• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NEW Silonex LDRs for Lightspeed Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
got a website now
Build An Amp
You can buy LDRs matched for your own Lightspeed or you can buy boards and try my new LDR attenuator. Thinking of calling it "A Lighter Note."
Advantages? Yes, CCS feeds LDRs. Impedance is adjustable to your liking. The fast increase in volume that I found with the Lightspeed is not present or can be massively tamed, max volume can be set so it can not be turned up 'to loud.'
Its a new project and who doesnt like that? Boards are red with gold immersion :)
Uriah

I think I know what happened. You read the title, not the paragraph and had no way of knowing that I was selling all the parts to populate the board to save shipping for folks who would otherwise have to buy from a minimum of two other sources. You assumed that I was actually selling the information of what to populate the board with.... I am selling The Bill of Materials. The parts. The caps, resistors, regulators, current sources, opamps, diodes, terminal blocks. That sort of stuff.

Nic,
You are right. Thats a much better title. I still need to use LDR Controller Board in the title but I think you steer me in the right direction. I used the title I did because it was short and I couldnt think of a way to say it otherwise that would not be long. If you read most of my posts you will see brevity is not my strong point. You, however, have a good point. It will be done!
Uriah

Lighter Note lives

Thanks to Uriah I have a new pre amp to play with. I just completed it this am. Listened to it for a couple of songs before I had to go to work. It sounds very good, open with good tight bass. Its just on a board to work out the layout. I am using it with a TPA Buffalo24 and a Jolida sj-502 that I removed the passive volume control, balance, and input switching. I need to understand how to optimise the impedence for both. I think the amp is high (45K) but dont know about the dac. I would like to make a wireless remote for the volume only. I ordered relays last week so I'll see if I can make those work to switch 3 inputs. I dont need that to switch on a remote. Cant wait to get home and really listen to it tonight. Thanks again Uriah for the well made kit.

Thanks so much for your post. :)
If you have suggestions for how I can improve the instructions I posted online please email me. I know some have found them confusing and I dont want that to be the case. I think I talk to much sometimes when I am explaining.
Anyway! I am really happy that you like it. So you have a 45k amp? I do to. 47k. I like a 6k setting on my Lighter Note with my <50R output source. A dual gang 1k pot will give you somewhere around this. But sometimes listening is better than tinkering.
Uriah

Lighter Note is very heavy!

Listening to The Beastie Boys -The Mix Up. WoW. Super big bass, scary quiet backround. Imaging is very cool with the SDA polks. Just what the TPA dac needed. This pre is so very calm and detailed. As far as the insructions go, I was confused that the M and B ldr board was at the end. Not clear if setting the hi (95R) on both the series and shunt was the best to do but thats what I did. I must say I dont understand this impedence thing well. But this sounds good! Bettye LaVette-The Scene of the Crime next. Thanks Uriah.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Man, I got to compare my Aunt Corey against Uriah's LDR attenuator (pre - Lighter Note) at his place in Houston. We both enjoyed the warmth of my Aunt Corey, but Uriah's attenuator really shined in the mids and the highs compared to old Aunt Corey. So Uriah calls me later and he starts telling me what he is cooking up. After he built the Lighter Note proto, he tells me that it smokes his previous version. So bikerboy, thanks for giving your impressions. I think it is almost time to send Aunt Corey to the retirement home! :)

Biker,
Try using the Shunt LDR Controller Board to dial down the shunt resistance to 40-50R. P3 will help with that. So just put your DMM across output and ground. Then dial P3 until you get something in that range. Do this without the RCA cables connected. This will allow the minimum volume to be lower. Dont worry about series, you probably will never turn it up to 95R or lower on series anyway.
Uriah

Biker,
If you can not dial down lower than 95 then short out the 68R resistors on the M and B board with the volume pot at midway. Then as you dial down the volume pot the shunt resistance will begin to drop. When it gets down to 40 then use P3 and dial it up to 80 or something like that and continue to dial down the volume til you get to 40 then use P3 to dial it back to 80, etc....
Once you get to min volume you can safely use P3 to dial in exactly the minimum resistance you want, but no lower than 40R please. Why do we do it in this complicated way? Because without 68R in place the LDRs are in danger of getting to much current and frying. With a DMM and this procedure we can always make sure we dont let them get in danger.
Uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.