• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

NEW Silonex LDRs for Lightspeed Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Uriah:

What's the range of attenuation for the Lightspeed Attenuator?

Thank you,
Scott

Hi Scott,
The range is large and just depends on the characteristics of those 4 LDRs that it takes to make two stereo pots. I have ordered another 500 LDRs and first testing tells me they will find themselves from 5k-15k on average. The 5k LDRs could be used with a 200k pot and end up being quite a bit higher, like into the 15-20k range. I have not figured out all 4 match points yet and need to read over a lot of data to determine that. The first round of matching helps a lot but does not set the other 3. The 2nd round usually sets the next 2 rounds of matching. So I can guarantee 5-15k and that is usually the range anyway.
Uriah

Matching is taking a lot longer than I thought. I dont see it taking more than 3 weeks from now to ship them though.
I had a problem that was unforeseen and requires at least double the nights at the kitchen table testing.
Some are coming in for 100k and some are coming in for 200k or 250k. The 200k vs 250k is yet to be seen but now I have to test at many more than just the normal number of positions because the ones that need 100k to control them need to be tested at several different resistances than the ones that are going to need 200k or 250k. Its never happened before where one batch goes to several different control pots. Its always been 100k or 500k but never more than one at once.
I apologize guys and next time I will do the matching THEN announce that they are ready for purchase.
I am working on something special so if it gets done in time and doesnt cost me to much you should all see a little present in your box.
Sincerely
Uriah

Looking forward to getting my set.

I have made a couple of Lightspeeds for practice with un-matched LDRs. I don't have much channel imbalance, although I have noticed when I turn it on the next day the image has shifted slightly and the trimmers need a bit of a tweak. Is this the real problem with un-matched LDRs?

Does someone care to comment on the offering below from SKA Audio?

SKA Audio OptiVol

It would appear that this is a complete kit (including PCB) for $40AUS....or about $34US (including postage).

Am I missing something or is this phenomenal value when compared to buying the LDRs and the others bits you need as well as cobbling together a PCB from protoboard?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.