New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The boards in stock

I sent out the first lot of boards one week ago. They were stuck some days at the shipping headquarter because the shipping agent needed some more information and actions from me even thought they hadn't requested any. The shipping charges turned out to be different from the ones I first got, and many small details had to be addresed. The chinese way of doing business can be quite complicated.. But now I know how it works, so it should be easier and faster next time.

I have however seen it necessary to adjust the prices further. The domestic part of the shipping charges turns out more than I thought. I also decided I should use registered mail for future shipments.
This affects mostly the price when buying 1 board, as the shipping charges gets lower when sending more than 1 board. New price is 34usd + 16usd shipping. Each additional board 34usd + 5usd shipping.

I have made this site where I've put information on ordering.

TK2050 board

I would appreicate comment here or on PM on other technical information that should be included or changed in the text.
I have also put them on ebay. The price is the same + 3usd each board to cover the ebay charges

here:
TK2050 TP2050 2*100W CLASS-T D TRIPATH T-AMP Board - eBay (item 130397808636 end time Jul-04-10 04:16:41 PDT)

Im planning on using this in my new ghettoblaster-project. How should i solder same kind of RCA-input plugs as in Sure TK2050-board. Like in this picture:
http://www.sure-electronics.net/rf,audio/AA-AB013_3_b.jpg
And does anyone know where can i get RCA-plugs?
This gives 50W into 8ohm and sure-electronics TK2050 promised 60W in their specs are overrated?
How about the signal to noice ratio and input impedance? Are they close to Sure-electrnoics values?
The reason why im comparing it to sures TK2050 board is that i already have one from them and I want it to give close to the same amount of volume.

Im planning on using this in my new ghettoblaster-project. How should i solder same kind of RCA-input plugs as in Sure TK2050-board. Like in this picture:
http://www.sure-electronics.net/rf,audio/AA-AB013_3_b.jpg
And does anyone know where can i get RCA-plugs?
This gives 50W into 8ohm and sure-electronics TK2050 promised 60W in their specs are overrated?
How about the signal to noice ratio and input impedance? Are they close to Sure-electrnoics values?
The reason why im comparing it to sures TK2050 board is that i already have one from them and I want it to give close to the same amount of volume.

input impedance is 50K. signal to noise ratio is not measured. Maybe I can supply RCA soon. Will also try to include a 10MM cable with the connector plug in one end soon. For now just the connector plug is included.

Can it take AC at 30V 10.5A?
no. AC range is 16V - 24V. You can get it up to 26V if you change one resistor, R36.

Hifimediy have made hookup instruction.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nick, (or knowledgable others) - can you ask HIFIMEDIY if this Crystal PGA2311 Volume remote control preamplifier kit on eBay (end time 24-Jun-10 15:59:55 BST) input board is suitable for use with the amplifier?

More generally to use an input board do I just connect the audio output of the input board to the audio input of the amplifier and remove the onboard potentiometer from the amplifier? Or is it more involved than that?

Nice preamp module, it is certainly suitable!

Only I would advise to reflow all the solders once more, the kind of (or rather lack of...) soldering I see on the pics would get me fired in my daily job...

!BpN-F+wBGk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEuWIYS+lGBLqY+zIm2g~~_12.JPG

Thanks Vbro for the quick reply. I'll take your advice and add some solder - I'm up to that.

Can you outline roughly what I'd need to do to connect this up - is it as simple as connecting the output from the pre-amp board to the input of the amp? And do I have to remove or short out the pot that's already on the power amp board?

Nice preamp module, it is certainly suitable!

Only I would advise to reflow all the solders once more, the kind of (or rather lack of...) soldering I see on the pics would get me fired in my daily job...

!BpN-F+wBGk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEuWIYS+lGBLqY+zIm2g~~_12.JPG

LOL at unclear ebay page:
Note:this kit is not completed,you need solder it by yourself.if you want to buy the completed,pay me more 7GBP.

This is the finished board.

Thanks Gal for your thoughts!

I just want to add that the recent discussed board (2*50W) is not supposed to be an upgraded version of the current one. It's another product using one chip to make 2*50W.

There are some discussions and recommended upgrades for the "regular" TK2050 (2*100W) board as well -
So just to make sure :

1) When will the NEW Single Chip (2*50W) version be available? What will be the MAIN added value of it Vs. the "regular" version? Better sound? Cheaper? Smaller?1)

2) When will the UPDATED version of the original TK2050 (2*100W) board is estimated to be out (if at all?!)? What will be the most significant changes (relays? pots? etc...)?

3) Anything else is expected in the near future ?
PSU / DAC / Preamp modules?
I'd love to see what our dear friend Hifimediy surprise us with :cool:

Have fun,
Gal

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Why would you do so ? There are capacitors in the SMPS and there is a big one on the amp PCB. An extra one would not make things significantly better and it would cause extra wiring. There should be good caps in the SMPS. The big filter cap on the amp PCB is of good quality so count that one out and check the SMPS what caps are inside.

I would rather replace the capacitors in the SMPS for types that stay alive/sound good/measure good ( choose what you prefer most ). I don't know the Meanwell type you describe but most SMPS I see are full of bad to mediocre quality electrolytic caps that decide to quit being a capacitor after a year or so ...

Last edited:
There are some discussions and recommended upgrades for the "regular" TK2050 (2*100W) board as well -
So just to make sure :

1) When will the NEW Single Chip (2*50W) version be available? What will be the MAIN added value of it Vs. the "regular" version? Better sound? Cheaper? Smaller?1)

2) When will the UPDATED version of the original TK2050 (2*100W) board is estimated to be out (if at all?!)? What will be the most significant changes (relays? pots? etc...)?

3) Anything else is expected in the near future ?
PSU / DAC / Preamp modules?
I'd love to see what our dear friend Hifimediy surprise us with :cool:

Have fun,
Gal

1) Maybe in one month. Will probably sound a little bit different. Less power. Should be same physical size.

2) No update is planned yet. This board already have the 24V relays.

Thanks Vbro for the quick reply. I'll take your advice and add some solder - I'm up to that.

Can you outline roughly what I'd need to do to connect this up - is it as simple as connecting the output from the pre-amp board to the input of the amp? And do I have to remove or short out the pot that's already on the power amp board?

Connect output from preamp to the input of this board. You don't have to, but it would be best to short the pot on this board. I think thats done easiest by making a short between the input and output on the pot. Any more comment on this?

Single Chip Board for 5.1/7.1

If a single chip version of this board (2*50W) could be easily bridged to create 1*100W, it would be useful for people building 5 or 7 channel surround sound systems (i.e., who need an odd number of channels), or for people who only need a mono subwoofer amplifier. I'd buy one. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.