New Speaker Project...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From that thread it sounds like you had all the flexibility you needed. Did some more reading tonight and if active crossovers are half as good as they sound, I would be crazy to even contemplate building passive speakers.
Started this thread asking about drivers but wound up getting the good oil on crossovers instead.:up::up::up:

Rang up today to get some prices on some Rotel multi channel digital amps from a dealer I have bought bits off before, and I got talking to their high end salesman. Some time ago while looking at new surround sound processors I had a fairly substantial listen to some Gryphon Atlantis speakers.

They were hooked up to some humongous valve amps and some top of the line player, the sound was extremely impressive to say the least. Anyway while on the phone the salesman made me a very attractive offer with my Cremona’s as a trade in.

If it was just a speaker upgrade I would be seriously tempted to part with the cash even though I would cop flack from she who must be obeyed for some time, but to step up to speakers of this magnitude means I would have to purchase everything all over again from scratch. Besides I would be right back where I am now paying massively for a very pretty cabinet (not quite but you know what I mean).

Which got me to thinking and I went looking for the specs of the Gryphon’s. The tweeter is made by Accuton and quite possibly some of the other drivers. So I was wondering if I should move away from the ScanSpeak driver and look at the Accuton drivers instead even though they are dearer.

Then I read on this forum that Accuton driver are very sensitive to the equipment upstream and any harshness will be dealt with severely, so that really rules out using them with my Class D amps.

In the same thread I read that Audio Technology drivers were in a similar league but a little more forgiving. I know I am now talking about a different price range but is there an appreciable difference in sound quality to make the swap?

BTW made the decision to go active so that is now fixed into the design.

No hard and fast volume limitations as the better half is reasonably understanding, so I am more working on the premise of building the cabinet to suit the fs rather than building the cabinet to a given size, having said that it would be nice to keep each corner cabinet below 550-600 litres.

Speaker layout I am returning to old train of thought from long ago... of building the subs in triangle shaped cabinets in the corners of the room, where a large volume is not going to be so in your face like it would be with the same size cabinet in the middle of the room.

I bought myself a router the other week, so I could almost make them look furniture like in appearance. What I failed to realise when I first had the idea was the delay problems that would cause with the sound, but the DCN28 I am looking to purchase will solve that issue nicely.

For the corner speakers I would like to limit them to very low sub frequency and use them predominantly for movies, maybe looking at a cut off of 60Hz. For the mains I would like a decent sized three way that did the full spectrum by themselves, but would integrate seamlessly with the subs in the corner for the super low frequencies.

The main problem I find with the Cremona’s is there is just too big of a gap between the 6.5” drivers and the Gravis sub, it like it’s all of nothing and there isn’t enough flexibility in the sub crossover to tune the thumpiness out to make it musical. So I want to continue along the same lines of 3 + 1 but in a more integrated way.

Driver size... well I was looking at the Flexunits 12 D 77 25 10 KAP or Flexunits 15 E 102 25 10 for the corners, and something in the 8”- 12” for the woofer, something around the 4” – 6” for the mid and a tweeter.

Can’t say I have ever heard a ribbon speaker to know if I would like it, but perhaps if I explain my sonic preferences you might be able to guide me in the right direction. Just thinking think how to explain it...I like well detailed, I like to be able to hear any subtle sound there is to be heard. I like it to sound very natural i.e. if a key on the piano is pressed I want to be able to tell what brand of piano they are playing, not just a generic piano key sound.

The sound needs to be a close as possible to the original sound that if I close my eyes I can imagine it being in the same room.

I probably have similar tastes across the other frequency but would accept a little more colour in the mid range. Sub must be tight and extremely well controlled, I positively cannot stand muddy base.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.