NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY projector

Hi PCADDICT,

I had recently joined the forum and I came to know u r from chennai.
How about your projector project?
Did u get the desired result?

I am also from Chennai, Mogappair.
If u permit i will come & meet u to get some tech. guidance.
Can i get ur contact no.
my contact mail sskctx@gmail.com

regards

sskctx

Hi,
I am frm chennai.

I got cheated for 7" LCD TV for 5K here in Chennai.

Where did you get the 8"car mount LCD (for 3.5K).

can you give me the specifications????

I am going to strip it off tomorrow....GOD only knows what is going to happen for my 7" TV.

k...

hey guys,

i am back as you people know that i have already made a projector but i am not satisfy with my projector because lot of consuption of electricity last month my electricity bill is about Rs.12000/- i am using osram MH 400watt. but now in this forum some of people are talking about LED. I want know about LED BULB every thing. any one in this forum help me ?

Last edited:
@ aramosfet:

Did you start with your PJ?

How is the quality of Fresnels you ordered from LENSEL?

If your PJ is ready..why don't you try with CFL?(Sorry if we can't)

I got one triplet today from optics and allied(whitefield). still searching for a LCD 15'. Which LCD you are using?

@ Anyone else in this forum, Please help me with the light source as LED.If any one got satisfying results with LED/CFL as light sourceplease share.

@ aramosfet:

Did you start with your PJ?

How is the quality of Fresnels you ordered from LENSEL?

If your PJ is ready..why don't you try with CFL?(Sorry if we can't)

I got one triplet today from optics and allied(whitefield). still searching for a LCD 15'. Which LCD you are using?

@ Anyone else in this forum, Please help me with the light source as LED.If any one got satisfying results with LED/CFL as light sourceplease share.

I'm yet to start building the box. I'm planning to start this weekend. I have all the part required except the triplet. I'm using a 17" samsung lcd donated by my cousin. can you give details about the triplet u got from optics allied? how much did u pay?

The fresnels from lensel is good. but will get a better idea when i use them with the lcd panel.

I'm yet to start building the box. I'm planning to start this weekend. I have all the part required except the triplet. I'm using a 17" samsung lcd donated by my cousin. can you give details about the triplet u got from optics allied? how much did u pay?

The fresnels from lensel is good. but will get a better idea when i use them with the lcd panel.

I paid 1600 for the triplet after having a negotiation over the base price of 1800..Hurry up till stock ends... I know it is a bit high..The reason for buying from them is: Universal Optics(Uttarakhand) charges 3500,Lensel don't manufacture those.They stock triplet with focal length 317mm only.They manufacture it for OHP.

I am yet to buy the Fresnels lenses ( any reference in bangalore other than Optics and Allied?????).Lensel said they will take atleast 15 days for it.
How about the box design? Do you have any compact design in mind?I have collected some designs(without reflecting mirror)

Are you done with stripping off of the LCD?

I have PM you my cell number...If possible call me to discuss.

I paid 1600 for the triplet after having a negotiation over the base price of 1800..Hurry up till stock ends... I know it is a bit high..The reason for buying from them is: Universal Optics(Uttarakhand) charges 3500,Lensel don't manufacture those.They stock triplet with focal length 317mm only.They manufacture it for OHP.

I am yet to buy the Fresnels lenses ( any reference in bangalore other than Optics and Allied?????).Lensel said they will take atleast 15 days for it.
How about the box design? Do you have any compact design in mind?I have collected some designs(without reflecting mirror)

Are you done with stripping off of the LCD?

I have PM you my cell number...If possible call me to discuss.

I'm still unsure about the box design... i'm thinking of a wooden frame then use either sheet metal or plywood for the side. i'm not very good at carpentry. I haven't decided whether to get it done from a carpenter or do it myself. yes i've stripped the lcd. and kept it aside until the final box is complete.
not sure where else we can find fresnels in bangalore. but i'm planning to get them from 3Dlens later since the lcd i have is bigger than the fresnel that we can get in india. Which lamp have to got? can you share the box designs your looking at?
I'll call you some time this weekend?

why hurry for the triplets? do they have only limited stocks? BTW lensel sent me a mail last week asking me if i wanted triplet. apparently they're doing a batch of triplets in a few weeks. they quoted a price of Rs1850/- + tax and shipping.

I'm still unsure about the box design... i'm thinking of a wooden frame then use either sheet metal or plywood for the side. i'm not very good at carpentry. I haven't decided whether to get it done from a carpenter or do it myself. yes i've stripped the lcd. and kept it aside until the final box is complete.
not sure where else we can find fresnels in bangalore. but i'm planning to get them from 3Dlens later since the lcd i have is bigger than the fresnel that we can get in india. Which lamp have to got? can you share the box designs your looking at?
I'll call you some time this weekend?

why hurry for the triplets? do they have only limited stocks? BTW lensel sent me a mail last week asking me if i wanted triplet. apparently they're doing a batch of triplets in a few weeks. they quoted a price of Rs1850/- + tax and shipping.

Even when I asked Lensel about the triplets they told that they have stopped its production..but for an order of 50 or more triplets,they can run a batch.I donot suggest waiting for them and getting it at a higher price(1850+12.5% tax+ 250 shipping).toomuch..better you go to Optics and allied and get one.Yes, Lingaraju(Mkting mgr) of optics and allied told me that they have limited stocks.in fact, at optics and allied,you can order for your fresnel(it might cost you a bit...but no harm discussing it with him).Ordering from 3dlens is a risk as the items you are ordering are fragile..can even crack due to improper handling..even if those are insured, you have to wait for some more time(again customs hassles).

Regarding box design, I am planning to approach a carpenter as our design won't be flashy and presentable to others.besides, they will have all the tools.Can't we both together first approach a carpenter, discuss with him about the design, get one PJ box done??? and depending one the flaws in that box, we can design the second one....If you donot have the materials ready, I invite you to join me.

I havn't bought any bulb till now as I wanted to reduce the power consuption as much as possible...may be in between if we get some good news about LED as light source or may be someother energy efficient light source, i can go for it...otherwise i am planning to use a 150-200(max) Watt Osram MH...again I would need your help for getting that in bangalore.

Will discuss in detail with you over the weekend

I am also planning to build a pj. I am having difficulties procuring the materials needed. if someone can help me out, that will be great. I am put up in mumbai.

The allied optics bangalore, got back to me with the following for triplet

Triplet Lens 1,800.00
Packing Charges 50.00
Excise Duty @ 8% 148.00
Edu. Cess @ 3% on E.D. 4.44
VAT 12.5% 250.31
Forwarding Charges 150.00

if u guys tell me if its fine, then I shall go ahead with the buy

I am also planning to build a pj. I am having difficulties procuring the materials needed. if someone can help me out, that will be great. I am put up in mumbai.

The allied optics bangalore, got back to me with the following for triplet

Triplet Lens 1,800.00
Packing Charges 50.00
Excise Duty @ 8% 148.00
Edu. Cess @ 3% on E.D. 4.44
VAT 12.5% 250.31
Forwarding Charges 150.00

if u guys tell me if its fine, then I shall go ahead with the buy

2402 for a triplet is too costly.You can search in mumbai locally... or contact lensel pune, from where you can pickup personally on weekend.Else you can ask one of ur friend to collect it from allied(i got it for 1600 without tax,vat,bill) and courier it to you...by that way it will cost you 1600+200(max---courier charges).

Thanks Bishnu ! I got these from Lensel yesterday

1. FRESNEL CONDENSER LENS (FOR NORMAL OHP) :

1. SIZE : 285mm X 285mm
    1. FOCAL LENGTH : f = 216mm&343mm
    2. THICKNESS : t = 4.0mm
    3. PITCH : p=0.5mm
    4. PRICE EX-WORKS : Deluxe quality – Rs 650/- (incl. Pkg.+ins.)

1. FRESNEL CONDENSER LENS – A4 SIZE
(a) SIZE : 310mm X 310mm

• (b) FOCAL LENGTH : f = 216mm/343mm

• (c) THICKNESS : t = 4.0mm

• (d) PITCH : p=0.5mm

• (e) PRICE EX-WORKS : Deluxe quality – Rs 800/- (incl. Pkg. Ins.)

1. SINGLE FRESNSEL LENSES – A4 SIZE

• (a) SIZE : 310mm X 310mm

• (b) FOCAL LENGTH : f = 216mm OR 343mm

• (c) THICKNESS : t = 2.0mm

• (d) PITCH : p = 0.5mm

• (e) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 400/- (incl. Pkg.)

1. SINGLE FRESNSEL LENSES – NORMAL

• (a) SIZE : 285mm X 285mm

• (c) THINKNESS : t = 2.0mm

• (e) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 325/- (incl. Pkg.)

1. MENISCUS LENS :
(a) SIZE : 89mm

• (b) FOCAL LENGTH : 11 inch

• (c) CENTER THICKNESS : 10.20 mm
(d) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 250/- (incl. Pkg.)

1. GLASS CONDENSER LENS
(a) SIZE : 60mm dia (39mm rad.. 40mm width)

• (b) FOCAL LENGTH : 75mm

• (c) CENTER THICKNESS : 15 mm
(d) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 250/-
(Minimum order quantity is 50 nos. for glass condenser lens)

1. TRIPLET LENS – THREE ELEMENT PROJECTION LENS
(a) BARREL DIA : 74mm

• (b) F# : 5.2

• (c) EFL : 315mm
(d) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 1860/-

Should I go ahead and order 1 & 2 mentioned in the list (650 + 800) ?? whats the difference between condensor and single fresnel ??

I am also planning to buy a 15.6 Wide screen LCD (LG W1643c) for this pirpose but dont know if the fresnel would be fit for this LCD !! do help

1. MENISCUS LENS :

1. GLASS CONDENSER LENS

Should I go ahead and order 1 & 2 mentioned in the list (650 + 800) ?? whats the difference between condensor and single fresnel ??

I am also planning to buy a 15.6 Wide screen LCD (LG W1643c) for this pirpose but dont know if the fresnel would be fit for this LCD !! do help

If ur going to build an unsplit design then u can get the first one or the second depending on the size you need, where both the collector and colimating fresnel are fused together to a single lens. if u plan for a split design then u can get the 3rd & 4th. Also the 310mm fresnels are not wide enough to cover a 15.6" lcd panel. you will probably lose about 1cm on either side of the lcd. i dont know of anyone in india who makes bigger fresnels, If u really need the full resolution, the only option is to import from either 3dlens or bhlens.

Last edited:

1. MENISCUS LENS :

1. GLASS CONDENSER LENS

Hi,
The first part answer is as given by Aramosfet..thanks to him

I would suggest you to go through this thread right from the begining to the end...you will get a clear picture of the LCD size to use,which lens to use and why it is difficult to build a projector with a combination of 315mm-317mm triplet and 15 inch screen.

Hope this will help you decide further about the LCD screen size.

Guide: Building a 100 inch LCD Projector (DIY-Self Made - Updated with Pics & Video) - Guides and Tutorials | TechEnclave

As suggested in the above thread,I have ordered for 216mm and 343mm lens from lensel.They charging me 1250 including shipping to bangalore+vat+blah blah..
I donot have a LCD yet, Planning to go for not more than 15 inch or even less than 15 inch LCD.I won't import anything from 3D lens as it is time consuming,customs hassels and items are fragile.

regards,
Bishnu

Hi,
The first part answer is as given by Aramosfet..thanks to him

I would suggest you to go through this thread right from the begining to the end...you will get a clear picture of the LCD size to use,which lens to use and why it is difficult to build a projector with a combination of 315mm-317mm triplet and 15 inch screen.

Hope this will help you decide further about the LCD screen size.

Guide: Building a 100 inch LCD Projector (DIY-Self Made - Updated with Pics & Video) - Guides and Tutorials | TechEnclave

As suggested in the above thread,I have ordered for 216mm and 343mm lens from lensel.They charging me 1250 including shipping to bangalore+vat+blah blah..
I donot have a LCD yet, Planning to go for not more than 15 inch or even less than 15 inch LCD.I won't import anything from 3D lens as it is time consuming,customs hassels and items are fragile.

regards,
Bishnu

Hi bishnu, Sorry i couldnt call you last weekend. i was a bit busy. I went to optics allied last friday and got the triplet. i also enquired about the heat absorbing glass. he said it will cost about Rs300-400 for that. I'm planning to use it for isolation between the lamp and fresnel. later on i tried projecting some transperency sheets and it came out very well with the triplet. Its also important that the fresnel grooves should be facing each other for it to work. I'm still thinking about the box design. and the alignment mechanism for the fresnels, lcd and triplet. I have a few ideas in mind. I'm also not comfortable with outsourcing the box to a carpenter since we cannot think through the whole design at the beginning itself. and every time we need to change something we'll to go to the carpenter. So i'm thinking a doing the box construction myself.

Hi bishnu, Sorry i couldnt call you last weekend. i was a bit busy. I went to optics allied last friday and got the triplet. i also enquired about the heat absorbing glass. he said it will cost about Rs300-400 for that. I'm planning to use it for isolation between the lamp and fresnel. later on i tried projecting some transperency sheets and it came out very well with the triplet. Its also important that the fresnel grooves should be facing each other for it to work. I'm still thinking about the box design. and the alignment mechanism for the fresnels, lcd and triplet. I have a few ideas in mind. I'm also not comfortable with outsourcing the box to a carpenter since we cannot think through the whole design at the beginning itself. and every time we need to change something we'll to go to the carpenter. So i'm thinking a doing the box construction myself.

Hey aravind,

By basic nature of glass(ie. bad conductor of heat), any glass with a descent thickness can be used as a heat absorbing material.We can get such glass( also called TEMPERED GLASS) from any hardware shop.Generally these glasses are used on study tables(engineering students use it to copy machine drawing class assignment)So no need to go for it from allied.

Yes you are correct by saying.."Its also important that the fresnel grooves should be facing each other for it to work"
The basic concept is: The first lens act as a condenser that gathers light and the other one just the opposite....So both the grooves should face each other.

I would like to join you personally if you are building the box at home....

You can have the following naming convention for better understanding...
1.Fresnel that is closer to the triplet in a split design----FrontFresnel
2.Fresnel that is closer to the bulb in a split design--- BackFresnel
3.In between the bulb and the BackFresnel you have the TEMPEREDGLASS

Now for your box design this is the calculation:
1.Distance of FrontFresnel from the triplet= FL of FrontFresnel
2.Distance of LCD from FrontFresnel= max 20mm
3.Distance of LCD from BackFresnel = max 20mm
4.Distance of the bulb from the BackFresnel=FL of BackFresnel
5.Imp: Donot cut the board untill and unless you get the perfect resolution...Once you get the desired resolution,you can fix the bulb first and then the triplet.
6.The best way to fix the triplet is switch on the bulb and try to focus the ray coming out of the FrontFresnel till it gathers at a point.(Ideally it will the focal length of the FrontFresnel)
7.Proper cooling should be there else there is a chance of burning out of the box also.(prefer MDF as it is light weight)
8.If you are using a reflector for the bulb(so as to use the wasted light), it's focal length should be equal to the bulb glass focal length...(i don't know how to get that :D)

Try to get some time so that we can meet(that will be better) and discuss in detail.

Keeping the above mentioned points in mind and take some designs(images of an already completed box) to the carpenter and ask him to build.test/adjust it at his shop.otherwise the box will be bulkier and unpleasent.

I am waiting for my lenses from Lensel. once those arrive, I can buy either a chinese LCD TV or a 15inch LCD monitor and a LCD Tuner card.

Bishnu

Hey aravind,

By basic nature of glass(ie. bad conductor of heat), any glass with a descent thickness can be used as a heat absorbing material.We can get such glass( also called TEMPERED GLASS) from any hardware shop.Generally these glasses are used on study tables(engineering students use it to copy machine drawing class assignment)So no need to go for it from allied.

Yes you are correct by saying.."Its also important that the fresnel grooves should be facing each other for it to work"
The basic concept is: The first lens act as a condenser that gathers light and the other one just the opposite....So both the grooves should face each other.

I would like to join you personally if you are building the box at home....

You can have the following naming convention for better understanding...
1.Fresnel that is closer to the triplet in a split design----FrontFresnel
2.Fresnel that is closer to the bulb in a split design--- BackFresnel
3.In between the bulb and the BackFresnel you have the TEMPEREDGLASS

Now for your box design this is the calculation:
1.Distance of FrontFresnel from the triplet= FL of FrontFresnel
2.Distance of LCD from FrontFresnel= max 20mm
3.Distance of LCD from BackFresnel = max 20mm
4.Distance of the bulb from the BackFresnel=FL of BackFresnel
5.Imp: Donot cut the board untill and unless you get the perfect resolution...Once you get the desired resolution,you can fix the bulb first and then the triplet.
6.The best way to fix the triplet is switch on the bulb and try to focus the ray coming out of the FrontFresnel till it gathers at a point.(Ideally it will the focal length of the FrontFresnel)
7.Proper cooling should be there else there is a chance of burning out of the box also.(prefer MDF as it is light weight)
8.If you are using a reflector for the bulb(so as to use the wasted light), it's focal length should be equal to the bulb glass focal length...(i don't know how to get that :D)

Try to get some time so that we can meet(that will be better) and discuss in detail.

Keeping the above mentioned points in mind and take some designs(images of an already completed box) to the carpenter and ask him to build.test/adjust it at his shop.otherwise the box will be bulkier and unpleasent.

I am waiting for my lenses from Lensel. once those arrive, I can buy either a chinese LCD TV or a 15inch LCD monitor and a LCD Tuner card.

Bishnu

Hey aravind,

By basic nature of glass(ie. bad conductor of heat), .
True but glass only blocks the movement of heat from the lamp chamber to the lcd chamber. It does not block the infrared radiation(heat). When the IR falls on the lcd panel it is dissipated as heat. Thats why i was looking at heat absorbing glass. If the tempered glass is heat absorbing then we can definitely for for it. There's another option. We can get GE Lexan polycarbonate sheets from bvk iyengar road. A lot of people from lumen labs forum use this to block IR.

As for the reflector i'm planning to use a suitable stainless steel bowl similar to norpro.

For the design, as per my rough calculation the box would have o be 75cm long, 40cm wide and 40cm high. The length is a problem for me. so i'm planning to have a collapsible front section, front fresnel to triplet. A wood panel holding the triplet will be fixed to one end of whip antenna( long expandable/collapsible whip antenna used for radios and tv's) These will be fixed on four corners of the panel holding triplet. the other end of the antenna will be fixed to the projector box.
By pulling/pushing the front panel we can adjust the distance between triplet and front fresnel. When not in use, the antenna can be fully collapsed so it becomes more compact to carry around. I can explain this more clearly when we meet.

Also i'm attaching a pic of the projection i got last week with a 60W bulb and transparency.

Attachments

• Projector.jpg
    Projector.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 278
We can get GE Lexan polycarbonate sheets from bvk iyengar road. A lot of people from lumen labs forum use this to block IR.

This is a great thing that you have found out.Really if it is not costly, we can go for it.

With 60W incandescent bulb the result is OK type. I think 150W-200W MH will make a good PJ with lesser power consumption. what do you say? Also did you ever try with LED array?

This is a great thing that you have found out.Really if it is not costly, we can go for it.

With 60W incandescent bulb the result is OK type. I think 150W-200W MH will make a good PJ with lesser power consumption. what do you say? Also did you ever try with LED array?

The 60 W bulb had a very good contrast ratio as u can see. I tried with fluorescent lamp but the contrast as very bad. This is because CFLs are not point sources. I dont have an LED array so haven't tried that. If we have access to led array we can give it a try. Basically it should be a matrix of focused leds with a beam angle of 5-10 degrees. and the back fresnel is not required. The problem with it as of now is high intensity leds are expensive and do not produce a parallel beam of rays behind the lcd as well as a MH lamp and fresnel. Hence the they are not widely used as of now. how ever i did find post on lumenlab, someone from china had used an led array and got quite good results. I'll post the link here if i find it.

Also remember the transparency i used is nearly 90% transparent. where as the lcd is only 5-10% transparent. So i suspect the final result with MH lamp and LCD would only be as good as or slightly better than the transparency.

I enquired about the lexan at a place near bvk iyengar road. he said it'll cost about 300-350 per Sq foot. but he didnt have a readily available piece for me. I'm sure if we search nearby shops we should be able to get it.
ya then we can go for it...One more thing...you can have a separate enclosure with fans and heatsinks installed esp for the bulb...this way you can reduce the size of the projector...

or we can go for a mirror (reflection) based projector in which the lower compartment contains the bulb and other electical circuitary and the upper portion contains the lens setup....see the attached image

Attachments

• Projector-basic%20layout.jpg
    Projector-basic%20layout.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 290
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.