NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fresnel

badepapa,

see the thickness of your lens. my single fres is 2 mm thick while
a fused fres is around 4 mm( standard measurements).

my LCD monitor is Miyota: 6" diagonal.

cost rs 2800 without receipt from lamington road.

No VGA input. will try to find whether there is anything like VGA to RCA cord. i don't know whether such thing exists or no but i have found too many things at lamington road which i had not imagined.

wanted to keep my project a low cost one as this is my first project and i am not a person trained in electronics or electricals. so got LCD with minimum possible cost.

i have spent rs 6800 in total till now (1800 on LEDs, 2800 on LCD, 2000 on lenses , 400 in stationary, travel etc).

Lensel

amit,
you can call lensel on phone. it is given on their website.

i am originally from pune. so i went personally to Lensel when i visited home. tremendous reduction in cost. they ship the lenses anywher in India for rs 3000. i got them for rs 1810 inclusive of VAT.spent 150 rs on petrol to reach lensel.
i also got the lenses cut to required size from lensel only. if you tell them in advance about the size you need, they will cut it for you .

how much did the fresnel + triplet cost you?

Hi Doctor,

The lens I have is around 5mm thick. I don't care about it now as I am getting the required projection ;).

I am in Noida and got the lenses from a local dealer of OHP spares in Delhi. The cost of fresnel is Rs 650 /=. I am not using a Triplet as I did not get one :(. I am using a singlet used in OHP's, but its good enug to start of. Will replace it wid triplet when I find one. Its not possible for me to go to Pune for lenses. Will try to find some friend in Pune to get the triplet for me.

Regarding the VGA to RC conversion, there are these converters available in market on any computer shop. These are very common, just tell them that you want to connect your PC to your TV.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Good Luck

Amit

you got the lenses at absolutely right price.

lensel sells OHP fresnel for 650+ taxes and single fresnl for 325+ taxes.

triplet is for rs 960+ taxes. so if your dealer is giving lenses at that cost, go for him.

there are many OHP manufacturers in ( i don't exactly remember) i think amritsar. what you acn do is go to alibaba.com and put search for OHP manufacturers in India. you will get their contact information. those people respond within a day.

may be they can provide you with triplet.

i am building box for my final projector in 25mm thick thermocol.
i can do that as LEd panel is extremely lighwt. and i don't need fans either. if this does not work, i will have to go to carpenter.

got something called fogged glass. will see what happens if i put it before LCd instead of fres1. will try to use the LCd CFL as well to improve brightness.
vikram

Re: odd distances

jaudere said:
:att'n:

hi,

still unable to use jpeg compression (there was no such option) and zipping is reducing size by just 10kb.very odd.
please tell me the method in detail so that i can send images.

another odd thing. just see the distances i have to use to get best image( 20x at 10 feet)

LED panel to Fres 1 (343mm FL): 28 cm

fres1 to LCD: kept in touch with each other

fres1 to fres 2 (216mm FL): 12 cm

fres2 to triplet: have to keep in touch with each other to get best image :bigeyes:

you might think that i am doing something wrong. but i think you will accept it if you see the images. another thing is that i am using LEDs. i don't know whether that is making the difference.

Sorry for the late reply. I out of town.

Don't use the fresnel between the LED panel and LCD. distance between LED panel and LCD should be around 1 to 2 CM. use a fresnel around 300 mm between LCD and triplet.That fresnel should be around 2 cm from the LCD and around 300 mm from triplet.

Down load PICCASA software from google it is free. choose the image you want, use the export option. A dialogue will pop up where you can adjust the JPEG compression and adjust resolution.Keep experimenting till you get a good image under 100 kb

gitesh,

did you see the first image that i have sent? i took it with keeping LED panel behind OHP slide( i was using OHP slide in place of LCD) and without using fres behind slide.. you can see the grid problem there(ultiple dots corresponding to each LED).
tried frosted glass to correct that problem but no use.

i tried to project LCDyesterday. watched 3-4 songs.

the best distance were
LED to fres 1: 28cm, Fres1 and LCD in contact.
fres1 to fres 2 :12 cm and fres2 to triplet 12 cm.

learned few things.

1) my final box has to be wooden. thermocol cannot hold assembly for long and i could not cut it precisely.

2)LEDs will work but 100 is not enough( may be because i am keeping the LED and LCd 28 cm apart). peple had warned me about this but i wanted to experiment.

3) i must use white screen.i projected the pict on wall which is light green coloured.

4) i have find menas to improve brightness.
may be by i) reducing the distence between LEDs and LCD ii)removing anltiglare film if possible iii) adding two 20 watt CFLs.

lets see

>>> I predicted this would happen.Thats why I told to use 5 mm LED so the light will be more uniform.When you use 10mm LED brightness will be much less in the perimeter of each LED hence you get the uneven Grid pattern

>>> There is absolutely no point in using Fresnel between led and LCD.It is very very inefficient. The Fresnel expects a point light source like the inner bulb in the metal halide lamp. Now most of the light that is projected will be coming from a couple of led's from center of the LED panel.So IF you are using LED 's and need a bright projection don't use the fresnel.

>>> I suggest that you use a metal halide lamp with fresnel or make an LED panel with closely spaced 5 mm LED's to get good results.5 mm white LED's are available for 1.5 RS in Bangalore minimum quantity 250. Even if the lumen out put is a bit less it may be compensated as the no of LED is more.

>>>Removing anti glare will not help much It is also very risky .

Good luck ,keep experimenting.

i do remember you had warned me.

i used a distance of 28 cm bet LEds and LCD. may be that is ONE of the reasons.

there are many varieties of 5 mm LEDs. the brightest were 22000mcd and the cost was rs 16 each in a reliable shop. what is the mcd value of those rs 1.5 LEDs

i tried removing the fres between LEds and LCD but somehow it reduces the brightness. will try again.

LEDs did not fail completely. and i am not getting the grid problem.
just the brightness was lower(will say it was not poor but it was average.anyway taht is subjective perception)

pushing up the brightness will do the trick and i am going to add cheapest, easiest source which was my second option. The CFLs.

got 2 30watt CFLs today.
will give me additional 3500 lumens when put together.
if even that does not work, of course MH is the trusted source. but i will never learn without experimenting.( basically went for LEds because i saw someone being successful with it and i do not regret it).

I've started

Today I've ordered my fresnel lens i.e dual focus heat merged twin fresnel lens and 74mm 285 mmFL triplet with Lensel Optics, Pune. I think they will arrive in a week.

Than I'll start a test rig and then work on making the box for the projector.

Keep posted about the improvements

I'm from India

I'm actually from India. My optical components I've rdered are
dual Fresnel lens 216mm/343mm FL (310mm X 310mm) Deluxe quality, t = 4.0mm, p=0.5mm, Rs 800/- and
Triplet three element projection lens 74 mm dia, 315 mm EFL, Rs 960.00/ from Lensel Optics, Pune.

If anyone who had successfully made a good projector with these set of lenses please post here. Thanks

hi,

even i got lenses from lensel. but i got separate lenses 216 mm FL 343 mm FL. triplet is same.

i think all those who have made projector successfully are enjoying movies on it and you are left with us who are still building it. :D

have you gone through the whole thread.? may be you can send e mails to those people. then there are sites like diyprojectorcompany.com

what light source you are using? what size of LCD you are using?

what is a test rig? is it same as the testing box or what? i had heard this word while reading about Bombay high(oil rig).:confused:

I'm joining with you

I just ordered today? How long it took for lensel to ship the lensel after you send the DD/check?

I plan to use 250 W MH lamp with 15" monitor. Samsung 540N .
In http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=87959&perpage=10&pagenumber=37 it is mentioned that "If you fail and plan to buy a 15" one then FYI Samsung 540N is easily strippable and has no FFC issues."

But in http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61&st=20 it is mentiones that "Samsung 540n has a ffc issue if it hasn't already been stated."

I don't know which one to believe, Because I have one samsung 540N monitor which is working fine with good picture quality. So I prefer to use. Nearmy house there is a Samsung Service Centre. So I'm planning to get their help in stripping the monitor for one single service charge. I think they might be knowing about their monitor models much better than us.

What you think. I am not going to use 7" or 10" car lcds.

Ok, let us see. I've ordered fused fresnel lens, inwhich both fresnels are fused together by heat so that the concentric circles in both fresnels match each other and I learnt from lumenlab also that fused fresnels produce good results than split fresnels lens. That's why I'd ordered that. Before that I was also greatly confused as to order what type of lens.

But split lens will also work good if aligned well and in dual lens setup keystoning adjustment is possible whereas in fused lens setup it is not possible, I think.

Any ideas opinions please. I've just entered into the DIYers wagon.
Thanks.

i am using 6" LCd to start with.

2 reasons, one , i didn't want to waste money( in case i fail)
i wanted it to be a compact one. my final dimensions will be some 45cm x 34 cm x 15cm.

about stripping LCD, i am not a techno guy but i could do it myself without anyone's help in 45 minites. so if you are from engineering background, it shouldn't be a problem. just go on opening all screws carefully. and you will be there. i think bigger LCd should be even easier.

i went personally to lensel when i visited my home in pune. so cannot tell you about the time when you will get it.

thought a lot about keystoning but could not design it. will still try.
with 15" LCd, your projector is going to be a big one and of course you will get very good picute quality.

Hi Guys,

This I mounted all the stuff in a wooden box, properly done.
But...
Butt...
Buttt....
after putting the LCD in place the picture I am getting is very dull :(

Any suggestions for improving it ????

I am using 150 W MH Lamp, The pistue is sharp but very dull. If I use a glass sheet with something written on it, the brightness is good.

I already tried increasing the brightness on LCD, not much gains there.

Will try to remove the anti-glare coating and see.

Finally will have to change the LCD screen. The LCD I am using is 7" Super LCD TV.

Hope I will get the Picture right soon.

Gitesh, I think I am using the same LCD TV as you have. Did you get the same problem ???

Amit.

jaudere said:
i do remember you had warned me.

i used a distance of 28 cm bet LEds and LCD. may be that is ONE of the reasons.

there are many varieties of 5 mm LEDs. the brightest were 22000mcd and the cost was rs 16 each in a reliable shop. what is the mcd value of those rs 1.5 LEDs

i tried removing the fres between LEds and LCD but somehow it reduces the brightness. will try again.

LEDs did not fail completely. and i am not getting the grid problem.
just the brightness was lower(will say it was not poor but it was average.anyway taht is subjective perception)

pushing up the brightness will do the trick and i am going to add cheapest, easiest source which was my second option. The CFLs.

got 2 30watt CFLs today.
will give me additional 3500 lumens when put together.
if even that does not work, of course MH is the trusted source. but i will never learn without experimenting.( basically went for LEds because i saw someone being successful with it and i do not regret it).

I think those 1.5Rs LED were 10000mcd but still it could be a good option. I congratulate you for taking the bold step with LED lighting .I was only trying to help as I have a bit of experience with machine vision lighting.Long back I had designed LED lights for testing machine vision cameras.from that I learned that to get an even light pattern LEDs have to be as close as possible to each other.Also keep the LED's around 2 CM from the LCD.And don't use fresnel between LED and LCD.

Good luck. :)

hi amit,

don't be in a hurry to change LCD. when you tried to project LCD with your test box, did you get adequate brightness?

i had same problem. with OHP slide, picure is good but with LCD, bright ness is not good. may be this is because of the colour of the LCD screen which will be an inherent thing with all LCDs.
Macx ( find his name in first 2 pages of the thread)was successful with the same 7" super LCD. so i don't think that's the problem.

have you coloured the wooden box (beyond LCD) black from inside?may be that will help. what i am doing is adding 2 CFLs 30 watt each which will give me 3500 lumens extra. but i am not yet finished. so cant tell whether it will be suceessful or no.

keep trying.

vikram

reflectors

amit, are you using reflector assembly for your MH lamp? in the pic you sent, it was not there.

i had a tough time(mentally) to find out good reflector for my CFLs.
finally i cut a plastic jar to get a curved piece and covered it with aluminium foil. that gave much better results than those with plain mirrors and scooter headlamp reflectors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.