New input/output Selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Russ White said:

Wow thats a tall order. :)

The current answer is that with the circuit as it is, no you could not, but let me look at it a little closer. Thats a lot of inputs! :)

Cheers!
Russ

Not at all...
I too would like MANY inputs, 3 or 4, you can find anywhere...
(my collection; Tape, RIAA1, RIAA2, Tuner, MD, CD-R, CD1, CD2, DAC1, DAC2, TV, VCR, DVD, Satelite, Cable = 15) ... and then it would be nice to have a test-input, or two, so I did not need to rewire everytime I wanted to test new-made equipment ;-)

Arne K

C'mon Russ,

I'm needing motivation to get into a project. Renovating the workshop and building a garage has kept me busy, and I'm doing a woodwork course, so the electronics is missing out... (no not a 'powertool' ww course, one where darkside tools are learned, chisels, planes, that sort of thing)

and my ancient friend is still alive, it would make her day... I can see a source selector built into a redgum box...

Michael

maf_au said:
C'mon Russ,

I'm needing motivation to get into a project. Renovating the workshop and building a garage has kept me busy, and I'm doing a woodwork course, so the electronics is missing out... (no not a 'powertool' ww course, one where darkside tools are learned, chisels, planes, that sort of thing)

and my ancient friend is still alive, it would make her day... I can see a source selector built into a redgum box...

Michael

Hi Michael,

I always try to remember my Australian mates. Keep your ears to the ground. Darwin is coming. :D

So many projects, so little time..... Real work always gets in the way. :cool:

Cheers!
Russ

Darwin on its way :)

Darwin is a 6 in 2 out with loop selector which can be controlled very easily with two switches or three, or a microcontroller, or whatever. It is very flexible. It is designed to very small(1.5" x 4" x .625") and easy to mount even to the back plate of a preamp/amp. The idea is that the source/output switching happens very close to in/out jacks so cable runs for signal can be quite short. The switching relays are very good signal relays (G6K)

The interface wires (to switches or controller PCB) can be as long as you need them without penalty to your audio signal. This makes case wire routing much more practical and easy.

There is an output loop on the PCB so that the signal can pass through a preamp, EQ, or whatever prior to coming out the outputs if you desire. This loop can be jumpered I will use this loop to run the signal through my XBOSOZ/Joshua tree prior to outputs.

The source selector PCB consists of two channels with a common ground trace for all inputs and outputs. So with one PCB you can do stereo single ended with a shared GND. With two relay PCBs stacked and using a common control you could do stereo single ended with distinct switched GNDs or balanced inputs/outputs.

This relay PCB is the exact same size and has the same hole patterns as my attanuator which you can read about here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74224

So it is designed to stack with it. And can easily be integrated with the attenuator or the kookaburra (although the kooka will not stack).

Here are some options

A very simple control (no micro controller necessary) just need a +5VDC supply (could easily piggy back off the attenuator PS).

For input a simple 6 position rotary switch , and quality is not very important here as it is not in the signal path.

For output you could do:

A) A 3 position rotory with position A being output 1 position B being output 2 and position C being both.

B) two SPST switched one for each output.

There is also the option of using a microcontroller for remote control and display and such, but there is no such controller yet, but one is coming. For now the relay PCB will be available in about 2 weeks or so.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• relay.png
    relay.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,321
Re: Darwin on its way :)

Russ White said:
Darwin is a 6 in 2 out with loop selector which can be controlled very easily with two switches or three, or a microcontroller, or whatever. It is very flexible. It is designed to very small(1.5" x 4" x .625") and easy to mount even to the back plate of a preamp/amp. The idea is that the source/output switching happens very close to in/out jacks so cable runs for signal can be quite short. The switching relays are very good signal relays (G6K)

Cheers!
Russ

perfect!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.