New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How critical are the size/type of the caps?

For example, is there any problem if the 22uF to Gnd on the input IC (opa627) is actually 47uF or maybe a film capacitor? Same thing about the two 22uF caps on the 4N35?
On one circuit I see the 22uF/100 MKS4 caps specified for all 3 of these.

Also, i see the 0.1uF cap on the 4N35 opto specified as the 630v Zn 3% (the Phillips cap) - is there similar optional devices and for what advantages? Musicaps? Obbligato? Mundorf? Rifa Styrene? etc

Here's the picture, I hope it goes well, I'll try to remove the cap

Attachments

• 20171213_200749.jpg
    20171213_200749.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 570
In my (just completed) build, it was buzzing until I fully closed the box. I guess the buzz depends on the volume control, as the pot affects the impedance between the opamp noninverting input, the ground, and the signal source. In any case it went quiet with the box (a Hammond extrusion) closed and sealed.

I had a similar issue previously with my build of Pearl 2 (thank you Wayne :) ), and also could only solve it by fully closing the box. There I had to use lock washers under some of the flat head screws to get electrical contact between anodized panels of the enclosure.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.