New Seas website

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
obiwan,
About your first question, see my answer to John above.

The DXT tweeter is very different from the Crescendo. It's a metal dome tweeter with a radiation pattern that is quite different because of the different shape of the chassis. The Crescendo tweeter has a Hexadym magnetsystem, while the DXT tweeter has a traditional ferrite magnetsystem. The way you approach the crossover will also be different when the frequency responses are so different.

In the end, it's how well the tweeter is integrated in the system that really matters.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tinitus said:
I also remember the time when Fostex drivers were delivered with all mounting materials ;)

They still come with gaskets & screws.

The site is pretty good...decidedly a step up on the last one... a bit of constructive critism

The same big graphic at the top of every page and the significant download time (it is reloading every time) is annoying thou... it really only serves a purpose on the main page... on secondary pages it would be better to have relevent information (ie product pictures or related)

dave

kramster,
We will put out some box recommendations for our woofers on the web page soon. In the case of the W26FX001, the parameters indicate the need for a very big box to have a flat response. To achieve a QB3 target response you need a 87 liter box with a Helmholtz resonance at 22 Hz (port dia: 7cm - port lenght: 20.5cm).

Personally, I don't mind if the response is not totally flat at that low frequencies, so we have used the W26FX001 in a 60 liter box with a Helmholtz resonance at 25 Hz (port dia: 7cm - port lenght: 24cm). The sound is still very good. Deep, rich bass with the precision you would expect from an Excel driver.

Mor den Siur,
The L18RNX/P is on our page now.

planet10,
Thanks for your comment. I'll bring that along when we go through the feedback we get after some time with the new design. It's of course possible to remove the images on the top of the page, but the idea was to use pictures as a way to improve the visual impression of the site. If you just find it annoying we have obviously not succeded... :whazzat:

Ergo,
I have put the raw driver response files for the Bifrost at the very last line on that page. It's a zip file with the txt files included. I did not have a combined response, but the measurements are done on the tweeter axis, and there is no need to adjust the z-axis. It's all in the phase data.

Bjorn
R&D
Seas

PeteMcK,
Yes, maybe a comparison table would be a good idea.

grantnsw,
Those two tweeters are very similar. The 27TFFC is what we call a one-piece design. The dome and surround is formed from one piece of fabric. The advantage with this is that we avoid one glue joint, and the moving mass is a bit lower than in the 27TDFC. So the 27TFFC has marginally higher sensitivity.

The 27TDFC has a polymer surround that is glued to the fabric dome. This kind of surround has shown itself to sound better at lower frequencies, so if you need a low crossover frequency this would be an advantage.

Which is superior? I don't know. Depends on your application, I guess.

Bjorn
R&D
Seas

Anders,
For woofers with low-loss suspension, the majority of the mechanical losses are caused by the conductive voice coil formers that we use. The voice coil is wound on an aluminum former. We think that the advantages with using aluminum are greater than the disadvantages related to the current induced in the former.

We do make versions of our drivers with non-conductive formers for some OEM customers, though.

tktran,
We don't have any plans for such drivers at the moment.

Bjorn
R&D
Seas

Hi Bjorn,

Thank you for the SPL and IMP files for Bifrost project - most interesting.

I tried to instert these to LspCad and I do get a good agreement compared to published data. I used estimated quess for ri of the inductors.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Though I was surprised when you said that no offset needs to be used for mid. In my experience even if woofer is measured at tweeter axis some fine tuning of the woofer Z axis is still needed.

So I tried to invert the tweeter.....

With woofer Z=0 it looks like this

If woofer Z=-12 then exact correlation with measured response is found, so I quess for LspCad at least some Z axis offset is needed ;)

Thank you again.

Regards,
Ergo

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bidland said:
planet10,
Thanks for your comment. I'll bring that along when we go through the feedback we get after some time with the new design. It's of course possible to remove the images on the top of the page, but the idea was to use pictures as a way to improve the visual impression of the site. If you just find it annoying we have obviously not succeded... :whazzat:

I think that there should remain a picture, but it should take less real-estate (on my laptop it is taking up a 1/3 of the screen real-estate) and should be relevant to the page, not the same picture as on the main page.

dave

planet10 said:

I think that there should remain a picture, but it should take less real-estate (on my laptop it is taking up a 1/3 of the screen real-estate) and should be relevant to the page, not the same picture as on the main page.

dave

I think the biggest pain is a page where you have to scroll down
just because of the picture, the information would normally fit, e.g.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_gmaps&task=viewmap&Itemid=37&mapId=3

:)/sreten.

Ergo,
You might be right on the Z-axis issue. Anyway, we use LspCAD just to get an idea of what to do, and then we build and measure the crossover with actual components.

Fosti,
I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with the "waveguide" loading of the dome. I'll ask our tweeter expert.

sreten,
I agree. Is it better now?

Bjorn,
interesting project. I hope you someday will actually try it! The W26FX001 is a really nice woofer.

OK. what I hate about most manufacturers web sites is that you have to jump through multiple hoops to look at a bunch of drivers one by one with only the name or model number to distinguish them. Ant then they separate them into different "series" with no indication of what parameters determine what series they are in. This makes for a lot of time jumping around to view everything and then as often as not finding that none of the drivers are suitable for your application.

So here is a suggestion either group the drivers according to application (i.e. sealed, ported, OB) or better yet have a chart on the main product page showing the basic parameters of each driver (Vas, Qts, fs, sensitivity, size). That way the potential customer can see at a glance which drivers are worth looking at in more detail.

Thanks for listening.

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.