New Floorstander Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A quick look at what I'm working on currently.
Volt B250.8, ATC SM75-150S, Eton ER4.

The boxes are just test boxes at the moment. They're sealed, but may end up as dipoles. On the other hand they may just stay sealed because the bass is just fantastic as is. Smooth, tight and controlled. Extension to the lowest octave is missing, but I may add a sub-woofer or try a Linkwitz transform profile. The Volt's have a small glitch in the FR and impedance plots signalling the beginnings of breakup modes at about 550Hz. But I'm croosing to the ATC at 375Hz at 24dB/oct, so it's already well down.

The ATC's are amazing drivers, superb, expolsive, attack and control. Almost horn-like in their rendition of snare drums and brass. Strings and vocals are smooth and detailed.
But the SM75-150S isn't easy to apply, requiring some EQ and careful integration. They start getting too directional above about 3.5kHz, so at the moment they're crossed out at 3.35kHz.

The ER4 has an interesting character. I haven't heard better reproduction of cymbals, especially ride cymbals. But sometimes it can sound a bit confused. I haven't flush mounted the drivers yet, and the protective HPF has been cobbled together with parts I had on hand. It's highly variable directivity is causing some issues with the power response, so I will be doing some experiments with waveguide loading the ER4 to manipulate the power response. I'll also be trying out some AC ribbons and maybe a dome as well.

It's all sounding very impressive considering the development is only in it's early stages.

Cheers,
Ralph.

Attachments

• eton-atc-volt6-1.jpg
    eton-atc-volt6-1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,438
(sorry for my english)
Nice!
IMHO Er4 is one of the best and absolutely not-confused at all!
Maybe it haven't the max SPL possible and it has medium spl with 2,83 volt ......but it sound great. What type of rear load have you applied
in your test box for the tweeter?
Cheers,

Thanks for the good words everyone.

Yeah, they are looking better than I was expecting. And they're certainly sounding great too.
You guys picked up on the reflection of the bricks pretty quick. I didn't even notice when I took the picture!
The whole box is a high-gloss black finish. I can't take any credit for the boxes though, I got them from another guy who made them for his now abandoned project. I figured it would be easier to use these rather than make my own. I'd still prefer a wood grain finish, but do they do look kinda cool - if a bit evil- in black.

IMHO Er4 is one of the best and absolutely not-confused at all!
I won't disagree with you at this stage Inertial. I've only had them running a couple of weeks and there's still lots of development work to do. I've already made several experiments with the rear loading, and haven't yet found what I'm looking for. But I have discovered they're tricky to integrate. At the moment they are firing into the top half of the enclosure which is loosely stuffed. Please let me know if you have some suggestions.

Where are you getting the AC ribbonds from? (and where did you get the ATC??)
I got the ATC mid from Ebay in Germany. Got lucky on that one! Another abandoned project. I bought them with some other drivers including another pair of Volt B250.8's I've had shipped here to Melbourne and some PHL2460's and Raven R2's still with my sister in Holland. More drivers than I know what to do with at the moment!
I'm still waiting for the AC ribbons from a group buy through here. I paid for them in April, but there's been some problems with delivery and I'm still waiting. Not too much longer I hope!

Cheers,
Ralph.

Hi!

I am very interested in your work as I plan to build a no trade loudspeaker for my pleasure.

For the XO I plan to use this device: Pro C28 FIR Controller
http://www.klein-hummel.com/html/st...dio_index_e.htm
because I can get one at dirt cheap price (a studio that unfortunately went to bankrupt).

I am looking for best of the drivers and the ATC drivers seem to undergo a kind of hipe. As is impossible to get any curve about those jewels.... and it's possible, I'd like to have a look
at your measurements of the SM75 and others.
You can send me any kind of file including all the files compatibles with Lspcad...
Thanks in advance

@+
Maiky

Hi Newfinish,

I can highly recommend the ATC mid for its intended purpose. I chose this driver because one of my key requirements is to avoid a crossover point in the 300-3kHz region. I have previously built 2 way systems and always felt that the transition between drivers at around 1-2kHz upset the stereo imaging.

With the ATC I get exceptional imaging. I had previously been listening to constant directivity horns and was worried I may lose some of the impact and imaging qualities of the horns. With my new setup I not only get a better balanced image, but also a much more consistent one across the entire listening area. It's really impressive the way the stereo image keeps its focus as I shift my listening position.

The horns are probably better suited to a larger room. I am listening from 3m away and have never been happy with the projection of conventional cone midranges and dome tweeters, finding these speaker types unengaging and the stereo image too diffuse. The ATC's seem to hit that sweet spot between the ambience and delicacy of cones+ domes and the impact and intimacy of horns in a medium sized room.

I can't comment on the Vifa drivers you mention, but in general I'm not a fan of largish diameter cones crossed over to 1" tweeters as there is generally a serious discontinuity in the power response and considerable lobing in the vertical axis due to the different dispersions of widely different radiator diameters. I should qualify that statement by pointing out that I intend it to apply to the main loudspeakers in your lounge room. The comments are less relevant to near-field monitors.

I hope that gives a better idea of the character of the ATC mids and what I'm trying to achieve with them.

Cheers,
Ralph.

Hi Maiky,

That's a very nice looking speaker management unit. FIR filters should sound very nice. The 5-7ms latency is very low too. I'm running a dbx driverack that has 15ms latency with IIR filters.

I also found it strange that there was no hard information of the SM75-150s'. They seem cloaked in mystery. But I'll be happy to blow their cover!
I'll post some graphs of the amplitude/phase and impedance of the ATC mids for you in the next day or two.

Cheers,
Ralph.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
newfinish said:
thx ralphs99 for the response
and 2 last questions ...in term of sound reproduction,is it realistic or does it color a bit or a lot?
and finally what do you mean by stereo image to diffuse,when you talk about tweets and cones?

I'm not sure about Ralphs opinion on the realism of the driver but I agree with his thoughts on soundstaging and imaging.

Its a well known fact amongs ATC owners and enthusiast that they make some of the most natural and realistic sounding drivers in the world.

Better yet instead of me telling you how they sound take a look at this review of an ATC speaker package:

http://guidetohometheater.com/speakersystems/5/index1.html

Considering how well the C7 handled real-world sounds like voices and effects, I was not surprised that it reproduced music with astonishing realism. I'm a symphonic-music nut, and with season tickets to one orchestra each summer and a contract to record all the winter concerts of another, I probably hear as much symphonic music as any reviewer. The ATC C7 came as close as any other system I've heard to reproducing the real sound of a real orchestra.

My measure of reproduced sound quality is a system's ability to raise goosebumps, and the C7 raised them so often it was sometimes almost exhausting. With two small exceptions I'll get to later, every instrument sounded so much like its real-world counterpart that I had to pay very close attention to hear any differences. Audiophiles who claim that reproduced sound isn't remotely like the real thing are either listening to the wrong systems (and probably in two channels) or are unfamiliar with the sound of real music. The 5.1 C7 did it right. Even screechy old Columbia and Mercury LPs were more musical than I've ever heard; yeah, the steeliness was still there, but it didn't drive me up the wall the way it usually does. The system easily passed the merciless next-room test, wherein, heard from another room, a really good system will sound like real instruments heard from another room.

The C7 had tremendous resolution, even at prodigious volume levels. At 105dBC SPL, which is about as loud as I can stand, there was no congestion. I could listen right into the complex wash of sound and follow any instrument I wished. Above all, the sound was effortlessly clean, in a way I have never before heard except from the real thing. Bass detail was phenomenal: bass drum was a visceral thud without a trace of hangover; and bowed double-basses throbbed, their individual cycles so distinct I could almost count them.

Apart from the midrange this is of course a completely different set of speakers to ralphs setup. I chose the ATC 9" bass driver to partner my ATC mid, so it does share nearly the same drivers as the speakers in the above review. It still isn't a fair comparison though because of the widely different design principles and details. But what's written in the review closely reflects my own feeling about the performance of both the ATC mid and the ATC SB75-234SC bass driver.

For me they are the best I've heard yet. Not cheap but you certainly get what you pay for here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.