New products from Sakura Systems

Scottmoose said:
So what are we talking about here anyway ~£150-200 or so to build the lot, right?

The Gaincard was one of the most cynical marketing ploys outside the cable industry. This is almost as bad.

The Gaincard price reflected R&D, and I have yet to see someone who has actually heard it, claim it was a marketing ploy, and not quite simply a terrific amp worth the price. Before the Clones and Clowns.

This new thing from Sakura appears to have none of the originality the Gaincard could boast, but still remains to be heard.

Who started to discuss "how cheap the parts are - and what a ripoff this amp is"?
I certainly did not. It is the same as always: I f you listen to it and you like it, and the price is out to that, why not buy it and be happy. But all that should not be the discussion here.
(Although this amp looks like a hand made product not so much unlike the gaincard itself, it uses off the shelf cases, which give much more a DIY effort, very unlike - say - Peter's products...)

I am interested (without having the chance to listen to that particular amplifier) how other peoples chips-amps work.
Can it work with that small psu caps? I have never used less then 1000µF, but some of you have tested that with at lest some success, havn't you?
But how can it claim almost 2 x 40W / 8 Ohms?

Here's a reveiw of the Ray Samuels Emmeline CA-2 preamp:

http://tinyurl.com/oftu8

The circuitry looks to use the level of parts and technology as the KORE-EDA. Maybe the KORE-EDA is voiced differently, though?

It's worth noting that the CA-2 retails at $695.

It's also worth noting Dick Olsher's comment that "...the CA-2 puts to shame $5,000 solid-state line stages..."

If the KORE-EDA preamp performs on par with or better than the CA-2 and also puts to shame $5,000 solid-state line stages, would the $1,650 retail price then still be too much in your mind?

Best,
KT

Am I the only one who finds that review of the Ray Samuels Emmeline CA-2 preamp a bit confusing?

A single high-gain stage replaces multiple gain stages, and by exploiting the inherent matching of transistors fabricated on the same IC chip (i.e., NPN to NPN and PNP to PNP), high open-loop gain and low noise are ensured.

The topology of each channel is quite simple: an AD794 gain stage (4.5dB), followed by an AD794 driver stage that adds a bit of gain for an overall gain of 9 dB - just about right for a line stage.

So is that one gain stage or two? :confused:

I'm sure that most of us here don't have to pay thousands of dollars in order to experience the so called "if you listen to it you'll like it" effect :D:D:D

We use to have at least a dozen chip-amps of various models in our part boxes and we play with them when we are really bored... See...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

I came across this thread while searching.

Wow that's ugly! http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/koreeda.html

What is the RS or farnell code for that case ?

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue2/shigaraki.htm

" The adhesive holding the power supply chassis inside the ceramic housing had disintegrated before I received the unit, allowing the guts of the unit to fall out."

"I freely admit that in those few weeks I unplugged and re-plugged the cables more than any normal user would do in a lifetime, but finally, upon unplugging one of the analog cables, the exterior ground shell of the DAC’s RCA jack came off with the cable, leaving a black plastic stub sticking out of the DAC and a metal ring wedged firmly inside my cable’s RCA connector. "

Strange review....

I like mine better!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 584
Nuuk said:
Can I vote for mine? :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Oh yes indeed! I like that very much. Nice chrome too -I hadn't seen that before.

Sorry guys. But the commercial versions (the Gaincard and this new one for example) are as far as I'm concerned simply a way to relieve mugs of their money. They usually sound quite nice, so long as they aren't pushed too hard, but they are emphatically not worth the ludicrous and morally unjustifiable prices charged. Especially given the rotten build quality, for which they have the brass face to charge a fortune, and would shame an entry level NAD3020 from the late 1970s. Most of the DIY versions are much better built, and better designed as well, like our mutual friend's above. And how much does it cost for R&D on these things? A couple of weeks worth of playing with different circuit ideas with power op-amps on the kitchen table. Not exactly NASA budget, is it?

sinski said:
Does anybody heard the new Kore Eda pre/power ?

It looks like everybody(including me...) is discussing about the taste of expensive wine, but nobody tried even a small drop of it.

sinski

Sinski,

I think everyone is commenting on the look of the amp, the general vibe, and the amp price/materials price ratio. I don't think anyone here has heard the amp so far.

I, for one, am very interested in how it sounds. Still, little quirky amps like this (and the Gaincard) seem to have a highly motivating effect in the DIY community.

Though not everything is to my taste, I love the interesting and sometimes inspiring DIY chassis solutions these amps have engendered amongst home builders.

Best,
KT

I think it's a free market and they derserve what ever the market allows. I would think that those that would "Audition" the Koreeda would not care about the price.

I'm also pretty sure that Sakaru Systems can handle a little of our fun at their expense. :)

How often does a poor guy built himself a Rolls?