New Seas website

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

We have redesigned our website, and I hope also the DIY community will find it informative and easy to use. Browse in the products on the menus on the left side or search in the upper right corner. In the About Seas section you will find info on our history, our lab and some background information on the people working here.

You can find product information on our new tweeter with the DXT waveguide technology, and also two new DIY speaker designs.

We will continue to improve the site with downloadable SPL and IMP as txt files for use in simulation software, and also box volume suggestions and distortion measurements of the the drivers.

Go to http://www.seas.no/ and check it out.

Bjorn Magne Idland
R&D
Seas

bidland said:
We will continue to improve the site with downloadable SPL and IMP as txt files for use in simulation software, and also box volume suggestions and distortion measurements of the the drivers.

if you realy will, what else can DIYer hope for? :)

also few suggestions: You can sell separately tweeter magnets, magnets with chambers and/or with FF as well as you sell voice coils. Also that grey small waveguid that goes with 29 TW series should go with new voice coil or should be sold separately. It would help us DIYers to build tweeter that fits our demanads at best.

Taco,
If you know the product name, the quickest way to find it is to use the search field in the upper right corner.

The Exotic fullrange driver do have an AlNiCo magnet, yes. The idea is to present an alternative to those interested in that kind of drivers that combines the best from the past, with some new features. You will find more information and measurements on our website when the product is ready for production.

kyselym,
I'm sure you and many DIY'ers would love to have that possibility to combine the parts in every way imaginable. For us, as a speaker manufacturer, the difficult thing would be to handle the logistics, packaging, and at the same time keeping it profitable. Selling parts that is not assembled would also take away some of the quality control. It can happen that a tweeter chassis (with the moving parts) sounds OK with one magnet system, but not the next. Working with narrow tolerances is part of every day life when you make tweeters.

Hi John,

We will have to see if this concept is appealing to our customers, including you DIY'ers, before we can plan any new products.

But we have seen a great deal of interest already, so I would not say that it's unthinkable to make a larger version - someday. :)

Bjorn

Just for reference, here is the big one I saw next to the little one in a CES picture:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(as seen in the Ultimate AV CES 2007 report)

Of course the benefit of a larger model would be directivity lower in frequency, but the measurements of the current model shown on the Seas website do indeed look good, with a nicer looking top end than some of the hacked up DIY versions we've been coming up with.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Zaph said:
Of course the benefit of a larger model would be directivity lower in frequency, but the measurements of the current model shown on the Seas website do indeed look good, with a nicer looking top end than some of the hacked up DIY versions we've been coming up with.

John what did you expect? Of course Seas do it better. They're not hacks like the rest of us! :D

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Its not to be negative, but I wonder why it took so long to get rit of all those screws
I mean, these days you praise an artisan fore doing his job properly, just because you are used to scamped work

Also i think its due time that expencive quality mids and woofers should be delivered with a press fit ring to cover the chassis and screws ... I also remember the time when Fostex drivers were delivered with all mounting materials ;)

The new webiste looks great and works well with Opera also ;).
The news about plans to post frd and zma files is especially exiting. I'm sure many DIY-ers will find it a real asset compared to other competing driver manufacturers.

Would it be possible to start the nice trend with the Seas Bifrost kit project. The frd and zma files + either the Z axis offset or drivers parallel connected frequency response would be most useful. I have almost same set of drivers I have been working with. I just have a notch lesser tweeter, meaning the T29CF001. It would be very interesting to compare the measured responses I have done to Seas's ones. My box is also pretty similar...

Regards,
Ergo

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

tinitus,
Good point!

Bigland,
Will we ever see big woofers from SEAS again?
I can still remember the good old 33F series, like this one.
Somewhere on your site I saw that you presented klippel measurements for one driver, are klippel measurement results going to be available in public for your drivers?

The new website looks good - same goes for the DXT-tweeter. I just ordered a pair for use with my L15 mid(woofer). Reason for buying: Want to have an even and coherent midrange, and I believe that the waveguide will help by offering a controlled off-axis response in a normal livingroom.

I would appreciate comments and thoughts about application, benefits and drawbacks compared to ordinary tweeters.

Best regards
Johan

tinitus/4fun,
I don't think we will resurrect the 33cm woofer any time soon. We have left that behind us, and drivers of that size does simply not fit in our production line the way it is now. They did sound good, though, and I have seen a picture from a Danish university where they did some research in low-frequency audibility. They had a room that was completely sealed and the walls were covered with between 40 and 50 of our 33cm woofers. I would volunteer for any experiments in there :)

ShinObiwan,
Hacking is good! We try to make our drivers as good as possible, but you DIY'ers should definately continue to explore and modify.

Ergo,
I can easily make the SPL & IMP files for the Bifrost kit available during the next week.

taj,
I'm not involved in the sales of our products, so I have no good answer to that. I do know that Madisound is doing a great job as our main distributor in the US, though.

Rojoh,
I think you are on the right track. I'm thinking about mating the DXT tweeter to a 22cm woofer, maybe the CA22RNY. I think that we could have a uniform off-axis response and a 2-way that could really provide some serious low frequency output.

Bjorn

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

bidland,
Sorry to hear that there will be no "big woofers" but I guess that's understandable.

No comment about availability of klippel measurements for your drivers?

I forgot to mention that your new site looks great.
At last, I did misspell your name, sorry for that.

Thanks for the notice, Mor. I'll put it up on Monday. I must have been totally blind....
But when I go into programming mode and repeat this procedure time after time, something must eventually go wrong. If you see anything else, please let me know.

4fun,
We will eventually also show Klippel measurements for the woofers. How useful it really is now, I don't know. But it will maybe raise the awareness about the non-linearity in loudspeakers and hopefully make people less tied up to the small signal modelling. Driver selection based on T/S parameters alone makes little sense, IMHO. Too often good drivers are rejected because they don't fit to the QB3 target in a certain box.

Maybe if Peter Larsen could make it possible to import the non-linear parameters from a Klippel measurement, speaker designers would have the tools to make use of it.

http://loudsoft.com/default.asp?site=FINEBox.asp

Or maybe we would just have more headaches...
:cannotbe: :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.