not far away, Rue du Commerce, the Café du Commerce is a good representative of a Parisian brasserie. A tad kitsch, but who cares ? The Baba au Rhum there is good, so are their terrines. Don't expect high cuisine but solid good brasserie fare.

Quite a few decents restaurants in the 14th and 15th arrondissements btw, around the 30€ per menu mark (without wine and drinks). A typical example would be the Inattendu, rue Blomet. Quality goes up and down quickly though, check recent reviews.

And just for the fun and experiencing a more popular Paris' spirit, the Tourne Bouchon, Bd Raspail (nearby the Bon Marché), is a weird small brasserie where you can eat for cheap. It's held by a familly and it feels, at least if you can stand the very direct manners of the woman in charge. The chocolate mousse is surprisingly good, in the heavy kind of way. Their wine is let's say average on the other hand.

Ah enfin un gars qui connaît Paris :) , pretty right things you wrote ! Is it not nice the little place at the end of rue du Commerce near The Nicolas, the brasserie Coffe in front of this little Church :) ! A back Packers hostel near it if I remember my kilometers in Paris !

Yes you' re right, near Opera at St Anne street the japoneese food is made by japoneese people at...95%, if you avoid the awfull chineese suchi shops everywhere in Paris...

I don't find too much good italian restaurant ... I've a huge respect for Italian Food ! I will be happy if you know a good one with no pizzas !

@ Jaco : Hey Jaco, you're sure your trip wasnot on LSD between Place d'Italie abd Gare du Nord ? (eight metro stations ;) ) .... hummm Gare du Nord & Gare de L'est have to be avoided at the night... if you are not a local...

Last edited:
@ Scott,

Damned you never had chance during all your trips :), myself I always ask to friends or local friends of mine if having not myself to avoid to loose time and have bad trip because my ego to believe I know all ! I travelled a lot, very Young and bag-pack without knowing a word in English, so the hard way, saw Lonely Planet guides becames seets, etc ! So I become "susceptible" when you write things like you write about a town which I know street by street !

I can understand about what you said, that's why I say before to avoid those Shows like the Moulin Rouge or like as said the other french here (a bad advice he gived)!

That's why I'm a little present on the advices here : the book guides are craps, you falled on the trap of the bad advices yourself !

No agitated answer from me but I just believe your advices were mostly bad and clichés ! Sorry to say that, not against you, but I'm not for politicly correct where I read what you wrote as advices to someone else and after says also rudly about me I had "opinions" on a city I know more than well ! And no sorry Nothing to see myself with National Front and I understood exactly what you meaned with the punk/oïl... even here your behavior is cliché which such inputs, bad understanding of Paris and even France from you!

But again, please don't say you know this town, it's a joke ! I force the french side here as you seems to adore the cliché visions but I would never dared to say I know NYC or Tokyo, HK, what you want without living ten years at minimum in such place or sended a son/daughter in it and believing I can know enough to give a lesson to a local who had the best life of what a parisian can expect....which is not all! Pedantic ? Yes, but I can afford it to had lived it from an orgiac way :D ! (from the worst to the best)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you do go to Pere Lachaise, stop by and see Chopin up on the hill. His headstone says Fred Chopin, which always gave me a chuckle. Moliere and Racine are there, I think, as well as Paganini, Sara Bernhardt, Balzac, Bizet, Oscar Wilde, Melies, Delacroix and many more.

I used to work close by, so often visited those old bones.

You lived in a cool arrondissement !

Look at the grave of Siné, one of the Charlie Hebdo murdered.... french even in death !

sinc.jpg

:) do you see the shape of this cactus/hand.... lol ! But not in Pere Lachaise this one : Montmartre ! And it's not a competition we are all gona die ! Equality dans la connerie !

Last edited:
Eldam: for Italian food, try Croccante, rue de Vaugirard, near the Falguière metro station. It's pretty much a pizza and pasta place but with unusual combinations and top notch products : bottarga, stracciatella di burrata, Sicilian almonds dolci. Their antipasti are overpriced though. It's a very small place, it's best to phone to book a table.

The Forchetta, rue Daguerre, was my go-to trattoria while I was in Paris. But quickly browsing through reviews, it would appear that the quality has taken a big hit. :/

I never go in restaurent to eat Pizza in France but in Marseille or Nice, but will follow your advice and will try ! food is good when the goods have a good pedigree !

Thanks for that :)

Jacco : you had "clochardisé" them ? ;) (transfomed them into clochards)

Hey man, one day we have to go at Adis abbeba in the bars to listen their excellent music !

Btw do you know this french label : Indigo ? http://www.label-bleu.com/francais/artistes-indigo.htm Jump on it : very good ! I bought their ethiopian reccording 25 years ago.... Paris is a cool place to find also music from Africa.... Many from Mali but not only !

Last edited:
@ Scott,

Damned you never had chance during all your trips :)

I enjoyed every minute of it, and I hope Nezblu does too. We all waste a few side trips no matter how well we plan. Go back a ways, a simple suggestion on making it easier to add a few treasures of Western culture is to you a cliche fine, that IS an opinion. It got out of hand, I apologize for anything that offended you.

I still don't get what you mean I did several of the walks you mentioned as well as other things that I wanted to do and others have suggested.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.