New XMOS usb 384khz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your opinion:eek:
I thinks the news is a bit overemphasize, the city area is only a little raining. If the power supply from USB is too poor, isolated USB should make a different. I also notes the very common Pulse transformer in many "192khz" SPDIF equipment is only capable of maximum 7Mbps(i.e. 96khz) according to the pulse official datasheet.

Gigabyte has a series of motherboard with 2x less noise than regular
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yours is usually fun posts to see, DIY in HK. Thermal check is very good to be thorough and adds to the trust of your devices. Did you deal okay with the big storm passing by?

Noticed your CM6631A board is new to be used today. Here's a friendly tip for you I discovered by trying it just for fun and expecting it to not work. Try an ADuM4160 USB isolation board designed for audio purposes with on board clean audio grade power design passing to supply the CM6631A by USB connection. (I am using a DIY Paradise Ultravox ADuM4160 with a linear regulator on board.) Many think it does not work on modern USB conversion chips, typically XMOS it does not. Amazingly works on the CM6631A with expected USB 1.1 limits and makes a remarkable difference on performance. Be sure to remember who tipped you!

I have your XMOS USB convert to S/PDIF device and a similar Weiliang CM6631A converter device. By my experience I find the CM6631A on the AD isolation has much better stereo image performance over the CM6631A and your XMOS devices alone.

If you experience similar performance it will be very interesting to see your analysis and what you see on test equipment.

Thank you for your opinion:eek:
I thinks the news is a bit overemphasize, the city area is only a little raining. If the power supply from USB is too poor, isolated USB should make a different. I also notes the very common Pulse transformer in many "192khz" SPDIF equipment is only capable of maximum 7Mbps(i.e. 96khz) according to the pulse official datasheet.

Gigabyte has a series of motherboard with 2x less noise than regular
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What's gigabyte motherboard ?

A lot of posts in this thread has been over my head, there are certainly some talented people here. I'd like to ask a couple of questions, hopefully sounding at least a bit intelligent. When I say "these board" here, I mean the latest diyinhk 384kHz board, or a close parallel development.

First off, I assume that these boards will sound better than the digital out from a modern motherboard with optical out?

My goal is to build a computer based on one of the ARM boards available now, an A15 based board, or something else, I don't quite know yet. Samsung make nice boards, so do a lot of people. The computers sole purpose would be to serve music using XBMC, no video, and be controlled by DLNA running a controller app. I'd like to save a bit of power when video isn't required, so have a smaller machine alongside the HTPC. That was the original task, but having better sound as well would be a big win. Will these boards be OK with that, using Fedora, or Ubuntu, on the ARM board? What about Android versions of XBMC? I'd be really happy if I could make a 'jukebox' with coverart on a tft on the front panel of the compute/storage box, but one thing at a time, like how to actually build it.

Assuming all that's OK, how would I connect a coax socket to the pins on the current diyinhk board that has a pin-out on it? Is that even possible or am I missing how things work? Will it degrade the sound? Yup, I know I'm displaying my lack of knowledge on this one.

Finally then, would the addition of a heaphone amp on this

Hi Fi 24bit 192K USB DAC Amp CM6631A CS4398 Coaxial RCA Out Headphone Amplifier | eBay

make it worthwhile, and be OK as far as clocking etc? I know it's a CMedia based board, not XMOS, and its eBay entry doesn't offer much info, but thought I'd ask anyway in case someone had seen one before.

And once I can finally get started, dropping my name onto the google spreadsheet seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the ideas already passed on while reading this thread, it's a whole new experience for me, with a hopefully great outcome.

A new version of driver for DXIO is available to download, welcome to test and comment!
xmos215_167.jpg

Last edited:
Hi DIYINHK:

Will the XMOS support DSD stream?

Best Regards
CAAD

The next isolated xmos is planned to include dsd support in the pcb hardware circuit, but all DAC chip AK4399 AD1955 WM8741 PCM1794 ES9018... require different software control to switch to DSD mode, diyer are needed to learn the xmos programming language and do a little software programming to control their DAC (setting the DAC register)thru SDA SCL / SPI

The xmos firmware is open source and full of programming document, I am thinking of a separate device for diyer who need DSD support can programming the PCB themselves if there are enough people have interest:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.