New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sound?? A power supply shouldn't sound at all... I can make a big line up of all persons who claimed that and lost the bet. A linear PS with high quality low ESR capacitors against a good quality SMPS makes no difference at all. The only criteria for a good quality power supply is a stiff voltage and both ways can achieve this.

48V is possible by the way, with the right chipset. And probably you can adjust the voltage down to an acceptable level. Even more likely there is a lower voltage version from Meanwell...

there are a couple of 320's on ebay but they are more expensive ! so i think i'll just go for the 350 as im trying to keep this build a budget one !

The 320 is a more expensive series, runs at 90khz instead of 25. You can see the spec sheets at TRC Electronics online. Personally I can't hear anywhere near 25khz, like virtually all humans, so who cares?

My T2 and 27 volt S350 sound terrific. Why build a fancy regulated linear supply for these when the inexpensive Meanwells work so well and sound so good?

(Plenty of theoretical arguments when SACD and DVD-A were in vogue about why systems and tweeters should go to 40khz and all that but life is too short! And I am an SACD fan, too.) :rolleyes: :scratch2:

If you know how a switch mode supply works you'll know the benefit of the higher frequency. One advantage is more power from the same size. Another one is higher efficiency....

Why build a fancy linear supply, well to name one good reason, they can easily last 30 years of operating life, with your Meanwell you can count yourself lucky if it makes 10...

opposing

If you know how a switch mode supply works you'll know the benefit of the higher frequency. One advantage is more power from the same size. Another one is higher efficiency....

Why build a fancy linear supply, well to name one good reason, they can easily last 30 years of operating life, with your Meanwell you can count yourself lucky if it makes 10...

What do you think about this? I say 2+2=4.

I buy toroidal transformers as a half done product with only mains wiring done for zilch money, then wind the secondary windings myself with an extra isolated winding for the 5V, sometimes for VN10. You can't beat that price performance ratio with any crappy B-choice Ebay 'Meanwell'

If you get bored of your amp within a year you haven't built a good amp.

And a new TA3020 amp. Looks like Hifimediy's been busy. :rolleyes:
yep, this one was not annouced :rolleyes:

a surprise ? hum.... not really ;) If you search this thread, you'll find a post from Hifimediy some month ago where he says he has a TA3020 board in his lab :)
easter egg :D

edit : i did the search myself.. gee, it was in june 2010. 9 months ago. That's the time it takes :D

Last edited:
Hi,

I received my T2 and Meanwell and I am about to buy wires to hook up the RCA's and Speaker banana's. What gauge wire works best for these, and do you use solid or stranded wires?

Also any links for where to buy? Radio Shack has limited selection.

Thanks!
3/0 works best, but I bet it will end up wire >>> amp size

What sizes can you get?

sowhere between 2.5mm2 and 4mm2 will be more then enough

Here's a copy of the application notes from Tripath about what I meant to say above:

kurYd.jpg

A printed circuit board design program such as Altium designer can predict parasitic properties of your board design for you and simulate the exact effects of the added trace inductance. It'll probably work with the length used in this design, but it is never good.

I also see this design uses the 10+ year old fets and nowadays there are far superior fets available which bring the efficiency near 100%.

Oh well, after the economic crisis who still cares about quality right? Everybody seems so full of lowest priced products and it seems all threads on forums (of supposed enthusiasts) are only on about the cheapest these days and not the best performing designs any more...

P.S. Speaking of off topic replies, perhaps we should have a separate hifimediy TA3020 thread?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.