New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all i have only ever had one tripath amp and thats the amp 6 basic from 41hz. Its a fantastic amp i thought better than my musical fidelity dr thomas.But a bit lacking in power what i would like to know is the hifimediy t1 amp better than the amp 6 basic or at least as good. Any help would be great

t1 is great.

The hifimediy t1 is for 8ohm loads the t2 is for 4ohm. I have the t2 & it is one of the best for the price out there, in fact i use it quite often and it is a very good sound amplifier (not like crap-sure elec.....s) without mods. The only modification it needs is changing the input capacitors but it is not really necessary . It is capable of 100watt per channel, the amp 6 from 41hz is a very good amp also, but has 25watt per channel, you will need very sensitive speakers (more than 92db) to reach loud levels.
If you have 8ohm load speakers go for the t1, use a meanwell 27volt power supply or one of those hifimediy is selling. You will make a killer amp. ;)

Hi all i have only ever had one tripath amp and thats the amp 6 basic from 41hz. Its a fantastic amp i thought better than my musical fidelity dr thomas.But a bit lacking in power what i would like to know is the hifimediy t1 amp better than the amp 6 basic or at least as good. Any help would be great

Thanks for reply mate i am useing mission m74 thay go fairly loud but the amp starts breaking up after about half way round. Its a brilliant amp the 41hz amp 6 basic but like u said not enough power for my speakers. Was just after some thing more powerfull with the same sound quality the t1 sounds like the one to get then

I just finished assembling T2 STA510 with Nichicon & Mundorf caps to replace old T1 which is broken due to some stupid mod attemps. I run it for about 20 hours to break in. In general the T2 has smoother treble, wider soundstage and seems to be more "relaxed" compared to T1. But T1 IMHO has better bass, but that could change when I replace the Mundorfs with PIO K75 which I like from the T1.
Next experiment would be power it with toroidal trans (Noratel 18vx2 - 160VA, not sure if it's enough).

Last edited:
(Noratel 18vx2 - 160VA, not sure if it's enough).

It would pretty much be enough, I'd say! You get 24VDC from that, which nets you about 70W max into 4 Ohm playing full-power sinewaves. At least the ratio of voltage vs. power is quite good. If you are running lowish-sensitivity speakers, you might want to try higher voltage, but only as an optimization, you don't need to.

T3s for 4 Ohms

Indeed T1, T4 for 8 Ohms and T2 and T3 for 4 Ohms load.
The website of hifimediy is not always clear, especially not when reading the description of the T3s amplifier :)

Description

The T3S is the new stereo version of T3. It has two sta517b output stage chips and are good at driving 4 ohm loads. 8 ohms loads can also be handled, but the T4 amp will produce higher output for 8 ohm loads.

It is similar to the T2 amp except higher powered and that it doesn't have a volume pot.

*300W+300W output @8ohm, 150W+150w @ 4ohm

Please look at The Supplier website on The T1 page for most answers.....

Hifimediy T1 ALPS vol pot TK2050 STA510

"The board can only take DC powersupply, no AC. Accepted DC range is 24V - 39V. We recommend the Connexelectronic 38V (turned down a bit to around 35-36V) to power it"

Only pay attention when ordening the smps not from hifimediy but directly from connexelectronic: you have to order the single supply version.

Maarten

It would pretty much be enough, I'd say! You get 24VDC from that, which nets you about 70W max into 4 Ohm playing full-power sinewaves. At least the ratio of voltage vs. power is quite good. If you are running lowish-sensitivity speakers, you might want to try higher voltage, but only as an optimization, you don't need to.

Hi & thanks.
My only concerns is that my speaker is 8 ohm & 87db which worked very well with T1 with 35v SMPS, so let's see how it turns out with T2 (so far except the quantity of bass, I like T2)

bull041161, i ordered my T2 about a month ago, took 2 to 3 weeks to get here even with the delays at the moment, so not too bad.
running with the connexelectronic 38V turned down to 35V. they are capable of around 10/11 amps, so just make sure you have enough amps with your supply even if voltage is less.
post 1917 might be of some help (T1) power consumption at medium load
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/164274-new-tk2050-board-192.html#post2767161
just google to convert amps/volts/watts if need be

EDIT: which board have you ordered? the low voltage T1-M only shows 24V on ratings, so i'd check with them here or on their forums to see if it can take more.
http://forum.hifimediy.com/
if it's the T1 alps etc, they can take upto around 35/36V, so just to make you aware (no offence if i'm stating the obvious) but having the maximum watts psu means you will have maximum music volume. less voltage/watts and you'll have less output volume. (at least i think that's right, noob myself, just trying to help)

Last edited:
Hi thanks again for help it is the alps T1 board with minimum 24 volts but i cant seem to find a cheaper power supply than the meanwell ones on ebay. If any one could give me a link to a cheaper psu thatwould be great. Allso as any one ordered and used the cheap china post option and how long did it take as i am worried now i have seen it can take up to 60 days

Hi thanks again for help it is the alps T1 board with minimum 24 volts but i cant seem to find a cheaper power supply than the meanwell ones on ebay. If any one could give me a link to a cheaper psu thatwould be great. Allso as any one ordered and used the cheap china post option and how long did it take as i am worried now i have seen it can take up to 60 days
I have 2 of these & they work just fine. --> 24V DC 14.6A 350W Output Regulated AC to DC Switch Switching Power Supply #13 | eBay

When you receive it you can adjust the trimmer on the left side to alter the volt over 24volt a bit. Mine goes to 27. Also you must put a 0.47uf mkp or mkt capacitor connected to (-) and ground. It will reduce distortion of this specific power supply. Slight hum on the background with these power supplies is normal.

Thank you very much for the help i will order one of them then. Cant wait to hear the amp hope its as good as my amp 6 basic from 41hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.