New version of Martin King's MathCad Worksheets is coming soon!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
First, thanks to MJK for answering...
This was about the old worksheets.
I do not want to insist, but
that design can be very easy acomplished
by combining two old worksheets
1. driver backloaded vith cavity and horn system
for the first part of driver-cavity conn.
2. transmition line system (TL sections)
instead of the driver, connect the inputs to the outputs of the first,
driver folowed with cavity...
or
another way
just add the closed end branch to the existing BLH old sheet,
because open end alredy is present by the horn...
if someone can help it would be nice,
I am willing to try it in praxis, but without only the idea, dimensions of the cabinet would be as guessing...
I already made interface to TL sections sheet,
only for the physical dimensions and easyer implementation
now can be inplement for tqwt design...
it can be from help in case 1.
?

As a hopefully easy to implement upgrade, can I suggest an easy to alter stuffing length / position in the line? I know that it's possible to do this in the existing sheets, but the interface isn't the easiest. It'd also allow for simpler and quicker modelling of aperiodic boxes following the method you've outlined, as there seems to be increasing interest in them at present (me too, I hold my hands up! ;-)

Regards
Scott

Scott and Zoran,

All of the things you mention can be done given enough time. But time is the precious resource and the list of planned worksheets is long. So I have to assign priorities and I am trying to order things based on my perception of what will get used the most. There is not enough time to do everything and unfortunately the items that might appeal to one or two specific users end up at the bottom of the list.

On my list for today (while the wife is out this morning at swimming lessons with the girls) :

1. Clean up a couple of items, based on great comments I have recieved about the existing worksheets. Make the plot in the BLH worksheet symmetric so it looks like a horn. Allow the height of the listening position to be user defined.

2. Add a couple of comments to the website pages to include a few excellent suggestions from readers.

3. Set up license files for April, March is behind us.

4. Finish the two Open Baffle worksheets and try to get them uploaded.

5. Add a picture to my gallery, I am two weeks late on that promise. Sorry John Hageman.

6. Look into the next pair of worksheets to be worked on, the bipole and the stand mounted option for closed and ported.

7. Load MathCad 13 on my two computers.

8. Have lunch with the family, deal with the garage working on my car which is sick, hassle my son on his homework, ride my girls on their homework and piano practicing, stay out of wifes way so I don't get hassled on something I was supposed to finish (I forgot what it was because I only looked like I was listening).

9. Encourage wife to go shopping this afternoon for something that she definitely needs (she will be too cheap to buy it anyway) so I can do some more audio work.

10. Think about what I want to do tomorrow .....

If we know what goodies are planned for the next year (we buy apartments like this here), maybe we feel reasonably comfortable for commercial use. But for the DIYers, $25 is already a steal, and is strongly recommeded. I would say the functions provided just for the Box design is more precise than the same functions in Sound Easy. I think Martin also answers questions in a more direct manner which is really good support.

soongsc,

If we know what goodies are planned for the next year (we buy apartments like this here), maybe we feel reasonably comfortable for commercial use.

I can't make any promises or predictions for the future. I think the right way to make a decision is to assess the value of what is available right now and determine if it makes sense to subscribe. View anything beyond that as a bonus. As soon as my daughter finishes her homework on my other PC, I will upload the tweaked worksheets and the two new open baffle worksheets, that is as far into the future as I can go.

But for the DIYers, $25 is already a steal, and is strongly recommeded.

I think that the DIY and the commercial options are both a steal. My goal was to provide the worksheets at a price point where everybody would not hesitate to give them a try. The commercial license cost can be recovered in the first speaker sold. If this does not work, for whatever reason, it will be the end of www.quarter-wave.com.

I would say the functions provided just for the Box design is more precise than the same functions in Sound Easy. I think Martin also answers questions in a more direct manner which is really good support.

Thanks! I appreciate the positive feedback.

MJK said:
Hi Bostjan,

The worksheets available, original and upgraded, will not accurately simulate this type of enclosure design.

I thought about the problem yesterday and concluded that a worksheet to model this type of enclosure is possible. It would require some rearranging and extension of the math but I believe it could be done. Unfortunately, it is not on my list of priorities and can only be classified as something interesting to look at if I ever run out of things to work on (there are a few other enclosures on that list also).

So let me ask a couple of questions :

1. What is special about the performance of this design compared to a classic TL?

2. What performance advantages does it offer?

3. Where is this design used and over what frequency range?

If there is some performance advancement possible with this geometry that would be interesting, if this is just an old design cobbled together by a very creative thinking individual that sounded good compared to state of the art at that point in time then I am not sure this is worth pursuing. Is the Jensen Transflex just another Karlson or Hageman style of exotic, outside the norm, or curiousity enclosure that appeals to a small group of enthusiasts or is it truely a high performance design that has fallen through the cracks?

Hi Martin

Look, I know you have way too much on your plate right now, but I think this is something very worthwhile as a future "to do"...

1. Less ripple, more spl, less stuffing

2. Very low group delay, flatter reponse curve

3. 16hz - 80hz +/- 3db @ 95db with one 12" driver

For measurement details here's Tom Danley's marketing blurp...

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/DTS20.html

While I believe I have DIY "reverse-engineered" Tom Danley's Tower of Power, I would love to be able to model it to be sure before I build the (two) monsters.

Warm regards to all DIYAUDIOers!

Joe

MJK said:
soongsc,

I can't make any promises or predictions for the future. I think the right way to make a decision is to assess the value of what is available right now and determine if it makes sense to subscribe. View anything beyond that as a bonus. As soon as my daughter finishes her homework on my other PC, I will upload the tweaked worksheets and the two new open baffle worksheets, that is as far into the future as I can go.

I think that the DIY and the commercial options are both a steal. My goal was to provide the worksheets at a price point where everybody would not hesitate to give them a try. The commercial license cost can be recovered in the first speaker sold. If this does not work, for whatever reason, it will be the end of www.quarter-wave.com.

Thanks! I appreciate the positive feedback.

I know that it's hard for you, but probably commercial design focus would be different from DIY. For example, DIY might focus on personal requirements and listening evironment, commercial would try to find an optimum for a larger user base. Most commercial operations may not like different tools for multi-way and full range, but DIY might ba able to select the tools on his own preference.

One other thing that might be considered is that probably many DIYers will go commercial at some point of time even if they just do custom design. Here is what I would recommend since your specialty is in the acoustics area.

1. Model interaction between multiple drivers and port, and allow showing of estimated horizontal and vertical polar plots while considering the following two items.
2. Allow importing measured driver response data for various off-set angles.
3. Allow importing of XO design performance data.

What this will do is allow your tool to be powerful in the acoustics area, but allowing results from other tools to flow in. There are quite a few good measurement tools out there already, and there are quite a few good XO design tools available too. If one could use the FRD tools to extract graphical data into numerical data and then import into your tool for integration, I would say you will be a winner.

After that, if you can extract driver motor non-linear performance data into the design factor.

At this point, probably the only trick left that differs the experts from the others is how you select drivers.:D

1. Model interaction between multiple drivers and port, and allow showing of estimated horizontal and vertical polar plots while considering the following two items.

I have worksheets that do this task. At this point in time, the worksheets are set up for designing bass alignments just like most freeware design tools. The upgraded worksheets do allow the interaction between the driver and open end, port, or mouth to be accounted for in the SPL calculation. However, to plot a spatial representation of SPL will require a lot of calculations, as I improve the speed of the calculations maybe this will become possible. Hopefully the worksheets will grow towards this goal over time.

2. Allow importing measured driver response data for various off-set angles.

In my personal versions of the worksheets this is already being done as I compare calculated vs. measured responses. I also have this capability in some of my crossover and BSC design worksheets. The problem is that MathCad Explorer will not allow reading and writing to files so probably 95% of the users cannot use this feature unless they buy a real copy of MathCad. Reading in measured data and then modeling the situation to see what you can learn is great, but if most people cannot use the feature it does not make sense to include it in every worksheet. I have one commercial user who has this reading/writing feature enabled in two worksheets of interest.

3. Allow importing of XO design performance data.

Again, the limitation is on the user end. I could offer this type of worksheet but not many people would be able to take advantage of it. There are many good crossover design tools available and if you are crossing over above 500 Hz the box is probably not that important. It would seem logical to use MathCad to design the box and baffle placement and something else for the crossover.

What this will do is allow your tool to be powerful in the acoustics area, but allowing results from other tools to flow in. There are quite a few good measurement tools out there already, and there are quite a few good XO design tools available too. If one could use the FRD tools to extract graphical data into numerical data and then import into your tool for integration, I would say you will be a winner.

If somebody has a commercial copy of MathCad, can write a specification for the features they want, and is willing to pay for the development this could be done. But almost nobody else in the DIY community could use it and the result would be custom one of a kind worksheets. My goal is to use the nominal annual license fees to fund (justify to myself, wife, and family) continued work on the worksheets growing/upgrading them into something more powerful. I can't supply every feature that each user wants, hopefully I can provide enough value to keep everybody only slightly disgruntled.

After that, if you can extract driver motor non-linear performance data into the design factor.

What would one do with this feature? If you have a good small signal design and if the driver is fairly linear you are good to go for higher power levels. If the driver has a very limited range of linear behavior you probably should select a different driver if you are looking for extreme volume levels. Also for TL types of application, the driver displacement is minimized near the tuning frequency which should help witn controlling nonlinearity. For two channel home audio applications I think this makes sense. For home theater or car audio it probably does not make sense, personally I have no interest in these extreme volume sound effect types of applications.

MJK said:

I have worksheets that do this task. At this point in time, the worksheets are set up for designing bass alignments just like most freeware design tools. The upgraded worksheets do allow the interaction between the driver and open end, port, or mouth to be accounted for in the SPL calculation. However, to plot a spatial representation of SPL will require a lot of calculations, as I improve the speed of the calculations maybe this will become possible. Hopefully the worksheets will grow towards this goal over time.

Sounds great

MJK said:

In my personal versions of the worksheets this is already being done as I compare calculated vs. measured responses. I also have this capability in some of my crossover and BSC design worksheets. The problem is that MathCad Explorer will not allow reading and writing to files so probably 95% of the users cannot use this feature unless they buy a real copy of MathCad. Reading in measured data and then modeling the situation to see what you can learn is great, but if most people cannot use the feature it does not make sense to include it in every worksheet. I have one commercial user who has this reading/writing feature enabled in two worksheets of interest.

Importing of off-axis data would be partly used to estimate off axis and interaction between drivers because normally this cannot be adequately modeled unless you know the shape of driver cone and it's flexible characteristics. Wide range drivers do not operate in a piston mode. Commercial design would need it if they want to get more precise.

MJK said:

Again, the limitation is on the user end. I could offer this type of worksheet but not many people would be able to take advantage of it. There are many good crossover design tools available and if you are crossing over above 500 Hz the box is probably not that important. It would seem logical to use MathCad to design the box and baffle placement and something else for the crossover.

I'm not talking about XO design tools, but just importing the frequency and phase results so that designers can see how the XO and the enclosure design works together.

MJK said:

If somebody has a commercial copy of MathCad, can write a specification for the features they want, and is willing to pay for the development this could be done. But almost nobody else in the DIY community could use it and the result would be custom one of a kind worksheets. My goal is to use the nominal annual license fees to fund (justify to myself, wife, and family) continued work on the worksheets growing/upgrading them into something more powerful. I can't supply every feature that each user wants, hopefully I can provide enough value to keep everybody only slightly disgruntled.

If you are not considering what commercial needs, then why offer two lincenses for the same thing at different prices? I'm sure lots of DIY people will still be designing for other people under a DIY license, and the honest commercial guys just can't get more out of the tools even if they pay more.

MJK said:

What would one do with this feature? If you have a good small signal design and if the driver is fairly linear you are good to go for higher power levels. If the driver has a very limited range of linear behavior you probably should select a different driver if you are looking for extreme volume levels. Also for TL types of application, the driver displacement is minimized near the tuning frequency which should help witn controlling nonlinearity. For two channel home audio applications I think this makes sense. For home theater or car audio it probably does not make sense, personally I have no interest in these extreme volume sound effect types of applications.

Very few drivers are linear. I guess it's just how agressive the designer is that determines what features are necessary.

If you are not considering what commercial needs, then why offer two lincenses for the same thing at different prices? I'm sure lots of DIY people will still be designing for other people under a DIY license, and the honest commercial guys just can't get more out of the tools even if they pay more.

I am offering two licenses based on intended use and not on features. The fees collected are going to be funneled back into my hobby. The two fee system is not inconsistent with what other software people are doing.

A DIYer pays a minimal fee to use the worksheets on his or her own projects. If they design a few systems for their friends or neighbors and sell them for no gain, or a minimal gain, I have no real objections. If they design and post these designs on forums for other posters I have no problem. They are spreading a hobby and in the long run I think it benefits everybody.

A commercial person builds many systems and is making significant income from selling them. If this person cannot afford the nominal commercial fee then they are probably in the wrong business. If this person pays the DIYer fee and thinks they have done the right thing then they are not somebody I want to have any dealings with in the future. From the e-mails I get, and the forums I track, I have a fairly good understanding of who I would consider a commercial user. If commercial users are going to cheat then it will be the end of this arrangement and either the worksheets go away or everybody pays the higher fee. I will post the name and e-mail address of any commercial user paying the DIY fee on my site so people can send a personal greating to the individual. I cannot believe that anybody would be so petty and not behave honestly at this level, if there is some intent to sell systems then I think doing the right thing should not be that painful.

on the fees: why a yearly fee and not (as with other software) a once only fee?

If I were acting like the other software sellers, the up front fee would be significantly higher (see the two other programs mentioned on my site) and then there would be once a year upgrades and associated fee. My method is to charge a low yearly fee and then keep upgrades and changes coming as I develop them, I don't want to sit on improvements until the next year like the other sellers. My hope is that with the low entry fee that many people will sign up to try the worksheets and with updates coming more frequently renew next year and continue renewing. How many years of my system can you get for the price of the competition?

But I am not a marketing guy, just an engineer, so maybe my idea won't work and I will have to switch to a higher fee system.

Just think of the :drink: you could spend it on :D

Hey Martin, perhaps you could ask the snake-oil cable vendors for some marketing tips. I saw one the other day selling for £1499.99UK for a 3m stereo pair that was basically 4 lengths of 18AWG pink cable from the RS cataloge, twisted and connected in a star quad configuartion with a nylon brade over the top. Total cost to build, £30. If they can convince punters to fall for that, they could probably market something that is actually useful (classic understatement) like your sheets whilst asleep.

Regards
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.