• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New MINI ZEN Headphone Amp PCB group order...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. Where did you get the chassis?
I bought it from Elfa.se, the manufactorer is Teko in Italy:
http://www.teko.it/Eng/ENCLOSURES/frame.htm
The page works in frames so I couldnt link you directly:-( Its in the RF series, and called Dissipator. Check out the homepage for a local dealer.
2. Why the heatsinks? Was the chassis it's self not enough to cool the amps?
Because it was easier to mount the hole thing on the bottom. I didnt try to use the amp, with only the chassis as a heatsink. I did use the sidepanels of the chassis as heatsink for the reg's though. Have a look.
Its running 290 mA. The regs are the 2 small perfboards at the rear.

Steen:cool:

BTW I dont think the chassis itself will do the heatsinking:xeye:
It runs fairly warm.

Attachments

• zen_headphone_amp_top.jpg
    zen_headphone_amp_top.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,049
I hope to finish mine soon, but I have been busy on my Krell Clone, Pass Mini-A, Hypex UcD-180's and the speakers all of them will be tried / used on...
That situation sounds quite familiar to me:D :D Just one more thing; The pinout of Q3 that digi01 uses, isnt the same as the ZTX450 and other normally used transistors! I used MPSA18 and had to twist the legs a bit:)
Check the designation on the board and compare it to whatever transistor you will be using:)

hi steenoe,
Really nice building!what headphone are you using now?have you compare the difference of regulator psu and unregulator psu?

For the heatsink,I agree with steenoe.mine is a 3mm thickness,A4 paper size aluminium board for the chassis&heatsink.

to r_jik45,
I have run the Zen headamp with a couple of 35V unregulate power supply for dual mono,and a single 22V regulate psu for 2channel.I think the regulate psu make a preferable bass.

Z.

what headphone are you using now?have you compare the difference of regulator psu and unregulator psu?
I have a pair of Beyerdynamics DT880. I didnt compare the reg psu to an unregulated, since I had this regulated supply made allready. Just had to remove one Zener each side to get 24V.
The amp sounds fantastic. I didnt do any mods to make it fit the Beyer's. They are higher impedance than Grados, but that doesnt seem to be a big concern.

Steen:)

Yep, I guess you are right about that The Beyer's never sounded better

Hello Steenoe
thank you for your nice remarks.
Today about 200 amplifiers have been built, at least from the feedback I received straightly from the builders.
Sooner or later there will be an improved version of this amplifier, as soon as time will permit to develop some ideas.
Anyway... happy that you found it pleasant!
All the best from Italy

Marcello

Sooner or later there will be an improved version of this amplifier, as soon as time will permit to develop some ideas.
Tortello, I am amazed allready by this amp:D If you have some improvements, up your sleeve, that would be even greater;) Now that I started etching my own boards, I will jump right in, for sure:D If you post those nice pdf's again;)

to keypunch,
I have try to reply your mail,as though having some odd SPAM from Windows infected machinies filling your eMail box.
I have some boards available.at the same time I am going to make a pure balanced layout.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=416657#post416657

for the shipping,yes it is still apply.$6USD,by air to
Canada or anywhere.

to tortello,
what do you think the balanced layout?thank you.

:)
Z.

According to Digi01, i can provide this board again as a group buy, the board and/or kit, we are (me and him) plan to coperate to make this "on" again.
As usual, quantity in group buy is a matter ;)
So if anybody here interested, mail me and we look and count is ok or no to proceed.

all the best,
a'af

The price and the shipping cost is same as in first post, the board is US$ 4 (needs 2 for stereo) also US$ 5 for shipping, thanks.

but as i mentioned before, i start when the amounts is ok ;)

if you order 8 pieces, till now only just 10 boards :(

Hope 20 pieces and i will run it!! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.