New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
to Hifimidiy and Nick122147

Just received and powered a 2.1 board.
Sound good, but C24 and C30 are burned.
What is happened?
Is dangerous power on the board?

thanks

Hi,
My 2.0 suffer the same problem this afternoon while listening at low volume. I heard a loud "pop" and see a nice smoke coming from below the PCB. Music was still playing.
C24 has burned and some trace has disappeared as well.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

No short, no modification, power supply set at 30.5V.

I saw the prescription to replace the capacitor with new ones but is there a risk for the TK2050 to be damaged?

Maybe a batch with bad capacitor?

Eric

Hi,
My 2.0 suffer the same problem this afternoon while listening at low volume. I heard a loud "pop" and see a nice smoke coming from below the PCB. Music was still playing.

I saw the prescription to replace the capacitor with new ones but is there a risk for the TK2050 to be damaged?

Eric

Hi, I have got some reports about there is a risk to burn caps on v2(they are C18, C24, C30 and C31 on the bottom side of board), so I suggest change them with new 0.1uF/50V 0805 or 1206 capcitors( type X7R is the best) if a burning happenned. And no damage will happen to other parts as I know. In other hand, I will use new capacitors to lower the risk of this problem.

Last edited:
Selling on Ebay

Selling on ebay is not only fun..
Most buyers are very nice, but some are unreasonable. And as ebay protects buyers alot, it gives me trouble as a seller. I try to be reasonable, and I except buyers to be reasonable also. But of course there will always be some exceptions, some people that have different expectations. These situations cost me alot, as there is not a lot of headroom in the price to cover refunds or reshipping.
I will be increasing the price on ebay because of this threat of crazy buyers demanding unreasonable refunds. I am also narrowing the countries I will ship to from ebay to some european and american countries. People outside these countries can buy from the hifimediy website, which still offers some buyer protection from paypal, but not as extensive as on ebay. I don't like to be pushed around by buyers having unresonable demands of service and causing a lot of extra work for me. The buyer have to do tracking themselves, I don't know how the postal service is organized in every country around the world. The buyer should know where to track a package from the post in their own country.

The price on the website will be lower than the ebay price. I offer the same basic service from both the website and ebay, but I am not so vulnerable to crazy buyers when not selling on ebay.

If there should be a problem with the amp, the buyer has to cover return shipping fee, and I can send a new amp, but only after we have confirmed that there is a problem (buyer sending pictures, explaining exactly how he has connected etc..). I cannot accept that the buyer demands a new amp without sending the old back, or without wanting to troubleshoot with help from me. Often it is the hook up, or some problems of other equipement connected to the amp that causes the problem.

I hope most people will understand this. I will stay on ebay because lots of people find the amp there, but the price will be higher than on the website. I do treat orders from ebay and the website in the same way, but I don't like to have buyers threated me opening disputes.

It's funny the way I started selling these amps (see the beginning of this thread). Distribution these is a good combination to my main work as a musician, but as it grows bigger and I get in touch with a lot of buyers, I have to get more professional, as not all buyers act as friends or fellow DIY'ers.

Thanks,
Steinar
Nice to get the frustation out .. :)

Last edited:
Hi Steinar,

I hope this frustation is not coming from my post and the way problem has been solved. I don't recognized myself in the description you made from the "bad" buyers, but maybe I'm wrong... In the other hand I have purchased directly from Hifimediy, so... no paypal complaint from my side.

Regarding the bad Caps, my wife has managed to bring me the end of cap roll from her job. 100nF, 50V X7R, 1206 format (I know, I'm lucky to have a wife working in a prototyping company!)
I have replaced the four cap indicated as potentially bad, a little varnish has to be removed to allow 1206 components to be soldered as they are a little bit longer than the originals and so far so good, the V2 is singing again!

Thanks for the support, this has allowed me to order a second board in V1 togoether with a second SMPS ;-)))

Eric

Hi,

Eric

Hi, same for me, but the board seems to work ok. I'm not sure wich cap is broken, but there's a missing one and a black trace below the board.

Is it possible to replace it with a 0.1 mf 63v mkt ? Or is it necessary to use SMD ? It seems not easy to solder, though...
I've never used smd components

:confused:

Thanks for helping,

Dany from Belgium

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.