New Jordan driver - preliminary details

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd call them complementary. Martin's cover a much wider variation of pipe tapers & driver offsets, but not the coupling-chamber type, or different types of stuffing material. They also have slightly different alignments; Martin was aiming to extract a little more LF output. There is also a spreadsheet available for Martin's alignments so you don't need to do the calculations manually. AFAIK, nobody ever extended Augspurger's work sufficiently to create an equivalent spreadsheet, although it could be done. Rick Schultz (sort of) continued Augspurger's work for simple untapered pipes in his Alpha TL article for AudioXpress.

OK, thanks to Scott and Dave.

I ask because I'm on a Mac and not inclined to install Windows/Parallel. Plus the higher cut-off of the Augspurger's alignments fit with what I'm trying to do with subs. The new extended alignments in the SB article look interesting but off-topic for here, perhaps.

Last edited:
Colin try Crossover I use it to run WinISD on my iMac though it may not cope with more intensive programs.

Now that looks very interesting - nice to avoid the countless entreaties for updates if you're using Parallels and an old XP license on your Mac, and the new W7 has a learning curve of its own. I'd rather simply have my computer do what I ask than have it tell me it's out of date every couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the hyperbole (or is it? :D), but I'm currently going through the process of replacing my 8yr old PC at work with a new W7 machine in a networked environment, and all the joys entailed therein.

An update to this thread now that I've trundled down to darkest Wales to visit Ted Jordan.

Ted gave me a pretty thorough dem of the new Eikonas, initially running them in a pair of 6 litre enclosures, without any BSC or EQ. They were being run in place of his usual JXR6 linear arrays.

I thought the new drivers sounded very good indeed. Better balanced than the JX92, with none of the HF lift evident on my (Vifa-built) 92s. Imaging was excellent. Overall I rated the sound as good as the arrays. And they go loud.

In the 6L box they went down to the mid-70s. From there he was blending them in with a pair of powered subs. It made for a nice, wide-bandwidth system. On a lot of music, we didn't miss the subs when they were switched off.

Ted then ran an Eikona in one of his VTL enclosures (slightly modded to take the unit). Now it had serious welly, with strong output to 35Hz or so. The wider baffle also made a difference, giving it a bit of body.

Finally, Ted ran the Eikona in a two-way arrangement with the JXR6. I'm not sure of the crossover frequency but the JXR6 didn't seem to add anything. I would say the Eikona's HF is good enough without it. I rate the JXR6 very highly but won't be using one when I get my hands on the Eikona.

Hope that's of interest. I'm looking forward to what I can do with these little blighters when I get my hands on a pair.

Ted then ran an Eikona in one of his VTL enclosures (slightly modded to take the unit). Now it had serious welly, with strong output to 35Hz or so. The wider baffle also made a difference, giving it a bit of body.

In view of a possible driver update I think very intersting for older VTL Jordan owners like me to see a guide on how to modify old VTL enclosures for Eikona!

northernsky

In view of a possible driver update I think very intersting for older VTL Jordan owners like me to see a guide on how to modify old VTL enclosures for Eikona!

northernsky

There's a new VTL plan on the Jordan site and here

Eikona Loudspeaker Systems

The cutout needs increasing to 122mm. If keeping the same cutout as the JX92, the new chassis stands proud by about 7mm (i.e. the chassis rim won't fit flush with the baffle because the rest of the chassis is too wide). A turned, circular sub-baffle would sort that and enable the new driver to be fitted without major surgery to the VTL cabinet.

I thought the Eikona sounded rather nice in the VTL. I wonder how it will do in Greg's MLTLs?

The cutout needs increasing to 122mm. If keeping the same cutout as the JX92, the new chassis stands proud by about 7mm (i.e. the chassis rim won't fit flush with the baffle because the rest of the chassis is too wide). A turned, circular sub-baffle would sort that and enable the new driver to be fitted without major surgery to the VTL cabinet.

Hi, thank you for the suggestions. Currently I am using the suggested BSC with the old drivers in the VTL cabinet. It is not mentioned in the new plan: not necessary anymore?

northernsky

Hi RDF - The Eikona's were toed-in like the JX92s but that is his preferred set up. It wasn't necessary to get the sound balance right as it is with the 92s.

GM - got me there. After I made the remark I started wondering how to do it. Getting the drivers will be the first step …

Due to the way I built my MLTLs, I can't adjust the port length (they are buried inside the cabinet) but I think a sub-baffle will be easy enough to organise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.