New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Caps

Perhaps this article would be a good read

Capacitor Characteristics
Thanks. But I can't condone the All ( fill in the blank ) sound "The Same" engineering rhetoric because I easily hear differences between just about everything I compare. Neither do I support the pricing of $300 caps so I always look for the best bang for the buck such as the Dayton foil or Obbligato caps.

Heatsink looks quite small. How hot does it get?

No speaker output relays?

Why put a 50v cap on a board that is made for a specified max of 48v? I think you better can go with 63v..

Hi, it works good these days, and this kind of heat-sink can be installed to the case(or something like that) to get better effect.
There is no output relays on the module, but don't worry about the clip-clop noise when power on and off. But I think a external PSU+Protection board will come later.
30~50V DC is OK for this module.

hifimediy

Can I suggest (if it's not the case already) that you pre-drill screw holes, to make it easier to attach in chassis.

:)

:D Correct, there are 8x holes total for M3 screws.
space.php

What are you planning for PSU? SMPS?

Can I suggest that for speaker protection circuit:
- Includes DC protection
- Delay at turn on – maybe 3 seconds minimum
- Instant turn-off – maybe loss of AC detection circuit necessary. No pops from other equipment should get through.
:)

Hi, thanks for you information and warning about lithium batteries.
I have bought a set that comes with a charger, so I think that should be safe. Anyway, will test it and check charging voltage.
Thanks.

I hope somone didn´t make a missunderstood and troubled the things.

As I know Li-Ion batteries are relative safe. The newer generation so called
Li-Po (lymer) batteries could be dangerous regarding the charging issue.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I hope somone didn´t make a missunderstood and troubled the things.

As I know Li-Ion batteries are relative safe. The newer generation so called
Li-Po (lymer) batteries could be dangerous regarding the charging issue.

No no, both Li-Ion and LiPoly are very dangerous when not charged as specified ! They do blow if these cells are not charged within 1% of their specifications. That is why in 99% of the cases a charging + protection circuit is "built in" in the battery. Just look at the battery of your cell phone/GSM.

Do not underestimate the risks when working with separate Li-Ion/LiPoly cells and unknown chargers.... These are absolute not suitable for DIY use when one does not know this stuff and the background. Please don't compare them with the more sturdy (and heavy) foolproof Pb batteries.

Since experiments with this type of cells have often gone wrong I just emphasize the risks in the hope that this knowledge will spread.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
thanks for your hint. This could be depended on an older text where Li-Po akkus
appeared new in research and technnology - and till nowadays Li-Pos are known to be more sensitive regarding thermic and overcharging issues than Li-Ion.

But you are right. Li-Ions are also dangerous when not handled with care and experience. Self experiments to develope custom chargers are strictly not recommended ...

Hi,

Has anybody tried one of Connexelectronics Balanced Input Phase Shifter boards
with these tk2050 modules?

Would it improve sound quality?
I Presume you still would be unable to bridge though as they are already full bridge?

Also as for your new T3 module. I am interested in this board also!
You say that you are thinking of building a linear power supply with speaker protection and anti Pop system. I would only consider using SMPS or batteries so for people like me could you make the speaker protection and anti pop board as a separate item?

Kind Regards

Hi,
Also as for your new T3 module. I am interested in this board also!
You say that you are thinking of building a linear power supply with speaker protection and anti Pop system. I would only consider using SMPS or batteries so for people like me could you make the speaker protection and anti pop board as a separate item?

Kind Regards
Hi, we can unsoder PSU parts and just use other functions on board. Or sometimes tank caps can be used too if like.

Hi,

Has anybody tried one of Connexelectronics Balanced Input Phase Shifter boards
with these tk2050 modules?

Would it improve sound quality?
The B.I.P.S. on tk2050 would be unuseful.
According to Christi (the Connexelectronics owner) the B.I.P.S. is useful on the TA3020 only if used as a subwoofer... (he emailed that to me), so considering the low current absorption of the TK2050 you don't need the BIPS.
Just use a powerful enough power supply.

The B.I.P.S. on tk2050 would be unuseful.
According to Christi (the Connexelectronics owner) the B.I.P.S. is useful on the TA3020 only if used as a subwoofer... (he emailed that to me), so considering the low current absorption of the TK2050 you don't need the BIPS.
Just use a powerful enough power supply.

Right.
And here is the new v2 board we just made.

space.php

space.php

The Hifimediy V1 board with the Alps pot is sounding absolutly sensational here, straight outta the dac , 30.5volts in , i have one V1 powering the mid/hi section of my Von Schweikert VR4.5s, superb sound at any price and for the money its simply unbelievable . its even bettter than the V2 was. and the heatsink on the V1 barely gets warm.and the coils stay cool as.
i now have the V2 board on the bass section (4x Eton 8inch woofers) it has a very good grip on them and goes waay deep down there. The heatsink and coils on this amp do get quite warm esp after an hour or so at higher volumes :) but it does it very well :) still ,i would like to hear the new 300watt T3s on the bass when they do come out ;-)

These amp boards reveal the sonic differances between differnt sources VERY clearly!

Good to see the new tweeked design V2 has the larger coils same as the V1!

great stuff keep it up !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.