NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I tested my some what crude and tentative set up. The part list so far is:

Light - osram 250W
LCD -super 10 inch
Lens - 320 mm single from a defunct OHD
fresnel-1 - 220 mm from OHD
fresnel 2 - 360 mm from OHD
( these two are obtained by splitting the joined OHD fresnel)
8mm acrilic glass as heat shield.
Plywood box of 60 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm.

The light is fixed as hanging form ceiling of the box.

The light and center of lens, LCD and fresnels on a line.
No reflector so far.
I intended to use the 220 mm fresnel before the LCD and the 360 mm after LCD towards the lens. But in this set up, I could not focus properly. So I removed the fresnels and used the 220 mm after LCD with a gap of about 5-6 cm. This give me a more clearer and focused picture. Am I missing some thing?

I projected the image at a distance of 6 ft. The colour and clarity was good. But some more light is required for regular viewing. I think this can be achieved using a reflector. What is the best kind of reflector ?

Now the light is hanging from the top. Any better if it is kept horizontal or in a vertical position with respect to the LCD ?

hai friends
It was a long 3 month journey to produce this image in DIY projector.
Its 100% worth for our money.
image projected on a wall and is 6.5' wide and the wall is 10% violet 90% white colour.dont know to adjust camera ,but really best when seen in the wall.
In second image ,u can see my son standing on bed.

Attachments

• DSCN0418.jpg
    DSCN0418.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN0421.jpg
    DSCN0421.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN0428.jpg
    DSCN0428.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0430.jpg
    DSCN0430.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Thanks to every person who made me success by offering vast knowledge.

many many congrats srini for your work.you will definitly get better results if you project upon blackout cloth.cheap option compared to costly screens.
your lcd is benq G610 hdal 1366x 768,RIGHT?

will work out with blackout cloth in this weekend. i striped my old samsung monitor ,i dont have benq g610 ( but benq was used by some other person in lumenlab with good success,I recommended this because u can still get this monitor in online naaptol)

"FUN"tastic srini. what about some photos of your enclosure

Thats gr8 success. Congrats. :) can you post the pics of your DIY projector too :)

Sure , will post it ,still screws not fixed properly.

The images lacks sharpness. Is it due to the camera or you have to adjust / focus the lens properly ?
i projected image to a patty wall with 10% violet colour. camera may be the reason ,But in real it is clear and sharp (no need to remove anti glare and risk ur monitor.

With this setup u can get bright,sharper image from 9-10' placement only. But please go with a pro lens of long throw so u can have no obstruction in comfortable viewing of screen.(but do this upgrade later bcos long throw lens is costlier than normal triplet)

Last edited:
Not pretty neat box,so huge size 34" L x 18" W x 16" h. still not screwed the triplet and top cover.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

unsplit design
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

front view

following pics 6 1/2' wide ,projected from 8'

following is 10' wide ,projected from 12'

In this last picture u can see blue wall towards left of the persons shoulder.

all pic's were projected on sky blue colour wall,only center 6' x 6' banner vinyl sheet with lots of fold marks.

persons using 15" monitor ,best to go for long throw triplet (pro lens 550mm fl ).u can get a bright,corner to corner clarity and projector will be backside of our seating.

with regards
srinivasan.s

nice pics srini.specially the green and blue color from pirates movie.also you are running 2.35:1 movie formats,and getting a even brightness thruout.great job man.
srini can you pls tell me in detail your reflector and condenser mounting details.
what i can see from your pic, you kept reflector and condenser upon fan grills,and secured the grills by long bolts,but how you fixed condenser and reflector upon those grills?
by super glue?
is glue safe at that much heat?
if you have not packed the box yet, a close shot of the mountings will be very helpful.thanks man.

nice pics srini.specially the green and blue color from pirates movie.also you are running 2.35:1 movie formats,and getting a even brightness thruout.great job man.
srini can you pls tell me in detail your reflector and condenser mounting details.
what i can see from your pic, you kept reflector and condenser upon fan grills,and secured the grills by long bolts,but how you fixed condenser and reflector upon those grills?
by super glue?
is glue safe at that much heat?
if you have not packed the box yet, a close shot of the mountings will be very helpful.thanks man.

for every different movie clips taken,i had to adjust contrast,saturation and brightness to suit good watching.

2.35:1 is best to get brightness ,will make a screen for this format with blackout cloth or laminate.

reflector and condenser lens each are sandwiched inbetween two grills .bolt tight is enafe to hold them no glueing.will show you close up shots tomorow.
and i have run the projector 1 1/2 hrs continuosly with two exhaust and 1 intake fan,no signs of heat due to only 250w bulb.But very disappointing thing is fan noise.all fns are AC driven.
Will there be no noise in DC fans.

Last edited:
hai prosenjitnptian
here is close up of lamp assembly

this is back side of box i have screwed the assembly set directly to box.

hi srini checked the condenser and reflector assebmly pics,many many thanks dear.
srini u suggested to use 500mm triplet.you are using this 500mm long throw triplet?

one question srini,for 15.6 inch lcd,330mm collector fresnel and unsplit design,if a 327mm triplet is used,actual triplet placement from lcd is around 360mm.so the collector fresnel to triplet distance becomes=380mm roughly,but since the collector fresnel FL is only 330,the light cone will completly converge and start diverging before entering the triplet tunnel.but we have to pin point the light cone just inside the triplet.I cannot understand this part.can you help understanding this theory part.

btw I was checking optics allied site,they make hot mirrors(IR filetrs upto 300mmX300mm),u can check them or local glass,mirror shops.hot mirrors are very useful if you place them as heat shield.,U wont have to worry about lcd temparature.

@god the reflectors srini using from opto is cold mirrors(pass all IR and reflect our neccesary light :)).I am planning to buy the same.very useful and cheap.

Last edited:
yes of course they are meant to to that job.about their chemical property I do not know detail.just google it.and it is not normal glass.special application glasses.and temp withstanding specs are mentioned in them.example borosilicate 350 deg c.just example not exactly.about hot mirrors used in diy pj,I do not know much as it is costly and not easily available(avialable in opto btw,heat shield).but this cold mirror reflector is being used by max persons.so u can trust it.and above all its better to damage them rather than lcd.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.