• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Thinking out loud.... 3.3V aside..... Both of those work in master. ie. send BCLK/LRCLK to Pi rather than receive it. ;) The only thing I have verified working so far is SLAVE. ;)

Yeah I know... don't have a slave mode Dac! Thought *maybe* it would pass through and just let these work (Master mode) even though would negate the whole point of the FIFO 3ps jitter performance!

No we did not...but if the codec is a master then reclocking loses some of its meaning..

Yes, of course, I understand that. But it would be one thing that the "reclocking loses some of its meaning", vs there isn't any sound out put from any board that operates in master mode. It would be best to warn HB Digi+ and DAC+ Pro owners not to buy the re-clocking product at all. ;)

Also I posted in the beginning of this thread somewhere ..

Did you? I thought someone specifically asked (might have been Scott) what about the boards that already have OSC's on board. ie. those that send BCLK/LRCLK to the Pi as inputs and receive DATA as output, but you didn't specifically say....... "No it won't work, sandwiching a Kali between a Pi and one of those boards".

Kali works with DAcs that are slaves.

Lets' put that in BOLD!

Will be good to test it with our DACs (yeah I know you are waiting for the driver)

LOL. You read my mind. Where's the driver? ;)

I checked my posts...I didn't say it. I stand corrected .

regarding 3.3V...why would you get a recloaker and then use a DAC that takes 3.3V directly from RPI ??

Driver was tested and being uploaded on google drive ...something today so I get you off my back Clive :)

Did you? I thought someone specifically asked (might have been Scott) what about the boards that already have OSC's on board. ie. those that send BCLK/LRCLK to the Pi as inputs and receive DATA as output, but you didn't specifically say....... "No it won't work, sandwiching a Kali between a Pi and one of those boards".

Lets' put that in BOLD!

LOL. You read my mind. Where's the driver? ;)

And if it works.... You can thank the fool that made it possible to run the Pro board "slave", not using the Foxconn OSC's. ;)

Add dt param to use HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro in slave mode

Wow, that lit it up! Listening thru some sennheiser hd650's & amp, really enjoyable! (Tron soundtrack)

Thanks! Haha! The slave option does in fact... work. :D

I'll start throwing different sample rates at it.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 635
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 11.38.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 11.38.33 AM.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yep looks like you figured that out, The Kali powers the pi, not the other way around (Edit: maybe a good thing, even if it's not quite standard... possibly good for less noise?). Also the Kali does not provide 3.3v on the GPIO, nor pass it thru from the pi. So any Hat will need on board reg's.

Far as I got was light the different sample rate LED's (no sound).

So that PHATDAC works? For the heck of it I tried a hifiberry dac+ pro, digi+ since the Piano is not working (nothing from those either) (I did provide ext. 3.3V to them)

Scott,

If you PM me your address, I can send you an IQAudio R-Pi DAC to try.

I have a Mamboberry here for when a Kali makes it's way to my door. BTW, that it was designed to power the Pi instead of getting any power from the Pi was a great design feature of the original Mamboberry, IMHO. Looks like the new Mamboberry will do that too, but with less on-board filtering than the original one.

Also, I'm very curious to hear your impressions with the Digi+ on the Kali to your DAC. Was very surprised to hear that the Digi+ runs in master mode! I figured it used one of the Wolfson chips in slave mode. Or maybe it is the lack of a 3.3v feed that's causing it fits? If that's the case, you won't get it running without some extra fiddling!

CDSGAMES,

So I can feed 5v into the Kali with the jumper on and it will power the R-Pi or I can remove the jumper & then must power the R-Pi separately, correct? My plan is to use the later pretty much exclusively, that's what I'm setup for.

Finally, I'm personally ambivalent about no 3.3v feed from the Kali, whether it's a feed-through from the Pi or locally generated.

On one hand that will limit the number of situations where it will work. On the other hand, IMHO, using the 3.3v from the Pi to provide power to a DAC (or S/PDIF interface board) is a surefire way to not get very good sound. If you do decide to enable it in a later iteration, PLEASE generate it with a local LDO.

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
regarding 3.3V...why would you get a recloaker and then use a DAC that takes 3.3V directly from RPI ??

OK, well ignoring some of the foolish things that the 3.3V rail is being used for, I know of it being used for pull-ups. I see that as being a legitimate use and expect the 3.3V to be passed-though, your 40 pin header. ;)

Driver was tested and being uploaded on google drive ...something today so I get you off my back Clive :)

Driver being uploaded to Google Drive.... What I'm wanting to hear is that the source is on github and here is the link! ;) You mentioned that you were also going to supply some sort of utility to allow upload of DSP? Is this (and especially the source code) for this, going to be included with whatever you are uploading to Google Drive?

On one hand that will limit the number of situations where it will work. On the other hand, IMHO, using the 3.3v from the Pi to provide power to a DAC (or S/PDIF interface board) is a surefire way to not get very good sound.

People use the 3.3V for other things, not sound related or powering things sound related, even on audio HAT hardware. It needs to be there. Kali might not be HAT compliant or using an EEPROM, but something plugged into Kali could be. There is the expectation of both 5V and 3.3V supplies from the Pi. It needs to be "duplicated" on Kali, IMHO. This isn't an optional thing.